The Commie is back!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Commie is back!

Yes, to all of us older (and maybe some of the younger) computer enthusiasts, the Commodore 64 is back! Link

sigpic

Re: The Commie is back!

Not these keyboard computers again. They've been around for years. I've considered on in the past, but often times not going for it since they're very expensive and overheat easily. Now with netbooks out, these things usually are more expensive and have less value than a netbook does.

The only things that look like it might interest me are the flattop desktops that they're promoing (namely the Amiga 1000). Would be a great alternative to my current HTPC setup in a slimmer, sleeker box. It would just be another flattop amongst flattops so it's virtually indistinguishable from the other DVD players and stuff in the cabinet. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I pretty much agree with your assessment regarding the new Commie. I posted about it more for the nostalgic factor, rather than it being innovative in any way. Actually, I posted the link before I went through and looked at the spec's and configuration page.

After looking at that, I must say, I am appalled that they are actually trying to get $250 for just the case/chassis/keyboard and a card reader. The "Basic" package is even more of a joke. $595... for what amounts to a netbook WITHOUT a screen?! Shame on the new Commodore! I had read, a few years back, that Commodore was going to make a resurgence but, as a competitor in the high-end, boutique market to compete with the likes of Alienware. It's unfortunate that they are instead trying to rape their potential customers and the glory that was Commodore.

All in all, I am quite disappointed.

sigpic

Comment

So the new Commodore is just a modern computer in a retro-commodore 64 design? Damn, I was hoping it was going to be original Commodore 64 hardware and OS haha.
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
          So the new Commodore is just a modern computer in a retro-commodore 64 design? Damn, I was hoping it was going to be original Commodore 64 hardware and OS haha.
          Correction, it's a modern netbook without the screen in a retro Commodore 64-ish design. The specs are so low-end, I wouldn't even consider it a "modern" computer.

I'm sure a good number of us would pay for C64 reproductions...that would be pretty cool. :D
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Umm... A netbook is a computer. Moreover, because they are contemporary pieces of technology, they are modern.

The computers shown in the link aren't netbooks anyway, as they're not both lightweight and portable, regardless of internal specifications.

Before you try to correct someone, make sure what you have in mind is correct!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              Umm... A netbook is a computer. Moreover, because they are contemporary pieces of technology, they are modern.

The computers shown in the link aren't netbooks anyway, as they're not both lightweight and portable, regardless of internal specifications.

Before you try to correct someone, make sure what you have in mind is correct!
              *sigh* Read it again. I said I wouldn't consider netbooks as modern (aka my opinion). To me they are basically underpowered chips of years past with a equally underpowered and slightly revised chipset. It's often recognized as low-end computing.

As for my correction, it's still right. It's the hardware of a netbook minus the screen.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

There is a term for a small form factor, low-wattage computer of this type and like 'netbook' it's also a portmanteau: nettop. In particular, 'netbook' is a portmanteau of 'internet' and 'notebook', indicating that it was a term originally designated to mean a computer with a notebook like form factor intended primarily for internet consumption. Likewise, 'nettop' is a portmanteau of 'internet' and 'desktop'. I'll leave it to you as an exercise to figure out the difference. :p

As for whether it's modern or not. It's modern. How powerful the chip is is no indication of whether it's modern or not. Like many other netbooks and nettops these appear to be powered by the Intel Atom. The Atom is not merely a chip of ages past. It's based on a modern manufacturing process. It's far more powerful per amount of power it draws than chips of ages past. It has a modern chip architecture. There's nothing antique about it.

Your standards for whether a computer counts as modern or antique make no sense. It's not as if the terms 'modern' and 'low-end' or more accurately 'low-wattage' are somehow incompatible. Moreover, whether some computer is underpowered or not is relative to what purposes you intend to use it for. There are a number of chips used for cellphones and things like that which are perfectly suitable for their intended purpose, possess far less powerful computing speed than the Atom, and are in no sense not modern. You appear to be a competent speaker of the English language. You ought to know that 'modern' is not synonymous with 'low-end'. You can refer to the dictionary if you're unsure.

You can consider how you wish; you'd just be wrong if you didn't consider netbooks to be modern computers.

Comment

Anyway, it seems pretty cool. You're paying a premium for a vintage look. While I wouldn't do so, there's nothing silly or crazy or abnormal about it. It's done all the time for all kinds of other products: clothes, cars, alarm clocks, etc, etc. People pay premiums for nice looking computer cases quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                    I pretty much agree with your assessment regarding the new Commie. I posted about it more for the nostalgic factor, rather than it being innovative in any way. Actually, I posted the link before I went through and looked at the spec's and configuration page.

After looking at that, I must say, I am appalled that they are actually trying to get $250 for just the case/chassis/keyboard and a card reader. The "Basic" package is even more of a joke. $595... for what amounts to a netbook WITHOUT a screen?! Shame on the new Commodore! I had read, a few years back, that Commodore was going to make a resurgence but, as a competitor in the high-end, boutique market to compete with the likes of Alienware. It's unfortunate that they are instead trying to rape their potential customers and the glory that was Commodore.

All in all, I am quite disappointed.
                    To be fair, the original Commodore 64 was like $600 back in 1982.

Comment

The Amiga 3000 seems quite interesting?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse