Buying an SSD - need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an SSD - need advice

Right now my current main hard drive for OS, programs and games is 2 x Western Digital Vraptors in a RAID 0 config. I've been very pleased with this setup as I've had plenty of capacity for software (~ 600GB) and it's also very snappy compared to a single drive. The problem is, I have a feeling one of the drives is starting to die. When I boot my computer, sometimes it will get stuck trying to auto-detect the SATA port 2 drive (the second Vraptor in my RAID 0) and I can hear the drive trying to spin up or seek but it doesn't get anywhere. I have to reboot 5 or 6 times until it finally detects and carries on.

Originally I was planning on replacing my OS drive setup with one of the next gen SSD's that were announced during CES, but last I heard those were coming out mid-2011 and I don't know if I can wait that long. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get a current gen SSD like a Crucial RealSSD C300 or an OCZ Vertex 2 or if I should wait until newer drives come out. One of Bamboo's posts seemed to indicate that newer Intel SSD's were coming out in February. Looking for advice on what I should get, whether I should wait or not and how long I might have to wait for newer/better SSD's.

Oh yea, I'm looking for an SSD with a capacity of 200GB - 256GB.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Re: Buying an SSD - need advice

The problem with SSD at the moment is they still aren't stable, at least not from what I've seen and read. Some of them require far to much power at idle versus actual run-time. Though corsair did just release a 256 gig drive a little while ago, http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Perfor.../dp/B0026V5MY0. Crucial has one out as well, but be aware these drives are new and expensive as hell still. Running around 600 to 700 bucks.

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Comment

Corsair's new drives just started appearing for sale, but they are really expensive. I would wait until February when Intel's and OCZ's and Crucial's drives come out. No one really knows exactly when they are coming out but I do want to get a bigger capacity drive also.

Comment

If you have a SATA 3.0 (the 6gb/s one) port on your Mobo I would look at a Crucial C300. By far one of the faster current gen drives around. Obviously waiting if you can waiting would benefit you for newer tech, maybe you can simply remove the broken drive and just use one for right now till the new stuff gets out.
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I got a corsair f60 using the sandforce 1200 chipset and I love it. IT is 60 gig - and with everything installed - I still have 22 gigs free on my main drive. All my other drives are used for cache files, data, temp, storage... blah, blah, blah... fast, fairly cheap, and for the past 4 months - solid as a rock.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

At 200GB+, you're going to be looking at spending at least $400. Given how expensive that is, you might as well replace your failing HDD or setup a pair of 1 TB WD Blacks in RAID 0 for roughly $150.

Like Damion, I'd recommend waiting for SSD prices to drop more. They're still over $1.80 per GB for most higher density drives.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I kind of had my heart set on getting either a C300 256GB or OCZ Vertex 2 240GB before I heard the news of next gen SSD's. I know what the cost is, $440 - $490, but I had already come to grips with how much a large capacity SSD would cost me. While I am ok with spending that much on an SSD, the dilemma is that I don't want to sink that money into an SSD now only to find out I could have spent roughly the same for a newer, faster, better product a month later. Right now it appears my OS raid 0 has stabilized somewhat as I haven't seen the issue for the past few days. I've decided to just backup a few critical files and just run these drives into the ground while waiting for the next gen SSD's to pop up. Thank you everybody for your suggestions!

Comment

That's the thing, until SSDs drop to something much more reasonable, literally few months a new one is gonna come out that's gonna be faster and better. You'll never keep up and never feel like you bought a great one, because in less than a year, your SSD is gonna be middle-of-the-road already.

That reason and the price is why I still haven't even considered getting a SSD for my next rig (or any other rig in the house).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

it's just like video cards... at some point you either take the plunge and enjoy the speed benefit... and upgrade later, or you keep sitting on the fence, and before you know it, 2 years are gone. forget about size right now. get a smaller, fast, reliable drive for about 150 and enjoy the performance now... and buy something better later. use the WD drive for data and less hungry programs. put the OS and your favorite games on the SSD.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I have a 128 gig Crucial SSD, I love it for the following reasons, I can barely hear my system, it's hard to tell if it's even on. Cold start times are between 15-20 seconds and rebooting is even faster. I load games very quick. Just to give you an idea how fast it boots up, I have to wait for my keyboard to turn on so I'm usually sitting at the login screen while my keyboard is powering up so it appears that now my keyboard is the bottleneck on my system.

I'm not sure about power requirements but I've stuck my hand in there and it's not hot, I bought an Icy Dock converter case to put mine in so it would fit nicely in the bay. I replaced my mobo, cpu, ram, and added the SSD and according to my APC I'm using 157 watts whereas I'm almost certain I was using 170+ watts before so I don't think the SSD consumes more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Battledragun View Post
                      so I don't think the SSD consumes more power.
                      SSD's consume less power than mechanical hard drives, that's a fact, but the power savings are small.

Comment

Hey voodoo, have you heard anything about new SSD's coming out? If so do you have a link, I wouldn't mind checking it out, thanks in advance.

Comment

Dragun, you should check out the thread about SSD in the news in the hardware forums:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ives-news.html

Towards the end of the thread there are some posts about the new, upcoming SSD's

Comment

I just bought the OCZ Vertex2 80 GB SSD/w the Sandforce controller for $145.00 at Newegg, It's my boot drive with my os and Arma Combined Operations, I have Patriot torqx 64 GB SSd for my apps and a couple of other games and a 300GB HDD for everything else. Arma runs smooth as silk with my old Q6600 CPU and HD5770 GPU, couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              That's the thing, until SSDs drop to something much more reasonable, literally few months a new one is gonna come out that's gonna be faster and better. You'll never keep up and never feel like you bought a great one, because in less than a year, your SSD is gonna be middle-of-the-road already.

That reason and the price is why I still haven't even considered getting a SSD for my next rig (or any other rig in the house).
                              for me is the same reason. the amount of memory you get in a SSD does not justify the price for one.
                              but yes they are really fast and really great drives. if i was rich ill get a few. but right now ill wait till the price goes down.
                              AKA: FoxDelta

My PC.
                              Case: NZXT M59,
                              ASUS Mother Board M4A77D,
                              AMD Phemon II x4 3.2GHz ,
                              GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                              DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                              PSU: Crosair 650w
                              Res 1920x1080

Comment

Connect

Collapse