Building a workstation PC for a family member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a workstation PC for a family member

So my dad finally decided to build a new computer for daily use. But I am running into dilemmas into what parts should go in there, as I want this not to go over $600 total but at the same time, my dad wants a fairly beefy computer:

1) He does a lot of browsing video watching and video encoding/cutting/slicing n' dicing. So I can't decide whether to go Intel or AMD for the processor.
    2) He complains of slow boot up times and slow response times from his HD. I am thinking of getting him an SSD for the windows installation and a 2 TB hard drive for all the other stuff.
    3) Another one of his requirements is a case that will have good airflow since his office is rather small and gets warm very fast.

Any advice from those who built PCs for non-gaming purposes before?

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Building a workstation PC for a family member

Here's a component list I threw together with prices off of Newegg

$185 Intel Core i5 2300 2.8GHz
    $135 Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H
    $50 Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
    Integrated GPU + Audio
    $90 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    $95 Antec 300 Case + BP430W PSU
    $20 DVD-RW

$575 Price before OS

Assuming you go with Windows 7, it would bump the price up to around $700. I don't think an SSD/2TB drive combination is going to be feasible with a $600 budget unless you make major compromises with the other components. Let's say you got a 60GB SSD (~$120), since it's such a small capacity, your dad might be forced to install some frequently used programs onto the 2TB 5400rpm hard drive.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

He plans to stay with Win XP for now. Also what is your opinion on the Core I3's?

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
        He plans to stay with Win XP for now. Also what is your opinion on the Core I3's?
        They're not worth it. For the price of an i3, you could get a great quad-core from AMD.

Seeing how this looks like a personal workstation instead of a business workstation, I'm going to suggest AMD simply for lowered costs and still 90% processing power. However, at $600, it's not feasible for a SSD since any that would offer him the blazing speeds he wants in his tasks are gonna cost around $150+.

There's no point in sticking with XP. And if he has a few of those rare apps that needs XP in order to work, he can run a copy of XP in VM under Windows 7. If he needs help setting that up, I could walk him through it step-by-step. :)

Here's a great AMD build for his personal workstation. Quad-core, plenty of RAM, Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, and a dedicated graphics card. On top of all that, it has plenty of airlow and breathing room along with a aftermarket CPU cooler for those hot summer months so that his CPU doesn't overheat.

There's also a $20 MIR for the graphics card. Final price is around $615 after shipping.

|TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

He plans to stay with Win XP for now
          That's another reason why you wouldn't want to go SSD for now. No TRIM command in XP
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I would have to agree with the don't get an SSD opinion. Slow boot times are more likely caused by something else. But I would go with sandy bridge, integrated GPU that will handle even light gaming and the best media encoding/decoding hardware around all priced well for what you get. I'd go with what voodoo did or something very close to it.
            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

He plans to stay with Win XP for now.

Why? We're past the tipping point where it was arguably necessary. I'm going to come and say it right out: It's a boneheaded decision to make at this point. It has been for more than a year already.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post

Why? We're past the tipping point where it was arguably necessary. I'm going to come and say it right out: It's a boneheaded decision to make at this point. It has been for more than a year already.
                I agree with you. But he prefers it better for some reason. I already argued with him on this matter for the better part of 2010. I always figured I got my stubbornness from him :p

Comment

I agree with everybody here that keeping XP is a bad decision. Putting a 10 year old OS on new hardware is not worth it. Support for XP will run out eventually, the 64 bit version is a driver nightmare and going 32 bit would waste even more of the new hardware.

How about arguing security: Win7 is more secure, he'll catch fewer drive-by malware and other crapware therefore his system bootup time will stay fast - even without SSD (oversimplification to make a point).
                  former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Honestly, you really should press the issue. It's an insidious waste of time, money, and energy, and as time goes on, the investment required is simply going to increase.

Comment

What did everyone forget the purty interface? Seriously, don't let your dad waste a good 800+ MBs of RAM by sticking with XP!
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X