Recovering data from a fast format

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering data from a fast format

Let it be said that despite being mildly technical, I am completely incompetent. So while I was basking in the glory of having set up an internal HDD to mostly work in an external case (3tb drive only shows up as one 750ish drive), I succeeded in fast formatting the HDD that I was planning on backing up...
    This is not a boot drive, and I can see no reason why any data would have been, or would be written to it without my explicitly messing something else up, so in theory all the information would still be there. What I really need help with is a program that will recover that data, hopefully with the filesystem still intact. I have searched on google, and tried downloading a few, but some of them don't appear to work, and some are either really complicated, or look like scams/viruses. Do any of you have experience with them?

FWIW the machine is a windows laptop, running win7 64. The drive is a 1tb and I imagine there is around 500gb that I am hoping to recover.
    Last edited by Adiventure; 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM.

Re: Recovering data from a fast format

I really only use two tools for incidents like this:

Recuva - for general file recovery

PhotoRec - for photos I've accidently erased on SD cards (only command line)

I hope that helps.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I haven't tried PhotoRec, though I gave Test Disk by the same people a shot. For some reason though test disk was not finding the partition that was formatted over. That may well be user error though because whenever I see black screens with white letters and typed commands I freak out a little. I'm giving Recuva a try now, the quick scan didn't turn anything up, but the full scan has yet complete.

Comment

Alright, so the full scan has completed showing (I think) all the files. Can they be recovered with a filesystem intact, or is that just not going to happen?
        Figured it out, tricky them hiding it in the options menu. 7% done, ten hours to go. Thanks much. :D
        Last edited by Adiventure; 02-06-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Glad that you got this sorted out Addi....I know what its like to lose files!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
            Alright, so the full scan has completed showing (I think) all the files. Can they be recovered with a filesystem intact, or is that just not going to happen?
            Figured it out, tricky them hiding it in the options menu. 7% done, ten hours to go. Thanks much. :D
            I don't remember the exact process off hand, but if you haven't been asked where to save the files yet, you will after it's done (absolute or relative paths will work; you might also be able to save in the current working directory). As to whether or not it preserves the file directories, I don't know. I haven't use it on complete dir structures yet.

Although, as efficient as PhotoRec might be, Recuva would be a far better choice if you're not comfortable with a CLI (command line interface) since it is a GUI (graphical user interface).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              I don't remember the exact process off hand, but if you haven't been asked where to save the files yet, you will after it's done (absolute or relative paths will work; you might also be able to save in the current working directory). As to whether or not it preserves the file directories, I don't know. I haven't use it on complete dir structures yet.

Although, as efficient as PhotoRec might be, Recuva would be a far better choice if you're not comfortable with a CLI (command line interface) since it is a GUI (graphical user interface).
              I really need to get more comfortable with CLIs, I figure it's probably my most glaring dearth of knowledge in common PC tasks, my excuse being that I'm too young to have needed it ever (my first PC was windows 95 methinks).

I think I've got it all going again now, I had a problem last night as shortly after posting my nVidia driver decided to break on me again, culminating in a crash. So I had to re-search and recover the files I swear this recent iteration of drivers is giving me more trouble than any I've had before, this being the second time I have had serious display driver trouble seemingly out of the blue. I haven't bothered looking at the crash logs yet, but I expect it just be a generic driver error with the suggestion of updating.

Thanks for recommending that program, I'm kinda peeved I didn't find it on searching, I would think something by Piriform would be more universal; it seems like everyone uses CCleaner.

Comment

You don't even have to search for it and I gave you links to both of them in my first response.

(It seems Recuva is no lonoger free. I should probably find another program to replace it as I have a old beta back when it was free.)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                  You don't even have to search for it and I gave you links to both of them in my first response.

(It seems Recuva is no lonoger free. I should probably find another program to replace it as I have a old beta back when it was free.)
                  I know, I mean I thought I would have been able to find it when I was searching before I made the thread. I found all manner of cheap, badly made recovery programs, and a number that wanted me to pay huge sums, but not Recova. Retrospectively I am rather surprised it didn't turn up, given that it's free (though slightly confusing, it can look like you have to buy it but if you go further down the page it is really more like a suggested donation), and made by a relatively well known company.

Comment

I have a copy of easyrecovery6 that I have used since xp. it is extremely tricky to get running since vista, but if it runs, it is the best I have ever come across. there is also fru 2.0. I have used it with success when easyrecovery failed to start.

Just throwing those out there for prosperity sake.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X