Beware of Driver Sweeper on Windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Driver Sweeper on Windows 7

I know we have talked about Driver Sweeper a bunch here in the TG forum so I thought I would pass this news on:

Beware of Driver Sweeper on Windows 7

It is worth a read if you are on Win7 and have used driver sweeper in the past. It might cause problems when you try to install Service Pack 1, but he has fixed the problem and there is help if it has already messed you up.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Beware of Driver Sweeper on Windows 7

I stopped using anything even close to that tool for the last several years because they've done the exact same things in the past.

Besides, you can clean drivers yourself.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yes on that topic Acreo is there any need to use these programs. I am on my second rig and 4th Gfx card and I always use the latest drivers. I have never had a problem, uninstalling drivers myself, never used a driver removal program. I have used the AMD installer program which is supposed to do it for you, never had any longstanding problems I could put down to driver conflicts or stuff hanging about. I use CCleaners registry tool on default settings as it isn't too invasive for clean ups. No known issues thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
        Yes on that topic Acreo is there any need to use these programs. I am on my second rig and 4th Gfx card and I always use the latest drivers. I have never had a problem, uninstalling drivers myself, never used a driver removal program. I have used the AMD installer program which is supposed to do it for you, never had any longstanding problems I could put down to driver conflicts or stuff hanging about. I use CCleaners registry tool on default settings as it isn't too invasive for clean ups. No known issues thus far.
        There really isn't much of a need anymore. Both companies' own tools now do a stand up job at removing old drivers remains and such. I think CCCleaner has a built-in area that lets you remove any old driver entrails in your registry settings. I've used that once. Don't think there was anything for them to clean up since I checked my registry right after uninstalling my nV drivers and didn't notice any remains.

Like you I've never had any problems and I've gone from nVidia to AMD/ATI. Uninstalled nV drivers, installed AMD drivers. Done.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for bring up this topic. I was unable to install the service pack 1, but the creator of driver sweeper has a fix to revert some missing files so you are able to install the pack.

Comment

Driver Sweeper is a pretty reputable program majorly touted on enthusiast sites and places like Guru3D and the EVGA forums (infact, it's one of the steps that the support techs will tell you do to clean-install drivers). While nvidia has been pretty good at removing their drivers and registry entries the past year or so, I've had to rely constantly on Driver sweeper to remove my Soundblaster XFI drivers, because Creative's drivers still implode regularly and Creative has never been anywhere near competant writing a sound driver.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
              Driver Sweeper is a pretty reputable program majorly touted on enthusiast sites and places like Guru3D and the EVGA forums (infact, it's one of the steps that the support techs will tell you do to clean-install drivers). While nvidia has been pretty good at removing their drivers and registry entries the past year or so, I've had to rely constantly on Driver sweeper to remove my Soundblaster XFI drivers, because Creative's drivers still implode regularly and Creative has never been anywhere near competant writing a sound driver.
              That's a good point, Creative's driver uninstalls still leave a small mess behind.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I actually have had to use Driver sweeper in the past. Especially with Nvidia beta drivers. For instance when Crysis first came out they were releasing beta drivers fast and furious trying to fix problems, and the beta drivers didn't uninstall properly. There were help threads all over the Crysis sites because people would uninstall and beta and try installing a new beta, and it would still have problems. Run Driver Sweeper, install new beta, no more problem.

If you stick to official full releases then most people won't have a problem. But in the Crysis case that might have meant waiting weeks to a month to get to play the game.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  That's a good point, Creative's driver uninstalls still leave a small mess behind.
                  "Small" as defined by Microsoft telling them to go to hell and making their own drivers when Creative was being a bunch of whiny babies back when Vista first came out? That debacle still makes me laugh today, because it's like, "Oh yeah, Creative taking a stand about how the platform yields 'bad' drivers--is that why their drivers have ALWAYS been crap?"

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                    "Small" as defined by Microsoft telling them to go to hell and making their own drivers when Creative was being a bunch of whiny babies back when Vista first came out? That debacle still makes me laugh today, because it's like, "Oh yeah, Creative taking a stand about how the platform yields 'bad' drivers--is that why their drivers have ALWAYS been crap?"
                    I wasn't going to make any mention of this, so I'm not responsible for any havoc that ensures. :p
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Bumping this due to problems I am having installing SP1 on W7 64. May have been caused by Driversweeper. Will perhaps attempt a fix, but now everything is backed up I might just reinstall anyway.

On that not, just control panel>add/remove program is enough in the future you reckon when nerfing drivers?

Comment

Yup, control as you stated, then CC registry cleaner, then install. Works for me everytime.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X