Fall3n's Sandy Bridge Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall3n's Sandy Bridge Build

So I'm using this to document my new Sandy Bridge build. Currently almost all parts have been ordered and I will receive them all by the end of next week.

SB Build -

CPU: 2500k or 2600k
    *Reason is I havn't been able to choose between the two... the only difference really is that the 2600k has hyper threading and an extra 2Mb L3 cache. With that said, the 2500k and 2600k will play almost identical in games. Hyper threading actually hinders framerates in games, so unless I'll be doing any intensive encoding, etc then I won't see a difference between the two. My heart says 2600k, my brain says 2500k since I won't make use of the hyper threading in games if I do decide on the 2600k I'll end up turning off hyper threading. It's a $100 difference between the two.

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130574

Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231445

PSU: Corsair HX650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012

Hard Drive/s: This is another I havn't decided upon yet. My motherboard is SATA III 6.0Gb/s compliant but I have heard that SATA drives don't even saturate the entire 3.0Gb/s so I'm not sure if that's a marketing gimmick or not. Either way I was between putting two 640 Gb caviar blacks in Raid 0 at about $140, or getting one Hitachi 2Tb drive at $120. Raid 0 for gaming will only really come through when I do installs or loading large maps. Also to add, Hitachi actually has the lowest failure rate with hard drives, despite it's decade long ago fiasco with the "Deathstar" incident. To add to that though, WD is actually buying out Hitachi.

GPU: So it's between the EVGA 570 or 580. The only reason I havn't decided on this either is I havn't decided on what processor to get. I tend to upgrade GPUs more than CPUs so that may come down as a deciding factor. Plus, an OC'd 570 does just as good or better than a non-OC'd 580. So I'm not sure if the extra $150 price premium is worth it.

Case: Silverstone FT02: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030MHEKY

Display: Dell U2311H: http://www.dell.com/us/en/enterprise...h&cs=555&s=biz
    *Some earlier revisions of this IPS panel had color uniformity issues, the issue has been taken care of in the new revisions.

So that's it, pictures will come in a couple weeks when I start receiving things =D
    Last edited by Kappa; 03-10-2011, 02:27 AM.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: Fall3n's Sandy Bridge Build

239 for a case?! I know that's a great case and all, but it doesn't impress me enough that I'd spend that much on it. Coolermaster 932 HAF full tower here... Silent and deadly.
    Skud

Comment

CPU: 2500k just makes more sense. $100 dollar difference is a lot when it is a third of the cost of a 2600k. You will never notice the difference in performance between the two cpus unless you're running synthetic benchmarks. Put that $100 towards something else in your build.

Hard Drive: A mechanical hard drive will not saturate a SATA 3.0Gb/s bandwidth so the SATA 6.0Gb/s connection doesn't make a difference if you're looking at the Caviar Blacks or the Hitachi drive (it doesn't hurt either though). However, if you go with one of the new SSD's or even certain last gen SSD's like the Crucial C300, those SSD's will in fact make use of the extra bandwidth of a SATA 6.0Gb/s connection. I think it would be a good idea to put that $100 you saved on your CPU choice into a next gen SSD. If you're going with a mechanical drive, I'm partial to the WD Caviar black drives. Caution: Raid 0 will make an appreciable difference in day to day computer performance, but it is also a little more of a hassle if things go wrong like one of the drives dying.

GPU: Here's where you could also put the extra $100 you saved on your CPU. I have an EVGA GTX 580 and I love it, it's noticeably faster than my old setup of GTX 275 SLI. Between the 570 and 580 though, I would imagine the 570 is a better deal.

Case: Cases are typically a matter of preference, but I'll just say that I'm a huge fan of Corsair cases. This one is a scaled down version of their high end 800D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%20650d

Display: I went from a 24" Dell 2405FPW with a PVA panel to dual 24" Dell U2410's and I have to say I love these monitors. They also use IPS panels just like the Dell U2311H you're looking at. Color accuracy is definitely better: colors just look better on my new monitor although maybe that's because my old monitor was OLD. Also, I don't have any problems with ghosting or lag that is sometimes characteristic of IPS panels. BC2 looks and runs fantastic on this monitor.
      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
        239 for a case?! I know that's a great case and all, but it doesn't impress me enough that I'd spend that much on it. Coolermaster 932 HAF full tower here... Silent and deadly.
        Yeah the $239 is a bit of a stretch, but it's a long term investment and I believe the build of the silverstone and material is of better quality. I love that it tilts the motherboard at 90 degrees. the bottom flow intake brings air right across the motherboard then right out the top.

