Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The IPcalypse is coming!

http://inventorspot.com/articles/ipc...t_ip_addresses

This is not a conspiracy theory. According to the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) and Vint Cerf, Google's Chief Internet Evangelist, the Internet is coming to the end of the road when it will officially run out of IP addresses. At least the Internet as we know it today.
    According to ARPAgeddon and Hurricane Electric the supply of available public IPv4 addresses will be exhausted in about 10 days. (The second link has a countdown of available addresses.)

Yahoo is getting its servers ready to work with IPv6 but believes significant numbers of users (0.05% or 1 million users) will be unable to contact them if they provide service over both IPv4 and IPv6.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...Internet_users

Comcast is offering a beta test, including open source router software, to get its customers connected via IPv6:

http://www.comcast6.net/

AT&T, as of October, was lagging other ISPs in getting IPv6 deployed:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...-att-ipv6.html

June 8, 2011 will be IPv6 Day, in which large sites have agreed to provide service on IPv6 alongside IPv4:

http://www.neowin.net/news/world-ipv...g-for-24-hours

On June 8, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo! Akami, Limelight and other websites will join Internet Society in making the first major "test flight" to IPv6. With over a billion combined hits between the websites, these websites will be testing their infrastructure to ensure that they can handle the switch. During World IPv6 day, experts predict that only 0.05% of the Internet users will have trouble connecting to these websites due to misconfigured or misbehaving home network devices.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: The IPcalypse is coming!

Since this is a game site, how many games do you suppose will break due to IPv6 issues? As IPv4 is phased out, what will we have to do for legacy games to keep them working?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

xkcd forum has a good thread on this:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67711

Comment

Great, looks like I gotta reprep for IPv6 all over again. Time to talk to my hosting providers and see how they're going about implementing IPv6 for my web servers.

One big downside for me would be memorizing the potentially longer hex addresses of IPv6.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm going to laugh when Mediacom (my provider) utterly fails to handle the changeover with any grace at all. They're so incompetent that it's adorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
            I'm going to laugh when Mediacom (my provider) utterly fails to handle the changeover with any grace at all. They're so incompetent that it's adorable.
            Don't laugh yet, I might not be able to get online for a whole month knowing how crap-arse AT&T (my provider) is. Seeing how I waste 12+ hours every year on the phone with them, well, this switchover might quadruple that wasted time.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, the laughter I'm predicting will be from the shame I feel for them. Comcast is always lauded as being the anti-Christ but around here? Comcast Internet going down for 12 hours makes the local news. Mediacom being down for 12 hours is just another Monday.

Comment

For those interested a bit in the history of it all, Engadget just linked about it this morning:
                Vint Cerf on IPv4 depletion: 'Who the hell knew how much address space we needed?'

More of the story at the source link.

Funny that DARPA was in on it from the beginning. We always hear of the crazy science stuff DARPA is researching, but something turn out to be pretty big.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Remember that when IPv4 was designed, a typical minicomputer had less memory than the toys given away today with breakfast cereal. 64k bytes was a huge amount of memory. (This was long before the IBM PC with 10 times that memory when completely filled to capacity.) Four bytes of address was considered a huge amount of space. And the only people who could afford a networked machine were the most well-funded university researchers and defense contractors. Remember also that commercial use of the Internet was barred until the late 80's. If you wanted to sell something, you ran a BBS and your customers would dial you, or use a competing network like Fidonet. Such BBS's could connect to the Internet, but they were forbidden from sending commercial traffic over it.

