No announcement yet.

cant get my CPU temps to go down lower.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant get my CPU temps to go down lower.

first off hi to everyone in TG hardware and software. my first time posting in this part of the forums because i never really logged on to TG's web site till this month, and im mostly on Gamespots hardware forums but i got band from GS for 30 days xD.

what i want to ask is that. i have a Phemon II x4 955 BE stock speeds with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler. but my temps on my CPU are always 39*C-42*C. and i looked in neweggs website for the reviews for the same cooler and i see people with the same CPU getting temps from 28*C-31*C.

i try every single thing possible. i used the thermal paste that came with the cooler. i got 3 other thermal paste. one from Antec: Formula 5, one from Dynex which is a white type paste, and last i got my hands on Arctic Silver 5. still with all 4 the temps are 39*C-42*C.

before i had a Athlon II x4 2.8GHz the temps when i OCed it was 39*C-*43*C. but when i got the hyper 212+ the temps dropped to 25*C-28*C so i know the cooler is working.

but i try everything i can even the different style of applying the paste, from spread with a credit card to letting the cooler spread it.
    can it be that this cooler is not up for the job of cooling down my CPU?. someone did told me in teh GS forums to shave off the cooler and CPU. i have not tried that because i dont feel like messing up my CPU by dropping it or something, and i do not know what type of sand paper to get if any.

thanks guys.
    AKA: FoxDelta

My PC.
    Case: NZXT M59,
    ASUS Mother Board M4A77D,
    AMD Phemon II x4 3.2GHz ,
    GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
    DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
    PSU: Crosair 650w
    Res 1920x1080

Re: cant get my CPU temps to go down lower.

You don't have to do anything silly like that. CPU temps are pretty variable, depends on the monitoring software, the CPU itself, differences in ambient temperatures. Over all I would say to not worry about it. Your CPU is in no danger of overheating.

PS, please be more patient, everyone tries to help but a response in 33 minutes is a bit hard to expect.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

ok man ;)

but if i do over clock my CPU, there might be a chance the temps will go up maybe 45*C-50*C if that does happen, is that still safe temps for the CPU? for my thats getting a little to hot

My PC.
      GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
      DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
      Res 1920x1080

Comment

I'd suggest googling the recommended temp and max temp, I don't know it off the top of my head.

I'd also look around with overclocking. Just a few results from google

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22...ion-processor/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2_955/

Maybe someone with some more AMD experience can chime in later, most people are still at work.
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

The main reason you're seeing lower temps with other people posting may be due to the fact that their ambient temps (room temperature) is lower than yours. That's one of the biggest contributors to core temperatures.

As for 39-42 C, that's pretty normal for the Hyper 212 cooler for a quad-core. That's the majority temperature I see around the net. In fact, it's pretty common idle temp for most dual and quad-cores under that cooler.

For example:

My C2D E8400 under my Hyper 212 runs at around 38-42 C idle. Ambient temp right now is around 23 C. That's about 20 C over ambient, which is normal for idle temps on air coolers.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am running an i7 930 Core, OCed to 4Ghz, and it sits at around 50C during regular use.

Temp spikes up to 60 to 70 during game play, hot but not over the top. Running my core this hot when gaming so much may shorten the life of the chip a bit, but I plan to upgrade the core every year or two anyway.

Check the web for the averages on your chip. You are probably ok.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
              I am running an i7 930 Core, OCed to 4Ghz, and it sits at around 50C during regular use.

Temp spikes up to 60 to 70 during game play, hot but not over the top. Running my core this hot when gaming so much may shorten the life of the chip a bit, but I plan to upgrade the core every year or two anyway.

Check the web for the averages on your chip. You are probably ok.
              According to Intel's Ark, you'd want to keep it under 67.9 C. As long as you do that, you don't have to worry about a shortened chip lifespan.

