Need help buying a video card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help buying a video card

I currently have an Nvidia Ge force 8800GTS MB and it runs great even after almost 5 years. The only problem with it is there is no on-board audio. I can connect via DVI to HDMI cable or S-video to my TV but I can only get the sound to work with S-video. Apparently my TV will not accept audio input through any of the audio inputs when in HDMI mode. I imagine this is because the audio is suppose to come through the HDMI wire. Ok, that's cool I have an Asus P5NE-SLI motherboard so I can maybe fix the sound issue and maybe speed up performance at the same time.

You may be wondering why not just stick with s-video. Well DVI-HDMI has a much nicer picture. :row__265: In S-video I can barely read text on the screen. HDMI it's a crystal clear picture.
    I have about $75 to spend here. I'm just looking for a video card as fast as the 8800 with SLI and audio. You guys know of any comparable Nvidia chip-set cards with those capabilities?
    It's also a backup card in case... :icon33:

Specs:
    Asus P5NE-SLI motherboard
    3 gig DDR2 800mhz memory
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 320m video card (no overclock)
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    700w Power supply
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz (no overclock)

Had 2 - 8800's in SLI mode a few years back so I'm sure PSU/motherboard can handle it. Sold other card to cousin so I could shoot/knife him in 2142. :row__685:

Just bought a ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 256MB ($24) for my sons 3ghz dual core computer and it has on-board audio. Using similar DVI to HDMI cable for that and it works great.
    Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Re: Need help buying a video card

Actually most modern video cards with HDMI outs do support audio carry through as well. What you have to do is connect a cable from the SPDIF out pins on your motherboard to the SPDIF in pins on the video card if you want to have audio as well as video.

Keep in mind that you should be using the latest drivers available for your card to ensure you don't run into any problems.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

No SPDIF :(
      Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

It is impossible to run a digital and an analog signal togeather... the reason I cannot get sound on the TV. I am wondering though if I get an optical cord will that work? My TV and one of my Sound Blaster cards have Optical interfaces. I have never used Optical before.
        Or opt to buy a DVI to VGA cord and use the 3.5mm to RCA (red/white wires) for sound as I did with the S-video. I'm worried the DVI to VGA video quality will be as bad as S-video; difficult to read text and somewhat blurry picture... The difference? It's like watching an old VHS tape then watching a DVD.
        My main monitor is an old Dell M780 and sometimes like to play games on the larger TV. 2142, Deadspace, and Starcraft 2 are fun to play like that. :)

Anyone ever try Optical? Will it work with the HDMI signal? Both the Optical and the DVI to VGA cords are under $10... much cheaper then a new video card.

Sorry, I did forget to list my sound cards. Creative Soundblaster X-Fi. The other is on-board; Realtek.

I originally just used the on-board, the front and back jacks are separate... so it worked like two separate sound cards. I can select one jack (front or back) as default and start a movie on the TV then select the other jack and start a game and the signals would be seperate. But on-board... there is a noticeable difference in sound quality when playing games so I used the Sound Blaster card for my headphones/speakers. That and the Realtek sometimes is not loud enough even with powered speakers.

Comment

I don't know if it'll work as I think the HDMI audio out portion only works with digital input (like SPDIF). Try calling up XFX (or posting on nVidia's forums) and see if anyone knows if the audio input pins on your video card will take connections from non-SPDIF pin outs (like optical and such).

I've actually never bothered to tinker with that part of the graphics card myself since I had no intention of ever using the HDMI port on my own HD5830 card.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My video card does not have SPDIF. I took it out of the case and looked it over after your first post. No connections aside from the 2 DVI, S-video, power. Even pulled the casing off the video card to be sure. Did some dust cleaning too while it was out. :)

I have been reading/researching cords and video cards trying to find a solution. The video cards I have found with SLI and audio (SPDIF or onboard) are about $70+.
            http://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidia...1299877173070#
            That is $20, but I'm not sure what I'm buying. Going to do some more reading. :) Spent about 16 hours on and off in the last week trying to understand half this stuff. Nvidia Pure Video is confusing. Most of the 'newer' cards support it but it doesn't mean the video card has sound... Love the internet but it's hard to get a strait answer sometimes. I'm trying. :) Thank you for your help in the matter.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...MQ%21%21&p_li=

Part of me wants to just convert to ATI but I tried that last year and had nothing but trouble with compatability issues with my motherboard. Even after four RMA's my computer was subject to random crashes. 5770 was a good card. Switched back to the 8800 and computer runs 24/7 no problem with about the same performance.

