New build advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build advice needed

Disclaimer: My seperation from the hardware side of IT came about 10 years ago. Building it is easy, knowing the hardware technolgy is something I am not familiar with anymore. My career took me from IT into databases.

What I do not need: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, joystick, etc. Just the stuff that goes in the case.

I have a cooler master centurion c5 (cac-t05 case) which I would prefer to continue using. I have no problems with integrated sound on the mobo, since I mostly game with a headset, but all the guts in a case is what I need. This will be a gaming rig for myself for the next 3 years.

Budget: $1300

I will need the os as well, but I know squat about the windows 7 versions. If someone would not mind taking the time to help me with a rig that fits that budget and vague description I would be grateful. There is a good chance I would buy the wrong ram or some noob mistake like that, were I to do it.

Thanks!
    sigpic

Re: New build advice needed

First off, what games are you playing and what games do you want to play in the near future?

Second, what resolution is your monitor?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use two monitors at 1280x1024 with dvi cables to vid card. One of those was going to be repurposed for the son's computer, to be replaced probably with this acer monitor. I set aside 200 for the monitor and 1300 for the machine. Primarily 1st person shooters Like the battlefield series, as far as games I will use it for, however I am equal opportunity and tend to do a little bit of everything.
      sigpic

Comment

Here is what I just upgraded too:

Everything from this site can be priced matched for better prices if found from other websites.
        I have had a great experience from Ncix.com which is the Canadian version.

Intel i7 2600k: $311.55
        Asus p8p67 Deluxe: $231.15
        Corsair 8gb Vengeance: $95.47
        OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (having a bad experience with OCZ might recommend Corsair SSD instead): OCZ $224.10 Corsair $221.10
        Corsair H50 CPU Watercooling: $45.22
        Corsair Case 600T: $170.84

Approx. $1080 total without shipping

Comment

This is kinda what I put together so far from newegg and puts me at 1450 bucks (1500 is goal with monitor). The first item is 16 gig of ram (4x4):

2Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
          Item #:N82E16820104173
          1Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
          Item #:N82E16822148506
          1Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor - Retail
          Item #:N82E16824009266
          1HP BD Combo SATA Model BD240I-h01 LightScribe Support
          Item #:N82E16827140046
          1EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card
          Item #:N82E16814130550
          1CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
          Item #:N82E16817139006
          1Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
          Item #:N82E16832116754
          1GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 ATX AMD Motherboard
          Item #: N82E16813128441
          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
          Item #: N82E16819103913
          sigpic

Comment

Curious why you would choose a 400 series card at this juncture when the 500 series cards offer a very good value (and ATI has some cards that are very competitive in this price range). The rest of your choices are very good but I might think of using an H50 cooler that allows better heat dissipation if you intend to overclock the system at all. I keep thinking that I'm ready to build again but I still haven't found the MoBo that offers all the features of my present board and I'm not ready to build an Intel system yet (But I'm getting closer).
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Because I know squat about hardware, is why I chose that card, that and good reviews. Hopefully folks will catch any incompatibilities also :) I am more than willing to change the card up.
              sigpic

Comment

I was ready to purchase a GTX550 Ti (about $150) but one of my buddies wanted to sell his 460 so I picked it up at a bargain. I do plan on building again soon and I'll definitely go stronger for a new build. Again, you've made some outstanding choices and it'll stand up for a few years but I'd go a little stronger on a card for a new build. If you're not in to big a hurry, you might wait and see what the AM3+ boards and CPU's will have to offer.
                Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Originally posted by Spur View Post
                  This is kinda what I put together so far from newegg and puts me at 1450 bucks (1500 is goal with monitor). The first item is 16 gig of ram (4x4):

2Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
                  Item #:N82E16820104173
                  1Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
                  Item #:N82E16822148506
                  1Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor - Retail
                  Item #:N82E16824009266
                  1HP BD Combo SATA Model BD240I-h01 LightScribe Support
                  Item #:N82E16827140046
                  1EVGA GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 012-P3-1470-AR Video Card
                  Item #:N82E16814130550
                  1CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
                  Item #:N82E16817139006
                  1Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
                  Item #:N82E16832116754
                  1GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 ATX AMD Motherboard
                  Item #: N82E16813128441
                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
                  Item #: N82E16819103913
                  That is a solid build for someone who thinks they know nothing about hardware?

I would change the PSU to 1,000 watts(1kw), same manufacturer!, this will help with future upgrades, people say not running a PSU at more than 50-80% of it's capacity harms the PSU, this may be true but if you buy a good quality one from a reputable manufacturer it should be no problem.

You may also want to consider a WD Raptor Hard drive for your games, the newest one is 600GB and runs at 10,000rpm, I use a smaller size one and cannot fault it!

Comment

OK, so I switched out the video card with this one Because it is a 560. Is that one any good or is there something better in the $250 range?

Gonna chintz at 750 watts for now because the the 1000 watt ones cost a good 50-100 bucks more for the quality, and my budget is on the fine line right now.

Kinda torn on the WD velociraptor. 280 bucks vs 170 for the seagate. I can recycle one of my existing drives for media and go with it, but it does put me a about 80 bucks over budget. May loosen the purse strings on that one. I can always get an extra drive in the future...
                    sigpic

Comment

Does cooling come with that processor? I didn't see any indication of a fan or anything coming with it. Is it worth considering some other cooling product to tack onto the back of that processor?
                      sigpic

Comment

I am not sure but it should come with a cooler and if it does it should be fine, you can look at some good coolers if you like, but if the CPU comes with one I would use that and see how the Temps look while running a game, over 70c would have me worried. I have an i7 920 2.6ghz with stock Intel cooler and it works fine, I would prefer a better cooler/heatsink but the one I have works fine.

Have a look at the raptor just for games and the OS and a second drive for everything else, the capacity of the raptor is what lets it down but it is up to you whether or not the 6ooGB is sufficient for what you need. 1 game averages at about 6 GB, so 600/6=100 games or 91 games and the OS with the virtual memory on a second drive! You may also want to install certain applications on the raptor to help with processing Video or Audio and compiling code and Db, Steam etc, so take that into consideration also!

But as you say, your budget is an issue, maybe just go for 8GB (2x4GB) of ram and a standard DVD-CD writer? You can always upgrade later on when more money becomes available!

Good airflow in the case is also advisable, fan at the front and back is good and if possible at the top also, front fan is an intake, back and top fans are exhaust. Case fans are more about moving heat out of the case and less about blowing cool air!
                        Last edited by MrMojay; 03-27-2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

There was a day when the Raptors ruled but for the cost of a Raptor now there are SSD's that offer enough capacity for OS and a handful of principal games and the prices keep getting better. I have systems set up from 600watt to 1000 and the PSU you've selected is more than adequate for your system unless you intend to SLI at some point in the future. The MSI brand I've not owned preferring eVGA, XFX, and Gigabyte but I keep trying to stretch the budget to include a GTX560 overclocked now but its not what I want for the new build.

Yes, the cpu will come with a heatsink and usually they are adequate to the task but the features of this particular cpu are unlocked and easily overclockable and the temptation to do so will be hard to ignore. The H50 and H70 liquid cooling systems are self contained and easily installed and offer excellent protection for the "heart" of your rig.
                          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Hard drive wise, I personally don't like seagate. I used to be a huge seagate fan until I bought their latest series 2 years ago when I found out they switched over to plastic ball bearings instead of metal ones the hard way. My seagate died in less than 3 months so I got an RMA only to find the same thing happened. I would suggest getting 2 samsung spinpoints and then putting them in raid 0 for better performance at a fraction of the cost. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185

I've been running two older spinpoints in raid 0 for two years now with no issues. I get great performance with them.
                            |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                            |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Nice choices Spur. Just to add to what Mr.Mojay and Bronco wrote.

Definitely get the GTX 560 over the 470. Be sure to use MSI Afterburner Beta to set the Auto Fan function to keep your card running smooth and cool. You may also consider the EVGA 560, which has a lifetime warranty and a 90 day step up program (within 90 days you can "step up" your card to a GTX 570, 580 or whatever new card comes out during that time).

The new AMD X6 CPUs do run cooler than the comparable Intel CPUs, but I agree with the others that you should use an upgraded heatsink. For the price, I recommend the very good COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus. The Corsair H60 is a great cooler as well, but with your case having only one exhaust fan, I wouldn't recommend it.

I know you said you'd like to keep your current case, but you may want to consider one with better cooling. Think about it, you're going to spend over a $1000 on new high performance hardware, so getting a new case that will compliment these parts is important. Proper design that will be functional and above all have efficient cooling is a must for a case today. With your new setup a mid tower will do and there are plenty at a reasonable price. The main things are the fan layout options, nothing smaller than 120mm fans, and hard drive compatibility. These three all have options of 120mm front fan, 2x 120mm side fans and even 2 fans on the top - which as heat rises will pull the hot air out of the top of the case. These cases will allow to cool the motherboard, CPU, GPU, hard drives and other parts by adding different fan configurations. You can even use the Corsair H60, H70 or other water cooling kits should you feel the need later on. The Zalman Z9 has a lot of neat features as does the Thermaltake. I used the NZXT last summer for a similar build for a relative and it worked out well. Just be sure to get the extra fans as needed.

As far as Hard Drives, it's generally not a good idea to have just one big one. If it crashes you can loose all your data. The 2TB drive you picked is actually more ideal as a second drive for storage. The trend today is to have a smaller, faster HD for your OS, and then a larger drive for storage and back ups. Say for example a SSD drive for Win 7, and a 1TB drive for games, pictures, music, movies etc. Since SSD drives are still pricey, you could get two 1TB drives like the WD "Black" series and have one for your OS and the other for storage and back ups. If you later find you need more space, then you can simply add more... There are a lot of options including VRaptors and Raid as well. On one PC, I have the 300GB VRaptor as my Win 7 drive, which has more than enough room for the OS, Apps. and games, and 2x 2TB F4 drives in RAID1 for storage. Weigh the options and see what's best for you.

Take your time, research and above all, have fun with your build!

-Z

Edit: socomseal posted just before I submitted, and his Samsung F3 example is a good option as well. Still like to have a backup if Raid0 fails, but you could use one of your current drives for that.

:icon_frow
                              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X