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
        CPU: 2500k just makes more sense. $100 dollar difference is a lot when it is a third of the cost of a 2600k. You will never notice the difference in performance between the two cpus unless you're running synthetic benchmarks. Put that $100 towards something else in your build.

Hard Drive: A mechanical hard drive will not saturate a SATA 3.0Gb/s bandwidth so the SATA 6.0Gb/s connection doesn't make a difference if you're looking at the Caviar Blacks or the Hitachi drive (it doesn't hurt either though). However, if you go with one of the new SSD's or even certain last gen SSD's like the Crucial C300, those SSD's will in fact make use of the extra bandwidth of a SATA 6.0Gb/s connection. I think it would be a good idea to put that $100 you saved on your CPU choice into a next gen SSD. If you're going with a mechanical drive, I'm partial to the WD Caviar black drives. Caution: Raid 0 will make an appreciable difference in day to day computer performance, but it is also a little more of a hassle if things go wrong like one of the drives dying.

GPU: Here's where you could also put the extra $100 you saved on your CPU. I have an EVGA GTX 580 and I love it, it's noticeably faster than my old setup of GTX 275 SLI. Between the 570 and 580 though, I would imagine the 570 is a better deal.

Case: Cases are typically a matter of preference, but I'll just say that I'm a huge fan of Corsair cases. This one is a scaled down version of their high end 800D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%20650d

Display: I went from a 24" Dell 2405FPW with a PVA panel to dual 24" Dell U2410's and I have to say I love these monitors. They also use IPS panels just like the Dell U2311H you're looking at. Color accuracy is definitely better: colors just look better on my new monitor although maybe that's because my old monitor was OLD. Also, I don't have any problems with ghosting or lag that is sometimes characteristic of IPS panels. BC2 looks and runs fantastic on this monitor.
        Yeah, if I do choose the 2500k I havn't quite decided on an SSD or gtx 580. I feel like the 580 is just a tad to much for the price considering I can easily make a 570 OC'd compete with it. Choices, choices lol. That case is a great case, it was also one that I was considering.

Also, I am a firm believer in the newer IPS panels over TN. According to tft central, the u2311h has a slightly faster response than the U2410, mainly due I believe because the u2311h has a e-IPS panel. But... the U2410 has better quality around the board. Either way, I felt that I made a good choice going with the u2311h.

With all of that said, the only thing that makes me hang on the 2500k/2600k decision is that I tend to upgrade my cpu last over everything else. Everything other than the cpu, hdd, and gpu have been purchased. So in the next day or so I'll make up my mind.
        A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

For your CPU decision, go take a look at the Sandy Bridge reviews from Anandtech or Techreport and take a close look at how the 2500k matches up with the 2600k in the usage scenarios that apply to you (i.e. gaming, office productivity or video encoding benchmarks). If there's a noticeable difference in performance in some of the tasks you would do on a normal basis, then springing for the 2600k wouldn't be the a waste of money. Peace of mind in your purchase decisions is a great thing.

If you do save the $100 though, in my opinion an SSD upgrade would make a greater impact on the performance "feel" of your computer than an upgrade to the GTX 580.

Comment

Doing a very similar build right now and am torn between the 2500 & 2600 as well.

SSD for the OS and programs so it is going to need to be about a 120gig. Not sure on the make just yet.

2nd HD is a WD Green at 1TB.

PSU is Corsair 750AX.

All other parts I am waiting a few more months for to see what happens. The GPU will be the last thing I get but it will be whatever is top of the line at the time.
            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
              Doing a very similar build right now and am torn between the 2500 & 2600 as well.

SSD for the OS and programs so it is going to need to be about a 120gig. Not sure on the make just yet.

2nd HD is a WD Green at 1TB.

PSU is Corsair 750AX.

All other parts I am waiting a few more months for to see what happens. The GPU will be the last thing I get but it will be whatever is top of the line at the time.
              Greasy, from the other thread you made I thought you were set on a gaming laptop? Changed your mind?

2500k vs. 2600k - If you are really torn between the two CPUs then just spring for the 2600k. Another $100 spent on a CPU from a $1500 build isn't a big deal. But if the budget for this PC is strict just go with the 2500k. You would probably never notice the difference between the two in real world usage scenarios plus the unlocked multiplier essentially negates any frequency advantage that the 2600k has.

