Cleaning A Keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning A Keyboard

So to keep it brief I managed to spill a Coke and Rum on approximately 1/3 of my laptop keyboard. Anybody got some suggestions on how I could possibly fix this? My friend recommended this 70% ISO + Water solution that helped a little but its still not functioning to my standards.

Thanks in advance!
    XBL Gamertag: TG Fitted

Re: Cleaning A Keyboard

unplug, pop off all the keys, take the case apart, unplug as much unaffected hardware as possible, stick it in the dishwasher, run it under the hair dryer for 30 minutes, plug it in to a junk computer to test - just in case.

seriously though... if it is an expensive keyboard - follow steps up to the dishwasher part... instead, use a damp cloth (damp with rubbing alcohol) clean the affected part.
    if it is a cheaper keyboard, the dishwasher will actually dry the keyboard sufficiently to use it right away. just be ready for it to possibly never work again....

I did this with an old logitech keyboard that my son spilled milk in. I loved the keyboard, but it was not expensive. I stripped everything I could from it, ran it through the dishwasher by itself, and expected to throw it away. It worked perfectly, and I still use it today on a secondary computer... in fact I forgot I had to go that until I read your post.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

If your keys can come out do that. I spilled milk on mine last week when someone shot a HAT rocket at my fire base in PR, scared the crap outta me and my glass went for a flight. Took me like an hour to pop off every key and clean it. Good luck and have fun with that XD
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

It's a laptop keyboard, as described by the OP, so he can't put the thing in the dishwasher. If you're up for disassembling your laptop, you can remove the keyboard part and wash that. If it doesn't work, you may be able to order a replacement keyboard part. You'll might also want to disassemble to find out if there's any coke and rum that got under the keyboard.

I recall about 10 years ago, perhaps when phone support techs were more competent, being walked through the replacement of a Dell laptop keyboard by a Dell tech rep. I remember it being fairly simple on that model. I had spilled coke on it and the keyboard stopped working. Dell shipped me a replacement keyboard and let me replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
          unplug, pop off all the keys, take the case apart, unplug as much unaffected hardware as possible, stick it in the dishwasher, run it under the hair dryer for 30 minutes, plug it in to a junk computer to test - just in case.

seriously though... if it is an expensive keyboard - follow steps up to the dishwasher part... instead, use a damp cloth (damp with rubbing alcohol) clean the affected part.
          if it is a cheaper keyboard, the dishwasher will actually dry the keyboard sufficiently to use it right away. just be ready for it to possibly never work again....

I did this with an old logitech keyboard that my son spilled milk in. I loved the keyboard, but it was not expensive. I stripped everything I could from it, ran it through the dishwasher by itself, and expected to throw it away. It worked perfectly, and I still use it today on a secondary computer... in fact I forgot I had to go that until I read your post.
          I did this on my G15 v1, the screen no longer works and the lighting flickers.... Wasn't worth it.

EDIT: Oh, and I only washed the plastic parts and the keys. Something must have happened during disassembly/assembly. I was very careful though.

Comment

I'd probably take the entire keyboard out, pop every key, and carefully wipe down the spaces between the key areas with a semi-damp microfiber cloth. Then air dry for a day before I put everything back in place.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I missed the laptop part....

it is most likely hosed. the circuitry inside the aluminum casing is very easy to mess up, and even if you can clean it, you will most likely snap a trace somewhere.... best bet is to hop on ebay and find a replacement. they run like 20-25 bucks for most models. also, they are very easy to replace... just take your time and document the teardown.

if it's like most laptops, you need to just remove the bezel right above the keyboard (this may require some screw being removed from underneath first) there may be screws hold the keyboard in at the top edge as well... the keyboard will most likely have a plastic ribbon cable held into a pressure clip on the mobo. replace, rebuild.

chewy, sorry about the G15... but you are right, sounds like the teardown / rebuild is the problem... did you do a second teardown to see if you could find the issue? It almost sounds like a blown cap... but could be a loose ribbon wire.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well as it stands now I don't think I'm gonna put it into a dishwasher. As for replacing the whole keyboard I dont think that is gonna be necessary since the only keys that are still affected are my SHIFT, F1 and A key. So hopefully one more cleaning with ISOalcohol will fix this situation. I also purchased a LogitechG510 since my friend broke my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard (my laptop fell approximately an inch and the reciever snapped).
                XBL Gamertag: TG Fitted

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X