quick video card question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick video card question

I have this card, and am looking at this card. I havent upgraded anything in a long time so Im feeling a bit rusty. I'm just looking for conformation that the upgrade will be a good sized bump, especially at the price.

also, thinking about getting a 4th gig of ram. is going from 3 to 4 for under 20 dollars worth it? Im assuming yes.

thanks guys.

Re: quick video card question

If you could spring for a Radeon HD 6850 for an extra 30 bucks, you could get even better performance for your money
    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

the one I listed has a $20 mail in rebate (which will pay for my ram), so for the price this one seems to be a good deal....

thanks again

Comment

Toms hardware has made graphics upgrade easy as pie. Look at their most recent monthly "best cards for the money"article. On (or near) the last page of each article, they have a hierarchy table. They say unless your upgrade moves you up at least three tiers, you may not notice a significant enough improvement to justify the cost.

Hope that helps!

[Spartan 9]

Comment

4 tiers... score!

thanks Balfa... super helpful :)

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
            If you could spring for a Radeon HD 6850 for an extra 30 bucks, you could get even better performance for your money
            This.

The extra $30 or so going to a 6850 will yield better results than going from a 5770 with an extra gig of RAM. Just save some cash until you can afford another stick. A 6850 is a better investment in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
              This.

The extra $30 or so going to a 6850 will yield better results than going from a 5770 with an extra gig of RAM. Just save some cash until you can afford another stick. A 6850 is a better investment in the long run.
              I was going to say the same thing. As much of a boost the HD5770 might be over the HD3870, it's not huge. However the HD6850 would be a huge leap forward compared to your HD5770.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Knowing system specs, screen resolution, and games you want to play would help with a more complete answer.
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

I agree with Voodoo (159.95 after rebate) and the memory will help as well. I just moved from a 9800GTX+ to a GTX460 and got a sizable bump and this is a larger move than the one I made even if you end up with the 5770.
                  Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Another question... what's the rest of your specs? If you've got an older processor and plan to upgrade sometime in the near future, I guess getting a good card like the 6850 has limited benefits. Then again, if you're spending that much on the 5770, you might as well spend the extra $30 and get the 6850.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178133
                      http://www.diamondmm.com/3870PE4512.php
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...watts%20ea-500
                      http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=30784
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-030-_-Product

cpu: core 2 duo dual core 2.66
                      ram: 3 gig ddr2
                      mb: ip35 pro
                      video: 3870
                      res:1680x1050/1280x1024 dual monitors

really I just need a new computer, but thats not going to happen soon. maybe I will just save up for the better gfx card...

Comment

With that info any of the cards suggested would make good matches. I wouldn't worry about the extra system memory.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Certain 6850's can also be unlocked to a 6870 I believe at a pretty high success rate. There's a lot of articles on it. Also, with your dual core any current generation gpu's are going to be slightly bottlenecked by your processor.
                          A.E.K.Δ.B.

Comment

Newegg has an additional rebate on the card I linked - 139.95 after rebate. Also, the NICE thing about that cpu is it's easily overclocked to over 3.0 and that would gain a pleasant boost in overall system performance (should be stable at around 3.4 although I know of higher settings). Since most of the games truly don't take advantage of the total cores available this would "buy" you some time with your comp till your ready to rebuild. Ram is cheap and another gig won't hurt , it's just would be another way to tweak the system but is OS dependent (forget it if your still running XP)
                            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I went from a 2900XT (slightly faster than a 3870 due to higher memory bandwidth) to a 5770 and it was a huge increase.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X