Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i need a second..third...fourth and so one opinion :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need a second..third...fourth and so one opinion :)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...7fd30a9e72en02

What do you guys think? Deal or not?

Thanks!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Re: i need a second..third...fourth and so one opinion :)

You have come to the right place, my friend!
    I've been researching TVs for about 2 years now, and am buying in about a month when the new 2011 models hit.
    It's hard to help you decide on that TV without knowing exactly what you are wanting from the TV, and what you plan to do with it.

I will say the 5000 is the low man on the pole, but a search of the AVS forum is here: Search Results for C5000:

For instance, here is a good thread: Samsung C5000 series, anyd good?

Pretty much comes out to if you need a really cheap TV and you are going to be sitting really close, or maybe for a bedroom, it is decent. Doesn't have a lot of features like apps and streaming netflix (which I know you have in Canada now) and stuff.

You should read the reviews on the Amazon.com page, even if you can't order from them:
    Samsung UN40C5000 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED HDTV (Black)

Are you mind set on the LED sets? If not, I would really consider the normal LCD sets, which can be cheaper or better features for the same price. Like :
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4dbbfa1becen02

Bunch of guys just jumped into some BC2 hardcore, so I have to run. But fill us in with some more details on what you are looking for, and I'll check back. There are some other good TV guys on here as well, like troublesome4u, and should be along soon.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply man!

Basically this tv will be use a my principal computer monitor (for gaming ! :D ), with my current monitor as a secondary one. I dont really need many features. I dont know at what distance im going to be, but not really far for sure (maybe max 3 meters).

Is refresh rate really important? is it making a big difference? i dont really know a lot about TVs and monitors :) I want it to be pretty , clear and that it will last for a few years. LED of LCD it doesnt really matter for me :)

thanks for your help!
      sigpic

Comment

Ok, since you will be close, then that answers some things, but knowing it will be for your PC opens a bunch of other issues.
        The biggest may be that big LCDs can have input lag, and it can be pretty bad. Samsung actually has a mode on their TVs called GameMode, to help reduce input lag, but it usually comes at a cost to picture quality. Lots of talk on the AVS forum from pissed off gamers that say even in game mode, they still can't play FPS games. Some tvs are better than others though, and I have heard that LG and Sony can have lower input lag.

It is such a big deal that there is a 80+ page sticky in the forum about it:
        Input lag, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for refrence

Pretty interesting stuff.
        Be sure you read through the first few posts, and then maybe skip and skim some of the last few pages or search the thread for different models you are considering.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Im glad i posted here , i didnt even know what was input lag..... thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

Also Rat, go to the store and see for yourself the models you're interested in buying. TVs and stereo equiptment are the only components that I don't buy without seeing and hearing them first. All the stats and reviews by other people are good for a reference point and avoiding models that are prone to problems, but visual display is best viewed by your eyes. Some people prefer a really bright TV, yet your eyes may think the picture is too bright or not bright enough. Play with the settings. Are they easy to use? Do they adjust to where you like it? Are certain options noticeable or make a difference? I know when I go and look at TVs, even-though there may be 30 lined up on a wall, I can pick out which ones look the best to me and then I narrow those down and compere them more closely. Try to get them at the same settings as they may not have been adjusted when taken out of the box for display. This will give you a fair way to compare and also may show the benefits or weakness of a model. If one looks great right off the bat and another one gets a similar picture after multiple adjustments, then this can simplify your decision.

Not sure about your audio needs, by if you're going to be using the built in speakers then test them out as well. Most TVs today have there speakers mounted in the back panel and thus the sound shoots behind the TV rather than forward to the viewer. In that case the sound is generally poor, and will require either a sound bar or connection to a home theater. A few models have the speakers buit in at the bottom and facing forward so the sound waves are better heard. This obviously saves having to buy a sound bar, but check the quality and wattage of the speakers as the vary from set to set. The C5000 has 2x10W speakers, which seems good, but they're mounted facing the rear - which is horrible! My sister bought a 47" Samsung and I had to add external speakers as the buit in sound was very deficient... to say the least.

That being said, Bamboo's links have some good info (as always) and if you can wait a bit many 2011 model will be released soon. This will help you compare and may also lower the price of the current models even further. Definitely look for a higher refresh rate (120, 240 etc.). I like the newer LED technology as it allows for a thinner, lighter unit at a lower power draw. As I said earlier, picture preference can be subjective, and your eyes are the most important judge.

:icon_frow
            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help
              so im looking for a +/- 40 inch, led or lcl, for close viewing and low input lag for my computer. :D I have my own sound system
              sigpic

Comment

Here is a good article to check out:
                Save On a 2010 Or Get a New 2011 HDTV?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Can i ask you what you guys are using?
                  sigpic

Comment

Here is what I just bought on Feb 19th

Sony Bravia 40" LED 120Hz

Comment

are you playing FPS with it? Any major input lag?
                      sigpic

Comment

As long as the 120Hz option is turned off. It is just like my regular 20" LCD monitor with better colors and size.

Comment

After long hours of research on forums (thanks to our friends for the numerous links ;) )

it will go between the LG xxLD450 or Samsung LNxxC530 . Tomorrow i will go see them with my own eyes and decide. I still keep your Bravia in mind as well!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'd say wait for OLED TVs to hit the market first. Those will even be thinner and offer much better color and none of the viewing angle issues with current LCD technology.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              I'd say wait for OLED TVs to hit the market first. Those will even be thinner and offer much better color and none of the viewing angle issues with current LCD technology.
                              I have been keeping up completly on OLED, and all indications are it will be a minimum of 2-3 years before we see full size 55in or larger sets that are more than demo and concept models. And even then, they are going to blow your mind in price. Samsung announced at CES they are doubling R&D on OLED, and even starting on a factory. My plan right now is to buy a good set that will last 3-5 years till OLED gets going and by the end of 5, prices shouldn't make you :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X