Thoughts on the Sapphire HD 6870...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Sapphire HD 6870...

I am looking to replace my XFX 4870 Crossfired cards with this card. I look to be losing maybe 5 fps on BC2, but I want the room in my case so I can reinstall my Asus Xonar D2. (Look for my 4870's to be in the for sale area soon.) My budget is an issue as I want to stay under $200 and this card sits at $180 right now.

Does anyone have experience with the Sapphire brand or the 6870?

Thanks in advance for your replay and as always...

Go Gators!

Re: Thoughts on the Sapphire HD 6870...

I have had 2 Sappphire cards in a row, very pleased with them. Don't know about the 6870, have a 5870 at the moment, how much will the 5870 cost you and how much of a gain is the 6870 in real terms. Plus, down the line if you got a bigger case I hear the 5870's in crossfire are awesome.

Comment

You're going to gain anywhere from 8 to 20 fps with the HD6870 over the HD5870 depending on the game and how high of a resolution you game at usually. Typically you won't see much more than 8-12 fps gains.

As for Sapphire, almost all their cards are rock solid. Good aftermarket coolers and I've never had the 3 I've owned fail on me. In fact, my current HD5830 is a Sapphire.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You sure you want to pay that much to downgrade your performance?
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
          You're going to gain anywhere from 8 to 20 fps with the HD6870 over the HD5870 depending on the game and how high of a resolution you game at usually. Typically you won't see much more than 8-12 fps gains.
          Don't you mean a loss instead of a gain? Or were you assuming that since 6870 is a higher model number than 5870 that it must provide some performance gain in terms of fps? Every comparison between these two cards I could find on tech review sites show the 5870 performs slightly better than the 6870 in terms of fps.

The 6870 is surely the better performance/cost option, however.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            Don't you mean a loss instead of a gain? Or were you assuming that since 6870 is a higher model number than 5870 that it must provide some performance gain in terms of fps? Every comparison between these two cards I could find on tech review sites show the 5870 performs slightly better than the 6870 in terms of fps.

The 6870 is surely the better performance/cost option, however.
            Ah dangit, sorry guys. Yeah, it's a downgrade performance. I was thinking of the HD6950.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'm really happy with my Sapphire 5770 for what it's worth.
              sigpic

Comment

Now if you were to CF HD6870, that's a whole other story. If you don't mind the slight loss in framerates, then go ahead and get the HD6870. You'd save a bit on your power bill as well.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

so $200 for this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161349
                  is a better "value" than paying an extra $80 to get this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102888?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                    so $200 for this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161349
                    is a better "value" than paying an extra $80 to get this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102888?
                    Well you guys missed out. I posted this crap days ago (just a few threads below this one), and surprisingly not one response. Picked up that sweet Sapphire 5870 (linked above) for only $179 after MIR ($200 before), and free shipping. Now it's back to it's regular price. Just got it today. :D

I'm currently running 3 monitors in eyefinity on my xfx 5830, and it used to max all my games out beautifully in 1680 x 1050 on my old monitor, but with the rez at 5760 x 1080 (yup! that's right!), it definitely strains to keep a healthy framerate. Still totally playable, but not as impressive. Hopefully this 5870 should help. In fact, I'm thinking about mounting my old monitor as a 4th, over the center, so I can have movies or shows going whilst doing other crap. I've been SOOOOOOO spoiled by eyefinity. It freaking rocks.

My thoughts on the 6870? Not worth it with the deal I got, but at normal prices, it seems to be a better buy, even with the performance hit. Honestly, though, your 2 4870's crossfired have got to be pretty dang good. The only reason I'd upgrade would be to get eyefinity support, and audio through hdmi. other than that, I don't think you'll be that impressed with performance if you upgraded.
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

What I see now after a few days of reading, is that for $289 you can get a 2GB 6950 that pretty much will do "anything" there is and more, so I am telling the guy who wants me to build him a "super system" that overall, I cannot see a way to find a better "value" for performance than this card.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150518

He can even lose his mind and get 2 of them and REALLY run up his electric bill! hahaha

Even though this is $80 over your target of $200, it seems like it would be more than worth it to "future proof" your system..

but just my $.02 worth..

Comment

What I see now after a few days of reading, is that for $289 you can get a 2GB 6950 that pretty much will do "anything" there is and more, so I am telling the guy who wants me to build him a "super system" that overall, I cannot see a way to find a better "value" for performance than this card.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150518

He can even lose his mind and get 2 of them and REALLY run up his electric bill! hahaha

Even though this is $80 over your target of $200, it seems like it would be more than worth it to "future proof" your system..

but just my $.02 worth..
                        And you can flash the bios on the 6950 very easily to basically make it a 6970.....Like I did :)
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I was reading about that..+%20 in electric use and more heat, but whammo! a 6970 2-gig bad ass!

Comment

Just bought Sapphire HD6870 Toxic yestarday.
                            I would apreciate if anyone here knows any known issues and/or sollutions.
                            i am running win 7 64bit service pack 1 and the latest catalyst. after 4 hours idle i just happend to have my very first bsod(i was just browsing) After i rebooted the was no dvd rom. after that i played moh and Arma OA like 2 hours with no problems at all.

thanks in advance

am a bit curious about catalyst drivers....
                            Beauty is only pixels deep, while bad gameplay/design goes straight to the source code.
                            -Harlequin-

Comment

I was reading about that..+%20 in electric use and more heat, but whammo! a 6970 2-gig bad ass!
                              more heat? after a 4 hour marathon on BC2 I am lucky if it crack 43C, idle is 30C
                              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X