I really do wish ATI and Nvidia were compatable. It would be so sweet to run Nvidia/ATI togeather in SLI/Crossfire.

Comment

Just bought a optical cable and an DVI to VGA cable off ebay... $16 total and either way I hope I can get the audio on the TV to work. If not I can always use the wires on my sister and brothers rigs. :) Setting them both up. Just finished ordering parts for my brothers rig. Gotta love Ebay/NewEgg. Where else can you build a computer for $100 :d Nothing fancy, just for watching videos and surfing the net. My cousin blew $600 last month on basically the same rig at Wallmart. He's got a nice monitor at least. :p

Intel Pentium 3.33ghz CPU
              Socket 775 HP motherboard
              CPU fan/heat sink
              650w PSU
              ATI 2400 XT 256MB video card
              2 gig 800mhz DDR2 memory

Thank you for trying to help Acreo Aeneas. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Hmm, looking back, it seems you have a 8800GTS first generation card?

If so, then no, they never implemented audio for the HDMI out port on that card. As it stands, there's no mandate for HDMI to have to carry audio as well as video.

As for which video, let me do some research and I'll post back probably tomorrow with a small list.

In the meantime, answer these questions so I know what to pick out graphics card wise:
                1) are you planning on playing any games? If so, which ones?
                2) What kind of work do you do on your computer (besides gaming)? Programs you use?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This computer is mainly for gaming. :d It's in my living room so of course I play videos on the TV. 2142, Warhammer 40,000, BFBC2, Starcraft 2, Freelancer, Deadspace. BFBC2 and Starcraft 2 are playable but have to lower video settings. Deadspace and Starcraft 2 are fun games to play on the TV. Son loves Deadspace...he's 5, so does my nephew. I'm thinking about getting Deadspace 2. Movies are rather fun to watch as well. :)

My other computer is basically a glorified DVD player. That is why the ATI 2400 was perfect for it. Was using an old, old Nvidia 5500 with S-video... had to keep an old computer monitor connected because I could not read the text to surf or pick out movies in my library or Netflix. My son is just starting to read so the improved video quality helps with some of the educational programs and in in his selection of videos.
                  My gaming computer is a quad core, but I use my older dual core (sons rig) as a server to store videos. Have ripped my DVD collection to the computer since my son started getting up and about. For ease of access and to protect the DVD's. My brother moved into the downstairs apartment so I wanted to build him a rig so he could share the library and so I wouldn't have to worry about DVD's missing, he could also share Internet and Netflix (nice birthday present wouldn't you say). DVD's stay nice and safe in the closet. :) Gotta love home networking. Made a custom 100' ethernet cable to run downstairs. Tested and and gets 10MBps transfer rate.

Yes the ATI 2400 has audio out through the DVI with the use of the adapter. The card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter. Ran a HDMI wire off of that to TV

Is it possible to run 2 Nvidia cards in SLI that are different models? Like a 8800 and a 7600?

Comment

You cannot run different Nvidia models together in SLI.