Comment

Yea I have changed my mind... sorta. ;)

I decided to have cake and eat it too. So I am building a desk top for while I am home and then going to get a smaller 15inch gaming laptop down the road like the G53SW instead of the G73SW. I went back and looked at my last build and I spent around 2100 on everything I got including case and monitor. I feel I can re-use some things and spend a comparable amount on the new rig spread out over time for both the desktop upgrade and smaller 15inch Asus.
                Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                  Yea I have changed my mind... sorta. ;)

I decided to have cake and eat it too. So I am building a desk top for while I am home and then going to get a smaller 15inch gaming laptop down the road like the G53SW instead of the G73SW. I went back and looked at my last build and I spent around 2100 on everything I got including case and monitor. I feel I can re-use some things and spend a comparable amount on the new rig spread out over time for both the desktop upgrade and smaller 15inch Asus.
                  When I hit college, I decided to get a gaming laptop. It's nice and all... but 3 years down the road, I believe the money that I used for the laptop wasn't well spent. Sure the laptop has its portability but that convenience starts to become a hindrance in gaming after awhile. New games come out that are more demanding and you just start wishing you put the money into something upgradable. I have a 8800 in my laptop and a decent duo processor. But overclocking, etc, etc isn't an option as I'm sure you know.

With that said, I decided on going with the 2600k. I don't switch out CPUs and much as I do GPUs, so the extra $100 was just a insurance policy. Also, I decided on getting the 2Tb Hitachi drive. The Hitachi drive is actually the fastest 7200RPM drive in benchmarks and it has the lowest fail rate. Down the road if I choose to do Raid 0 I'll just grab another. Now with the GPU, I'm still on the fence. I just got a $25 off coupon in my email and I also have a $50 gift certificate for Newegg. That takes half the difference off between the 570 and 580.
                  A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I just bought myself a Corsair 600T and cant say enough good things about it. The build quality is awesome, has a fan controller built in front usb3 and has great airflow. They call it a midsized case but people argue with that because it is large enough to hold what a full size case can.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/54712/CC600T/Corsair/

Comment

So I have been looking for a good set of 2.1 speakers and I wanted quality over a muddy base and inaccurate sound reproduction. With that said, I sprung for the Swan M10's. Very difficult to find but here they are: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=89.

They are very elegant, and I actually welcome the white with my all black system. Gives it some extra color.

Originally posted by Canada2005 View Post
                      I just bought myself a Corsair 600T and cant say enough good things about it. The build quality is awesome, has a fan controller built in front usb3 and has great airflow. They call it a midsized case but people argue with that because it is large enough to hold what a full size case can.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/54712/CC600T/Corsair/
                      Very nice case, many of the Corsair cases were on my list of possible buys. If I bought that case I would most likely removed the HDD cages on the bottom and throw my HDD in one of the 5" slots up top. This would give better airflow from the intake on the bottom to go right over the motherboard and graphic card.
                      Last edited by Kappa; 03-14-2011, 03:27 AM.
                      A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Originally posted by Fall3n View Post
                        Very nice case, many of the Corsair cases were on my list of possible buys. If I bought that case I would most likely removed the HDD cages on the bottom and throw my HDD in one of the 5" slots up top. This would give better airflow from the intake on the bottom to go right over the motherboard and graphic card.
                        I just moved the cage over to the other spot and it still has great airflow

Comment

Originally posted by Canada2005 View Post
                          I just moved the cage over to the other spot and it still has great airflow
                          Very nice setup :D. Loving the cable management holes.
                          A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

I'll also throw in that Corsair's 800D is probably the way to go if you're going to plop down serious money on a case. The overall design is almost perfect down to the front-end removable hard drive trays. Airflow is superior and the fact it's thick aluminum makes it a big plus.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Revised and everything ordered... yes I splurged a bit lol...

SB Build -

CPU:i7 2600k
                              Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65
                              Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600
                              PSU: Corsair HX750
                              Hard Drive/s: 2Tb Hitachi 7200RPM
                              GPU: EVGA GTX580 SC
                              Case: Silverstone FT02
                              Display: Dell U2311H

So I made my decisions and finalized my orders and this is the result compared to the top list. I went with the i7 2600k, 2Tb Hitachi drive, and the EVGA GTX580 SC graphics card. With the 580 and the i7 2600k being overclocked up to about 4.8Ghz(gonna shoot for 5Ghz, but not for 24/7). With the change of graphics card, I decided to switch to the Corsair HX750 watt PSU over the 650 watt. Even though the 650 was quite capable, it didn't leave much headroom. Also to add that having the PSU for a year adds about 10% capacitor degradation, so the headroom of the 650 would even shrink over time. I had a $25 gift certificate that needed to be used so I closed the gap between the two power supplies to about nothing. But instead I get an extra 100 watts to work with for the future and for overclocking.

99% of everything will be at my doorstep in 2-3 days. Pics will come shortly afterwards :D.
                              Last edited by Kappa; 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM.
                              A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X