Difference between 2 Win7 pro versions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 2 Win7 pro versions

My father is finally building a new system and will finally switch from Win XP to Win 7. However, he found System Builder version of Windows 7 Pro on Amazon and is trying to figure out why is it so much cheaper compared to the other Win 7 Pro that goes for almost double the price. Frankly, I am stumped as well.

What is the difference between the System Builder version and the default version? And which one should I recommend to him?

Thanks in advance

Re: Difference between 2 Win7 pro versions

The System Builder version is the OEM version meant for well, system builders (people who put their own rigs together). It does not come with manuals, extra packing fluff, and only that particular version of Windows is included on the disk. The retail version (default as you put it) comes with a small manual, some marketing pamphlets, and the DVD supposedly includes all versions of Windows 7, thus allowing you to "upgrade at any time" after paying Microsoft.

Get the System Builder's version. He doesn't need to get retail if he's building his own rig.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The boxed one probably allows you to install it on different systems. The system builder is for installing on one computer. If you change motherboard you are supposed to buy a new system builder set.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
        The boxed one probably allows you to install it on different systems. The system builder is for installing on one computer. If you change motherboard you are supposed to buy a new system builder set.
        And what happens if he was to RMA the motherboard after already installing the OEM version?

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
          And what happens if he was to RMA the motherboard after already installing the OEM version?
          There won't be an issue if he gets back a board back with the same chipset. If he gets a new board board back (say different chipset and a newer model), then it's usually recommended, he do a clean install of Windows 7 again.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Then the motherboard, etc of the computer he's got is the one that the OEM license takes effect on. The OEM versions of windows are also cheaper because you get a cheaper, modified license. OEM versions, if you change the computer significantly (motherboard, CPU, sometimes changing more than 2-3 peripherals like a soundcard or videocard) you lose your activation as your license only allows you to use it on one install.

Windows will detect that your hardware has changed, and you lose your activation and have to contact Microsoft to reactivate it, since with OEM versions you're only allowed to put it on one system at a time.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Just buy the OEM version, that's what almost everybody does and it works fine. The activation stuff is overblown, I've never seen my Windows activation fail because of changing hardware and I have constantly tinkered with my computer over the past year. Also, in the past I have removed an OEM install of Windows Vista from one computer and installed it on a different computer and it still activated and worked perfectly fine -- YMMV.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                The retail version (default as you put it) comes with a small manual, some marketing pamphlets, and the DVD supposedly includes all versions of Windows 7, thus allowing you to "upgrade at any time" after paying Microsoft.
                Also has both 32bit and 64bit installers for the specific flavor of Windows as well.

Originally posted by FL1Pmode
                Basically, the license covers a specific system without any "major" hardware changes. Parts that have to be RMA'd are, generally speaking, not considered a major hardware change (though reactivation may require contacting Microsoft support as the key might be denied). For the most part, MS support is pretty lenient on OEM license reactivations and won't deny you (I've outright told support that I was completely changing OS registration between computers and they simply re-authenticated the keys without any guff).

Originally posted by VoodooIT
                Also, in the past I have removed an OEM install of Windows Vista from one computer and installed it on a different computer and it still activated and worked perfectly fine -- YMMV.
                Yeah... Vista is a little weird like that (Vista seems to only care if you do something like connect both computers to the Internet at the same time). I don't have personal experience of 7 acting in this way, however.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
                  Just buy the OEM version, that's what almost everybody does and it works fine. The activation stuff is overblown, I've never seen my Windows activation fail because of changing hardware and I have constantly tinkered with my computer over the past year. Also, in the past I have removed an OEM install of Windows Vista from one computer and installed it on a different computer and it still activated and worked perfectly fine -- YMMV.
                  I've haven't had any problems either with Windows activation either. It really is pretty overblown.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                    Since I use the OEM version I just wanted to weigh in, since I have had this version I have changed motherboards, video cards, and added memory and never had an issue with license not being good. I have never had to call microsoft either. When I changed motherboards I just did a reformat and re-installed it (and it was even a different brand and chipset of motherboard)
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                      Since I use the OEM version I just wanted to weigh in, since I have had this version I have changed motherboards, video cards, and added memory and never had an issue with license not being good. I have never had to call microsoft either. When I changed motherboards I just did a reformat and re-installed it (and it was even a different brand and chipset of motherboard)
                      And this was Windows 7 correct? I am in the same boat right now debating what to get. Not everyone can pay a decent price for the student version.
                      Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

yeah this is win 7 pro 64
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X