Since you're OCing so high, I'd probably invest in a water cooler, like one of the Corsair Hydro series coolers.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Everyone above posted the answer perfectly, but also consider your PC case. You didn't mention what case you are using or what fans and how many. Going with some better fans might bring the temps down a bit. But really, as guys above said, there really isn't much point. Your temps are actually pretty good, and probably better than with the stock AMD cooler. With something around 40C at idle, you shouldn't even care. It is the max load temps you should be checking. And you need to run some benchmarking programs like Prime95 or even Futuremark or something and watch your temps while that is running.

One thing to consider is how you are getting your temps. Are you using CoreTemp, or checking in the BIOS if your motherboard offers that. Different temp monitoring programs can give different readings.

As far as going the extreme route of tweaking your CPU and Cooler, the technique is called Heatsink Lapping, and it does work. But you are talking about gaining only a couple to a few degrees. And the process is extremely labor intensive if you want to do it properly and not run the risk of damaging your gear. I think I have posted some stuff about it here before, or I have a bunch bookmarked, but really, unless you are going some hardcore overclocking to the max, its just not worth it.
                For instance, see this link: The CPU & Heatsink Lapping Guide

That is actually done using the cooler I have, and check out the results:

Just not worth it for the hours of work put in.
                Would be better to upgrade to a nicer PC case or something liquid cooled.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Everyone above posted the answer perfectly, but also consider your PC case. You didn't mention what case you are using or what fans and how many. Going with some better fans might bring the temps down a bit. But really, as guys above said, there really isn't much point. Your temps are actually pretty good, and probably better than with the stock AMD cooler. With something around 40C at idle, you shouldn't even care. It is the max load temps you should be checking. And you need to run some benchmarking programs like Prime95 or even Futuremark or something and watch your temps while that is running.

One thing to consider is how you are getting your temps. Are you using CoreTemp, or checking in the BIOS if your motherboard offers that. Different temp monitoring programs can give different readings.

As far as going the extreme route of tweaking your CPU and Cooler, the technique is called Heatsink Lapping, and it does work. But you are talking about gaining only a couple to a few degrees. And the process is extremely labor intensive if you want to do it properly and not run the risk of damaging your gear. I think I have posted some stuff about it here before, or I have a bunch bookmarked, but really, unless you are going some hardcore overclocking to the max, its just not worth it.
                  For instance, see this link: The CPU & Heatsink Lapping Guide

That is actually done using the cooler I have, and check out the results:

Just not worth it for the hours of work put in.
                  Would be better to upgrade to a nicer PC case or something liquid cooled.
                  I have the NZXT M59 case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=nzxt%20m59
                  when you click on the link. you can see it has a side fan on the window which brings in air and the back of the case take out the air also i added 2 more fans. one in the front bring in air for the HDD and one on the top of the case taking out air and the fan for my Hyper 212+ is taking air and shooting it out towards the top of the case. ill post my PC specs on my sig

My PC.
                  GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                  DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                  Res 1920x1080

Comment

You're not going to see cooler temps unless you put on the AC in the room, switch over to water cooling, or invest in a bulkier air cooler (ex: Cooler Master V8) which your case probably won't be able to contain.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The fact that you've tried re-seating your heatsink, tried different types of thermal paste and different methods of applying it while achieving the same temps regardless tells me that you're not doing anything wrong - those are just the temps you're going to get. Comparing your temps to what other people get with the same CPU + cooler is ok, but there are so many factors that can cause variations in what you get. Like others have said, Ambient temperature is the biggest thing, but there are other factors as well:

case design
                      case size
                      number of case fans
                      airflow moved by case fans
                      basically anything else that puts out heat in your computer
                      and finally, not every CPU is made equal. every processor runs slightly differently even among the same model.

That being said, 39C-42C are good temps at idle. I would say you even have headroom to try some overclocking if you want.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

thanks guys just wanted to make sure if the temps are where they should be. :)

My PC.
                        GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                        DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                        Res 1920x1080

Comment

Connect

Collapse