Question about load times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about load times

I should be getting my new SSD by this afternoon but I'm wondering, should I install my games on the SSD or continue putting them on my traditional HD. For load times and such would they load faster if they are on the SSD vs the HD or does it matter?

Re: Question about load times

I'm assuming your SSD isn't super huge. Most reasonably priced SSD's come in around 80GB - 150GB.

For most games, I recommend installing on HDD. Games, for the most part, tend to take large amounts of space. I installed all my games from the steam sale, and on average, they were about 8GB each. Of course, I didn't have to install them all, but my internet connection isn't the best, so I rather have installed them once and never deal with it again. However, if you're fine just keeping no more than a handful of games on your rig, then installing it on your SSD shouldn't be a problem, space-wise.

Another reason I'm a proponent of installing on your HDD is because it makes good habit. I try to keep my SSD limited to OS and drivers. Installing other things outside of the default drives just makes you aware of switching the installation location without forgetting.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're like me and get most of your games through steam, then games are automatically installed on the same drive steam is installed in. I didn't know this when I installed steam, so since I installed steam on my SSD, all games I purchased and DL'ed from steam were automatically installed on my SSD. After doing some research, I learned I could move the game to my HDD post-install, and simply create a junction (which is essentially a folder shortcut). There are just 2 catches with moving your steam installation:
    1) Valve-developed games can't be moved (TF2, HL2, L4D2, etc)
    2) There seems to be an issue with updating games that were moved. Updating just remains suspended. I moved the specific game folder back from HDD to SSD, re-ran steam, and it updated fine. I then moved the game folder back from HDD to SSD, and recreated the link.

As for load times, I'm under the impression it's faster if installed on SSD, but I can't confirm. Because of this, BC2 is the only game (outside of Valve games, for the reasons stated above) that I keep on my SSD. Outside of BC2, I could care less about load times, but that's me.

Comment

Re: Question about load times

I would install the game(s) and programs you play the most on the SSD, everything else on the HDD
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X