Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Android Tablets - Should I bite now or wait?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Tablets - Should I bite now or wait?

After playing around with a friends new iPad for an extended period of time, I finally found the desire for a tablet. I actually really enjoyed using it on the couch for simple tasks. It's FAR from a replacement for a computer, and I don't think anybody is really pretending it is, but for those times you want to play a quick game, or look up something real quick on the internet, it's a pretty nice experience being able to do so without having to boot up a computer or using the small screen on your phone.

Everyone was right, it's basically in iPhone...only bigger, but I've learned that's actually a good thing for it's intended purpose. I also learned that I definitely do NOT want one in Apple form, for all the reasons you can probably imagine.

I've decided I want an Android tablet, for all the flexibility that Android provides. I saw the Motorola Xoom at Costco today for $589, and it was REALLY nice, but I had to walk away since that would have been an impulse buy, and $589 still seems kind of steep for a device that I'm not going to be using THAT much. However, I'm still a bit tempted.

One of the things that's kept me from buying one thus far, is how there are so many competitors coming out this year...the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and offerings from LG, ASUS, and more. I've been quite impressed with Androids latest iteration, "Honeycomb," and definitely want that. I think I'm also sticking to my guns about wanting a dual-core processor and a gig of ram. I know it may seem excessive, but after seeing the power apps started needing AFTER I bought my HTC myTouch, I want to future-proof it at least for a little while. My MyTouch can't even run Angry Birds. It was great when I bought it, but phones have come a long way since, and mine just can't hang anymore.

What are your thoughts on this years tablets? Should I just bite the bullet now on the Xoom, or should I wait to see what else is coming out this year?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: Android Tablets - Should I bite now or wait?

Wait on the Droids. They are just not where they need to be yet.
    Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Ignoring my disdain for everything Apple which I will not get into, I would say that if you really want to get into the tablet market, you might consider looking at Asus's offering.

Comment

Wow..Woot Just had a deal on a Viewsonic GTAB the other day for $279.. Which is like $100 off what it usually is.. I have one.. If you like gaining Root on your Android phone and messing with Roms.. then this is a great tab to play with.. Lots of Development going on with it... Tegra chipset..etc.. A bit heavier that the zoom.. Someday we may have Honeycomb.. Someday... But it's a good toy to mess with.. Again.. tablets are TOYS.. ;-)
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Here's what I did, yesterday as a matter of fact. I bought the poor mans tablet, well sort of. I bought a Velocity Micro Cruz Reader at Comp USA for $119.00 - because I'm cheap, but wanted a e-reader with some tablet functionality.

First of all, this device has many drawbacks, but for the price, who's complaining.

It has the Adroid 2.0 OS, wi-fi, email, and web browser. It also displays pictures and plays music and videos, but has a full color book reader which is nice. You don't have access to the Android market, unless you want to root the device. Instead you have the Cruz market for apps, but it's extremely limited and basically sucks.

Anyway, I got exactly want I wanted without the absorbent price or cell phone company data packages and contracts. It does exactly want I need: read books, surf the net, and check email. All from the comfort of my couch without toting my rather large, and very hot, laptop around. It's the perfect size for sitting in the living room and doing whatever.
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834102006
            I used this one at B&H to see how it worked and I was impressed. It's pretty smooth and not to heavy. Good price for the screen and runs the newest android OS.

- -

Comment

Dang. In retrospect, I shoulda jumped on that Viewsonic on woot when I saw it. I would have rooted it right away. I decided to hold off, though. With all the new tablets right around the corner, I think I'm going to hold off. Those new Asus tablets (linked above) look pretty nice! With a $499 pricepoint on some of the upcoming honeycomb tablets, I'm sure we'll see a price drop from Motorola to the tune of $100-200 by the end of the Summer. My main thing now, is I decided I absolutely don't want one with a contract. Wi-fi only is great, but it would be nice if we could get an LTE capable tablet under $500 contract-free. Not the most important feature to me, though. Wi-fi only is just fine. Especially if I get a new phone that I can use as a hotspot.

Comment

My mother-in-law has the T301 from Micro Cruz..from everything I could find online, they are "dead"..they will not be capable of upgrading to new Androd OS..

That being said, it was way better than I thought it would be..and now they are only $159.

I think I would get the T103 since it has a capacitive screen like an Ipad, and I know that as limited as it is, it would do all I need it to do..as far as tablet features go.

The Xoom looks awesome..but WOW..$600..? I can buy a plenty nice laptop for that!

I am hoping a firiend will sell me his first-gen Ipad for cheap when he decides to get then new one..:)

That is the only way I will ever have one..no way are any of these things worth that much money...but that is just my $.02 worth..

After playing with the Cruz, I would not mind one of those at all..soon, someone will probably figure out how to hack the things and make them a LOT better..:)

Comment

Loving My samsung galaxy tablet......
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

So glad I waited. Fleets of Honeycomb tablets are coming out soon. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on either the Asus EEE Pad Transformer, or the Acer Iconia Tab A500...
                    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/and...om-light/16730
                    http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/
                    I just want to play with both in person first before making a decision. Hope I can actually locate some demos in town. The Acer's out already, and the Asus comes out this week.

Comment

The Transformer is actually been out in the US for about a week now. They are also so popular that they became sold out only 8 hours after release. I don't think anyone who carried a Transformer even has any in stock now. So if you're set on getting the ASUS, you'll have to wait a few months.

The Iconia is pretty nice considering the price tag.

I, myself, have looked at these things for a few years now. I'm not really sold on the high price of the big names, hence why I've been mainly staring on the big Chinese branded android tablets. I've been around to places such as: AllPMP, MP4 Nation, and Ownta. MP4 Nation I've actually bought a PMP from and they offer two capacitive touchscreen tablets for around $200 each. I'd probably go for one of those when I get a job in a few months. Love the features and the fact that it's at least Froyo 2.2 if not Honeycomb later.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Went to Best Buy today. They said they never even received first shipments of the Transformer. Looks like Asus seriously underestimated their demand. That, or they're pulling a Nintendo, a la Wii, and kept initial supplies low to ramp up hype, thus demand.

I did get a chance to play with the Acer, though, and was very impressed. I really liked the brushed aluminum backing, the screen was beautiful, and it was extremely responsive. They had one of those stupid huge clunky bungie alarms strapped to the back, though, so I couldn't truly get a feel for how much it weighed or how comfortable it SHOULD be to hold. I would have bought one if the Transformer wasn't floating out there somewhere. I'm thinking I really want that docking keyboard accessory. Mega battery life ftw!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X