The Internet was really "born" even earlier, the year that man first walked on another world, in 1969. That was the year that 4 very different mainframes around the country were equipped with Interface Message Processors (IMP) that allowed them to communicate with each other over phone lines. The IMP was the equivalent of a modern network interface card (NIC), far more primitive, and took up a whole 19 inch rack, as it was a minicomputer itself.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/arpanet.htm/printable

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                    Yeah, the laughter I'm predicting will be from the shame I feel for them. Comcast is always lauded as being the anti-Christ but around here? Comcast Internet going down for 12 hours makes the local news. Mediacom being down for 12 hours is just another Monday.
                    Ouch. Maybe you should propose Comcast buy them out. At least that way you'd only deal with maybe a day's worth of downtime instead of a whole week's worth. xD
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

More background on how we got into this predicament:

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-an...-ipv4-doomsday

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas
                        Ouch. Maybe you should propose Comcast buy them out. At least that way you'd only deal with maybe a day's worth of downtime instead of a whole week's worth. xD
                        Well, Minnesota. More or less, unless you're within 20 miles of Minneapolis or Saint Paul, there is no such thing as competition. Sure, you might have some random municipality buying air time off of Qwest or somebody else, but it's all mostly just monopolized, horrible service. Well, there's always satellite providers as "competition" but anyone that actually knows what they're doing would laugh at those options being proposed.

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                        Remember that when IPv4 was designed, a typical minicomputer had less memory than the toys given away today with breakfast cereal.
                        Even though that is true, this is still a case of bad foresight. When it's been known that the world population has been expanding by a billion roughly every 12-14 years since 1960, it reeks of someone not thinking far enough ahead.

From the article: "In closing, he told his audience of geeks: 'I leave the problem with you. You need to prevent a multi-billion dollar industry from falling flat on its arse.'"

Yeah, because they have spent so much of their time and money on infrastructure for the last 30 years. *roll eyes hard enough that the friction sets them alight*

Comment

Monopoly ISPs arose for the same reason that VHS beat Beta: Because cheap trumps good for most people. There were lots of little ISPs that provided decent service at premium rates, and a few large ISPs that provided adequate service at bargain rates. Then everyone started offering "unlimited" bandwidth when it really wasn't, knowing that most customers were just looking at email from their grandkids and would never saturate the lines. Mom and Pop ISPs couldn't compete with that and sold out.

For me, "network neutrality" means outlawing municipal grants of monopoly, and encouraging the big players to go back to pricing per packet, to encourage building more infrastructure to support high-bandwidth (and hence big-spending) customers. The current pseudo-unlimited system just discourages investment in expansion. It's a classic case of an economic "commons".

Comment

The Internet even as late as the mid-80's was very anti-commercial. I'd never have guessed it would have expanded so fast, given that attitude. The combination of commercialization of the backbones and the explosion in the number of "toasters" (network-enabled appliances) made the rapid exhaustion of the address space inevitable. Without the collapse of the dotcom bubble, it would probably have happened a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              Monopoly ISPs arose for the same reason that VHS beat Beta: Because cheap trumps good for most people. There were lots of little ISPs that provided decent service at premium rates, and a few large ISPs that provided adequate service at bargain rates. Then everyone started offering "unlimited" bandwidth when it really wasn't, knowing that most customers were just looking at email from their grandkids and would never saturate the lines. Mom and Pop ISPs couldn't compete with that and sold out.

For me, "network neutrality" means outlawing municipal grants of monopoly, and encouraging the big players to go back to pricing per packet, to encourage building more infrastructure to support high-bandwidth (and hence big-spending) customers. The current pseudo-unlimited system just discourages investment in expansion. It's a classic case of an economic "commons".
                              But that would likely mean I'd be paying out the butt for the same crappy line we've been paying for the past 10 years. I'm assuming they'd charge more than 5 cents per megabyte. We use anywhere from 20 GBs to 80 GBs a month, that comes out to $10 to $40 a month @ 5 cents a megabyte <-- we're paying a flat rate of $30 (3 mbps down and 512 kbps up) in addition to our phone line.

I might agree to metered charges for internet if I trusted that AT&T would be honest and accurate in their read of my usage per month AND if there was available competition. In the few blocks radius around me, AT&T has a complete monopoly. I can't even go with someone else even if I wanted to.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X