No announcement yet.

Overclocking for the 1st time

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking for the 1st time

I've got an i5 750 at stock speed, and I'm planning to overclock it. This is going to be my first overclocking experience. It's a pretty intimidating task, since I'm somewhat worried about anything that can go wrong.

I plan on following either of these 2 guides:
    Before I jump, does anyone have advice or tips they'd like to share?

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 (stock speed)
    Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
    CPU Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo
    Memory: 4GB DDR3-1333
    PSU: Corsair HX 850
    GPU: MSI Radeon 5870 1GB
    Last edited by Pvt Brokeback; 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM. Reason: Links fixed

Re: Overclocking for the 1st time

Those are duplicate links?

Anyways I took a glance at the guide you linked and I can already tell you that it's probably way more in-depth than what you actually need to know. That certainly doesn't hurt, but just thought you should know.

Your guide will cover the details, but these are general tips:

1. Be patient, don't try to reach for huge overclocks in a hurry. You should be overclocking in careful increments until you find a sweet spot of stability, high clock frequency and reasonable temps/core voltage.

2. Your mileage may vary. Just because some guy on an internet forum named "1337 0vercl0cker ftw" can get 4GHz on the same CPU/motherboard/cooler as you doesn't mean you will necessarily reach the same results.

3. Make sure you have a decent CPU cooler

4. Understand the limits of your hardware. For every CPU there are widely known safe ranges of CPU frequency, CPU core voltage and CPU temps. For example, it is widely known for my Core i7 920 that these processors can generally overclock up to 3.5 - 4GHz or so, can safely handle core voltages up to 1.35v or so, and can handle CPU temps at load up to 80C or so. Knowing these numbers gives you a ballpark to shoot for and a ceiling to stay under.

5. Test your overclocks for stability with a combination of methods such as playing games, running Prime95, and other software.

6. As you adjust your BCLK, your memory frequency will also start to go up. Use the memory dividers in the BIOS settings to try to keep your memory frequency close to stock frequency even if it means underclocking it. If you overclock your CPU and memory at the same time, you'll have a harder time pinpointing which component is failing when your overclock is unstable. Plus, overclocked memory gives you basically zero benefit.
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Re: Overclocking for the 1st time

Fixed the 1st link

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed