Build advice for iracing.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build advice for iracing.com

I am looking in to a budget build for someone for the game on this website. I have looked around a bit and it looks like a quad core could help, but I have a feeling this game might be a little WOWish and not really need all the bells and whistles. The guy has been ripped off by a few people and the only thing decent he has is a 3870. I am hoping someone here has some experience with it and can guide me in what I need to make sure this guy gets a decent system for his money. Thanks.

Re: Build advice for iracing.com

Need more info ? 1st how much are you willing to spend? 2nd what OS are you planning on running? 3rd do you have a brand pref. (ex. intel ati) 4th are there any other parts you plan on using ex. case or power supply, or is it from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by _BuB_ View Post
      Need more info ? 1st how much are you willing to spend? 2nd what OS are you planning on running? 3rd do you have a brand pref. (ex. intel ati) 4th are there any other parts you plan on using ex. case or power supply, or is it from scratch?
      Sorry, I guess I should have made my post a little more clear. I have a good amount of experience in building so I was just looking for someone who has experience with the game so I know if a dual core is just as good as a quad core for this game like it is with BF2 or if the graphics card is the most important to the build for someone playing this game. I hope that clears things up a bit.

Comment

Well Gator, according to the iRacing.com site they list the following:

System Requirements

Computer

* Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
        * Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
        * 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better) graphics adapter recommended
        * 1 GB system RAM
        * 3Gb free hard disk space
        * Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Controller

* Steering wheel, analog gamepad, or joystick.

Internet Browser Requirements

* Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 7, Google Chrome 2.0 or newer
        * Javascript enabled
        * Cookies enabled
        * Flash Player

Pretty basic PC... about 4+ years ago specs. Your friend's 3870, while low end for today's newer engine games, should run the racing game fine as it's above the minimum spec requirement. I'd prefer an ATI 5 series (HD 5670 or 5770) or Nvidia 4 or 5 series (GTX450/460 or GTX550) for a small budget, yet more powerful GPU architecture. Plus those will allow him to play other newer titles as well.

Has he tried to play the game with what he has now?

If so, can you describe what problems he is having?

What pc specs and monitor size/resolution does he have now?

Budget?

You can throw together a new entry level PC for fairly cheap given the game's low system requirements. His monitor size and resolution is one key factor that will determine his GPU needs. Higher resolution, like 1900x1080, may require a little better GPU than the 3870 he has now. BTW, is that a AMD/ATI onboard (built into the motherboard) GPU or is it a stand alone card?

-Zip

:icon_frow
        |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
        sigpic

Comment

Zippy,
          It is a stand alone card. The guy was sold a piece of poo poo computer by someone on craigslist and his first symptom of what I am convinced is going to be a long list of issues is his onboard lan has failed. He is trying to run that card on a no-name 350 watt power supply while powering a 52 inch Sharp LCD. He wants to keep it in the $300 range so that is why I am trying to figure out if a dual core while do or if quad core would be a big jump in performance or if I would be better served spending the money on a better graphics card like the 5770.

Comment

Originally posted by gator skywalker View Post
            He is trying to run that card on a no-name 350 watt power supply while powering a 52 inch Sharp LCD.
            350W PSU might not be cutting it (your description of "no-name" does not bode well for its actual performance), though I can't say for sure without an actual parts list (basically, I would say it's JUST on the line of being able to power the system, depending on what else is in there).

As for the television, the actual physical size doesn't really matter--it's the resolution that counts. If it's a 1080p screen (likely, given the size of the TV, though cheapness/age could easily reduce its output), the resolution is 1920x1080. That's a lot to be asking of the card but it might be able to render the game at a playable level. I can't really say for sure but with tweaking, it should be...passable.

Comment

I'm running it on an old 775 socket XFX 78i SLI MOBO with a Quad core QX9650 and this game runs smooth with 8M DDR2 800 Memory.
              "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
              "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...