An Nvidia card with similar gaming capabilities to your current card that should support sound over HDMI is the gt 240 (make usre its the version with GDDR5).
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

So the GT 240 is compatible with the 8800gts 320 in SLI? That would be cool considering they're under $100. Here is an Ebay link. If I purchased this card I could run it in SLI (240 in #1 slot) and it would work? And if not I would get better performance with the GT240 then the 8800? Heat is not an issue... lots of cooling. :) 8800 never goes over 50c even under load.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XFX-GT-240X-...item588ce5768a

The 8800 is a good card. Heck, I can run games using my monitor and play movies (netflix, VLC, Media Player) with no real difference in performance. Only real problem is I have to select sound (Realtek for TV Soundblaster speakers/headphones) before starting games/movies or the sound may play through to the wrong source. For instance if I start a movie on the TV and start playing 2142. If the movie ends and I'm still playing... I have to Alt-Tab and select Realtek, start the movie. If I do not remember to switch back the sound to the Soundblaster card and the round ends squad chat can be heard through the TV instead of the headphones... that really pisses my son off. That is about the biggest problem I have had doing this. That and sometimes 2142 doesn't like to be Alt-Tabbed. Love Nvidia cards. Never had one die on me and updates are far simpler then ATI.

Comment

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...t-1201780.html
                        Been reading. Love threads like this where it is not just "my friends pet monkey says this..." But they give links to back up arguments. That Ebay card only runs $90 with 1 gig DDR5 mem and SLI. Had to edit previous post cus the link was to an non-SLI card. Looks like a good card and a little faster then the 8800. So does this mean the performance of the GT240 will be dragged down a little by the 8800 but overall performance will be increased? If that's the case then I'm going to get the card next paycheck. :D
                        I'm just afraid of spending the money then getting stuck with the card rather then spending an extra $10-20 to get a slightly different card.
                        Long posts... but trying to explain what applications the hardware and my understanding of the tech.

I can't imagine the tech that is going to come out in the future. Hell I can barely understand the tech that has been coming out since I first started with computers in the DOS age. I miss my old 75Mhz :( with 8mb ram and 40MB hard drive sometimes. Simpler times.

Comment

Originally posted by Megaputz View Post
                          So the GT 240 is compatible with the 8800gts 320 in SLI?
                          No. In order to run SLI, you need two cards of the exact same model. As your 8800GTS is no longer produced, SLI is out of the question. It's also out of the question because of the lack of audio connections on the card (it only carries video over HDMI).

Also, there is no need to waste money on SLI. SLI really doesn't offer enough performance boost to justify an extra card's cost in HD resolution gaming (the same can't be said for multi-monitor setups where SLI/Crossfire really shines).

And if not I would get better performance with the GT240 then the 8800?
                          Honestly, it's roughly similar performance as the GT240 is actually on par with a 9600GT, but not quite there in some titles. With modern games like the ones you're playing, you might as well go for more power than a sub-midrange card like the GT240.

You know what, I'll just plop down one card until I find some time to find a better sub-$100 card:

nVidia GTX460
                          - $130 after MIR
                          - 768 MB onboard VRAM
                          - twin-fan cooling (I've read claims it only hits about 55 C on full load)
                          - Great 1080p gaming performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127519

It'll let you play all the games you mentioned without breaking much of a sweat @ 1920 x 1080. It's probably a good step above my own HD5830, so roughly slightly better than a HD5850. In other words along the lines of 1.5-2x the performance of your current 8800GTS.

To top it off, it's amongst the newer nVidia cards with a built-in HD audio decoder. So when you install the card, install the drivers, you'll see an extra audio device. That extra device is meant to route your audio through it (instead of your X-Fi or onboard audio) when you're using HDMI.

It's much better solution than having to hook up a 2-pin SPDIF connection.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I found a used GTS250 for $70 here: http://www.overclock.net/video/95517...gt-gts250.html

Benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...50,2172-5.html

Edit: Found another used GTS 450 for $90. The extra $20 may be worth it.

http://www.overclock.net/video/94881...gts-450-a.html
                            Last edited by Kappa; 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM.
                            A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

The GTS450 is a rebranded 8800GTX+. So that would probably be your best bet under $100 for the nvidia side. Though I'd still highly recommend going for the GTX460 I posted above. It's signifcantly a better performer.

Here's a comparison between the GTS450 vs. the GTX460 768 MB to contrast the performance differences:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/316?vs=315

For literally $40 more, you're getting a much better card and it's something that'll hold you even for BF3.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X