• Upgrade time hopefully.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8190MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 500 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor: Samsung 932B (1280*1024)
    Motherboard: 780i EVGA
    PSU: 750w Corsair

I have an older LGA 775 motherboard, and i was wondering if what would be the best upgrade for a graphics card. I don't want to upgrade the board since that would nullify my RAM and processor (both the best I can get with the board). I also don't have much of a budget ($200).

SLI is out of the option even though i have 3 PCI-e slots, since the 260 has been mostly discontinued, and I'm a bit torn on what to get out of the new generations. I've read articles on the new Radeons, and like them, but for some reason the pricing seems off (the 6xxx being cheaper than the 5xxx) and Nvidia is starting to do things I don't like. Just want some suggestions.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Upgrade time hopefully.

Your best bet would probably have to be the HD6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121399

The GTX460 is the next step up but it's about $30 out of your price range.

Though at your resolution, your GTX260 should be more than enough in practically any game.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

6850 always got good reviews. The one Acreo linked to is the one I would get if I were looking.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Ironically I'm even considering buying it myself in the coming months. My rig's almost identical to Sir-Nerd's (except for my larger screen and beefier video card).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use a GTX 260M and it works wonderfully on 1680 x 1050 resolution, so with what you have at the moment you are set unless you want to buy a new monitor :)

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Ah, another thing to consider assuming you have a good CPU cooler: OC your Q9550.

All you'd need to do is bump your FSB clock up. You can go as high as 424 (424 x 8.5 multi = effective 3.6 GHz) before you'd need to mess with Vcore settings.

If you don't know if your cooler can handle a OC, I'd bump the FSB clock a little by a little and run your machine through its paces (gaming and multitasking) while keeping a close eye on your core temps (use Core Temp). Each should never go past 71 C as anything higher would mean overheating.

That should give you a pretty decent increase in overall performance.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I have stock cooler, and it hits 70 as is, so I'm not going to try to OC the thing.
              |TG-6th|SirNerd

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                I have stock cooler, and it hits 70 as is, so I'm not going to try to OC the thing.
                I'd suggest getting a aftermarket ASAP. I know the stock cooler doesn't cut the cake on these C2D quad cores, whatever the brochure might say. If you had the Cooler Master Hyper 212 (for example), you could easily OC to 3.6 and load temps wouldn't go past 60 C.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I can't cram an after market cooler in my case, not enough headroom. The processor, under load, usually hits around 65-8 and stays there. I know what happens when a chip over heats, and I've never seen the symptoms.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Is the cramped case a necessity? If not that might be a good upgrade to consider as well, especially since you can take it with you when you rebuild.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The symptoms usually involve very slow computer performance. That's a sign that the chip is underclocking itself in an attempt to lower its core temps before finally resorting to shutting down your system completely so it can cool off.

As Namebot said, is the current case really needed? Can you get a bigger case? It would help and you can always take these parts with you.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Actually, it gave me an idea

bought these two things yesterday

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-042-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-223-_-Product

Give me something to do over the next week.
                        |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Eh, I think you kinda wasted some money on that Zalman. The CM cooler I linked to above works just as well if not better for less. Plus it's a hell of a lot harder to bend those fins than it is on the Zalman (which is very easy as I've used several of their fin-fanned coolers).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, after staying up till 2 in the morning, all the parts have been moved to my new Antec 300. I didn't bend the fans or anything, and the Zalman installed fairly simply. The temps at idle are around 33-34C and the temps at 100% load are only 45C at the max. This is a huge improvement over the 50C idles and almost 70 degree load temps.

Thank you for the idea.
                            |TG-6th|SirNerd

Comment

Glad it came together well.

Did you end up getting a new graphics card or did you stick with your GTX260?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X