No announcement yet.

Google: "Just Say No" To Rogue Android Apps

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google: "Just Say No" To Rogue Android Apps

Your Android phone has a built-in kill switch for nasty apps. And Google, apparently, is not afraid to use it.

Over the weekend, the search giant announced that it had remotely wiped “a number” of malicious Android apps from users’ phones, programs that earlier in the week had been identified as malware and pulled from Android’s app store. “We are remotely removing the malicious applications from affected devices. This remote application removal feature is one of many security controls the Android team can use to help protect users from malicious applications,” Google wrote on its mobile blog, linking to an explanation it posted in June of a built-in functionality for deleting apps from users’ phones. Source.
    The only reason - bedsides me having a subscription in Google reader to this guys blog - this article caught my attention is because I have finally left the Dark Ages and bought a smart phone (Verizon Motorola Android X).

After years - about 6 - of taking the free phone from Verizon - the smallest cheapest phone available - I felt it necessary to upgrade and join the rest of civilized humanity.

For most of my adult life I always had to have the newest, most expensive, cell phone on the market. What can I say, new tech used to really get me going. But years ago different things started to be more important - but no longer!

My first thoughts about the phone: What the hell was I waiting for! This thing is completely awesome, everything is fully integrated with my Google account, lots of free apps, it basically does everything.

I spent a few days last week studying my options but it came to this: iPhone or Android?

But in the end it boiled down to this: Two androids - one for my wife and I - was $100 Dollars cheaper with the rebate, and I like that I could turn the Android phone sideways creating a widescreen keyboard for writing emails and texting - not to mention the size of the screen and more free apps.

Anyway, please welcome me to the 21st century. I can't believe I waited this long to get one of these.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed