Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Unit question for tech know it alls

Hey Everyone,

Been having some problems with my computer, the fans will turn on but I get a black screen for 30 seconds before it shuts down. I don't even get the beeps from my MB.

Basically I think it might be my PSU or my MB. I am trying to eliminate the PSU since its the cheapest fix.

So I have it plugged into a PSU tester I have which contains 7 LED lights for the MB connection they are:

+5V
    -5V
    +12V
    +5VSB
    PG
    -12V
    +3.3V

so everything lights up except the -5V LED, I talked to the PSU company and the say it isn't used. According to my MB manual there is a pin for it so I am a bit confused.

Any ideas would be great, if I can avoid purchasing a new MB (and probably a new CPU) I'd like to.

Cheers

Re: PSU Unit question for tech know it alls

-5V is no longer used. It used to be used in the '90s and early '00s, but multiple rail 12Vs, the advent of +3.3V and distributed load over +5V has basically eliminated the need for the -5V rail. It's still included in most PSUs as it is still in the ATX standard.

As for PSU testers, they're great to see if there's a malfunctioning line, but useless since they don't tell you whether or not your PSU can perform under load conditions.

My guess here is that your PSU is most likely at fault and just can't handle the load your system is putting on it. As for a new PSU, I'd recommend at least a 500W from a reputable brand like: Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Antec, etc. Depending on what your actual specs are, you might have to go for a 600W or a 650W PSU.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the info

I actually have a 600W OCZ currently which I thought would be more than enough.

I guess I'll trying picking up a new one and if it doesn't work I'll maybe get an exchange to put towards a new MB.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
        Thanks for the info

I actually have a 600W OCZ currently which I thought would be more than enough.

I guess I'll trying picking up a new one and if it doesn't work I'll maybe get an exchange to put towards a new MB.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
        If it does indeed turn out to be the PSU, keep in mind that if your current one is still under warranty, then I'd suggest RMAing it with OCZ and getting a replacement. Would save you a bit of cash. And later if you decide to keep the new PSU you bought to test with, you'd at least have a quality backup for a future rig/test build.

Other things off the top of my head that could cause that problem:

1. Dead hard drives.

If you have any dead/non-working hard drives connected to the system (internally or externally), these will usually cause all kinds of weird problems. Mostly it means failed startups/restarts. Remove them and your problems disappear.

2. Dead CMOS battery.

If your motherboard is over 8 years old, your CMOS battery could be dead. In which case your system could reboot on a restart/cold start (since your BIOS settings keep resetting on every cold boot). Replace the battery.

3. Bad power cable.

This is rare, but I've experienced it several times over the years. Pretty simple and straightforward: replace the power cable.

4. Bad power strip/wall outlet.

Even rarer, but it happens. Try a different strip or outlet.

5. Safe mode

Try booting into safe mode (if you can) to see if this might be caused by a software issue.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X