X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaw in Sandy-Bridge 6-series chipsets are forcing Intel to halt shipments

Article from Techreport:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20326

Looks like everybody should hold off on building any PC's with a P67 or H67-based motherboard until Intel sorts out this problem!
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Re: Flaw in Sandy-Bridge 6-series chipsets are forcing Intel to halt shipments

Well good thing they caught it so soon, rather than a few more months down the line.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yea, they've had to pull them off the shelves and halt sales until the problem is fixed, which may be a month from now... Intel Announces Error in 6 Series 1155 Sandy Bridge Chipset

The discovered flaw can affect SATA ports on the new Sandy Bridge motherboards leading to degradation in performance and functionality of hard drives, CD/DVD ROMs and other SATA connected devices.
      I know a few modders that have built fully watercooled systems with Tri-SLI cards and full board water blocks that have OC'd the 2600K CPU to over 5GHz, and now have to tear down their system to RMA their motherboards. The chip itself is very good, just a poor design on the motherboard SATA Controller section. The CPU, RAM and PCI-e sections are not effected.

The fix:

Intel has already announced a silicon fix for the problem, estimating a cost of nearly $700 million to repair or replace all affected systems.

Intel has been implementing this fix on all the new boards they produce. The new motherboards are expected to ship by late February with full volume anticipated by April. These boards will still need to pass down through distribution channels so customers will likely be able to get replacement boards by sometime in March.
      That's 2-3 months Intel will lose on Sandybridge sales as well as all the motherboard partners that offer the 1155 socket boards. They will most likely push sales of i5, i7 (1156) P55 and X58 hardware to fill their sales quotas - which should mean good prices for consumers. If I was an AMD exec I'd take advantage of this error and really market the X6 AM3/850 combo as their motherboards have no problems with SATA ports. Either way, keep an eye on prices if you're looking to upgrade, build or buy pre-built systems.

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

I was wondering why one of my drives would suddenly disappear and now I know. I just moved it to the SATA III port and should be ok for now while I wait for a fix. Newegg emailed me yesterday and notified me that as soon as a replacement is in I'll be able to RMA my ASUS P8P67.

Comment

Here's some good news:
          Intel to start shipping remedied Cougar Point chipsets on February 14th

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X