Freezing Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Issues

Ok this is the deal. I currently run a intel q9550, nvidia gtx275, 6 gigs ram, 1 250gig HDD, and a 485W power supply. Yes i know your thinking HOLY CRAP THATS NOT ENOUGH POWER. But oddly enough it is, i dunno why but it is. I had this set up on XP running fine for a little over 2 weeks then i decided to switch to windows 7 because most games now dont support XP for one reason or another.

So i put in win 7 last night and after getting my drivers all up to date (sound, graphics, devices, and bios) i installed PR:BF2 and started a round. After about 10 min into the game my computer completely froze up and making a weird buzzing noise (probably glitched audio from in the game) and then my screen went black and came up with a "no signal" message. I tried turning the monitor on and off but it couldnt get the signal back.

So i restarted the computer and it was all good after that. Until i got back in game and it froze in which i restarted it again. So after going into the win 7 computer manager thing and finding out there was the "kernal power 41" code thing MS suggest a few different issues. The most relevant to my set up is a lack of power.

Questions is though, if my computer ran perfectly fine on XP with this somewhat underpowered system why all of a sudden is it running like a sack of hammers? A driver issue could be the problem but id have no idea which driver or how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
    Gi
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: Freezing Issues

I wouldn't say your system ran "fine" under Windows XP with that PSU. More that you were skirting the line of failure and happened to fall on the convenient side for those two weeks. Windows 7 uses your computer's available resources more actively and unfortunately for your setup, that small addition to power consumption is leading to your system failing during heavy usage. Additionally, you're playing an DX9 or older game on a DX10 card. Windows 7 and Vista are outright not designed to run DX9 as efficiently (because DX10+ is where they are designed to run) as XP can manage.

Comment

You need a more powerful PSU. If you google search Power Supply calculator, type in your components, it will recommend a PSU over 500W.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
        I wouldn't say your system ran "fine" under Windows XP with that PSU. More that you were skirting the line of failure and happened to fall on the convenient side for those two weeks. Windows 7 uses your computer's available resources more actively and unfortunately for your setup, that small addition to power consumption is leading to your system failing during heavy usage. Additionally, you're playing an DX9 or older game on a DX10 card. Windows 7 and Vista are outright not designed to run DX9 as efficiently (because DX10+ is where they are designed to run) as XP can manage.
        I completely agree that it was definitely border line failing. But you pointed out during heavy usage, i forgot to mention that it does that even while just sitting on the desktop idling. Happened like 10 times over an hour while under no load what so ever. Itll probably be a while before i can afford a new PSU (bills and such) so im gonna have to figure something out to make it work while i wait.
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

I totally agree. Get a better PSU. If you can, get some PSU from friend and check if it makes a difference.

By the way... I just read 'Freezing Jesus' -.-
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
            You need a more powerful PSU. If you google search Power Supply calculator, type in your components, it will recommend a PSU over 500W.
            That's what you need gijoe. Your 485W PSU doesn't put out enough on the 12V rail(s) to support a Q9550 and a GTX275 at full load (aka gaming) and everything else. If you keep doing this, you could even blow a cap in your PSU and take parts with it.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              If you keep doing this, you could even blow a cap in your PSU and take parts with it.
              While I would agree it's definitely not a risk worth taking, I wouldn't especially worry about this if you're using a reputable PSU and motherboard (as in, I wouldn't predict you to have any damage from it so far...but I wouldn't push your luck).

Though, if you get the equipment manufactured via MacGuyver techniques [read: lower quality], their failsafes and quality control can be a little more dangerous to fall back on. Additionally, that advertised 485W of "available" supply might actually be closer to 360-400W.

But you pointed out during heavy usage, i forgot to mention that it does that even while just sitting on the desktop idling. Happened like 10 times over an hour while under no load what so ever.
              Well, again, Windows 7 uses more resources. Period. It's not necessarily wasting those resources (under normal circumstances, things like SuperFetch--which is the typical "high usage" culprit--are actually a more energy efficient method of using a computer) but they are being used, which increases the draw. If you have a smaller processor on hand, specifically dual rather than a quad core, that is compatible with your system, you may be able to eke out some temporary usage until you can get an adequate PSU.

However, regardless of what you do to the rest of the system, playing games on that video card with that power supply isn't an option.

Comment

Yeah i was thinking of popping in an older dual for the time being if you guys really believe that im in danger of blowing parts. Im trying to get a decent deal on an 800W PSU hopefully this week or next.
                sigpic

Comment

800W is probably overkill for what you need. If I were you I wouldn't worry so much about getting the highest wattage PSU I could afford as much as I would try and get the best quality PSU with sufficient wattage. Look for something around 600W to 700W from a reputable PSU manufacturer such as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X