upgrading my DDR2 PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading my DDR2 PC

hey guys (first time back in a week, nice looking black TG layout) im looking to upgrade my PC. the thing is i have a mother board that can only use DDR2 RAM. so right now im using DDR2 800 4GB (2x2GB) sticks. (read my sig for more system specs) but the problem is im running windows 7 32bit system. I was thinking of 2 options.

1. buy a AM3 SLI motherboard from newegg for $99 and buy new RAM, a WD black HDD, windows 7 64bit.

2. buy an extra 4GB 800 RAM, WD black HDD, and windows 7, and use a single card solution.

and later on buy a 750w PSU and get SLI whatever card i have in that time. or is DDR2 still good enough till the next gen consoles hit the market?

so should i just upgrade my DDR2 with just 64 windows and the extra 4GB DDR2 RAM and wait it out till 2014? (Microsoft said the next X-box will be coming 2014) or should i just upgrade my system to a DDR3 with a SLI motherboard right now?
    AKA: FoxDelta

My PC.
    Case: NZXT M59,
    ASUS Mother Board M4A77D,
    AMD Phemon II x4 3.2GHz ,
    GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
    DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
    PSU: Crosair 650w
    Res 1920x1080

Re: upgrading my DDR2 PC

Originally posted by acsam View Post
    hey guys (first time back in a week, nice looking black TG layout) im looking to upgrade my PC. the thing is i have a mother board that can only use DDR2 RAM. so right now im using DDR2 800 4GB (2x2GB) sticks. (read my sig for more system specs) but the problem is im running windows 7 32bit system. I was thinking of 2 options.

1. buy a AM3 SLI motherboard from newegg for $99 and buy new RAM, a WD black HDD, windows 7 64bit.

2. buy an extra 4GB 800 RAM, WD black HDD, and windows 7, and use a single card solution.

and later on buy a 750w PSU and get SLI whatever card i have in that time. or is DDR2 still good enough till the next gen consoles hit the market?

so should i just upgrade my DDR2 with just 64 windows and the extra 4GB DDR2 RAM and wait it out till 2014? (Microsoft said the next X-box will be coming 2014) or should i just upgrade my system to a DDR3 with a SLI motherboard right now?
    Funny.... I just bought 8GB (4x2GB) of PC2-6400 memory to replace my 4GB (4x1GB) configuration and two 1TB WDD Blacks today! After installing the new goodies, I installed Windows 7 x64.

I plan on purchasing a new video card soon too. I'm still running an old GeForce 8800GT.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

LMAO really? im thinking of getting 2 WD black HDD too xD.
      so i guess what i should take from what you said is that DDR2 still have life in them for the next 3 or 4 years.

My PC.
      GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
      DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
      Res 1920x1080

Comment

LMAO really? im thinking of getting 2 WD black HDD too xD.
        so i guess what i should take from what you said is that DDR2 still have life in them for the next 3 or 4 years.
        That's what i'm banking on! By the time I switch over to DDR3 I'm sure the prices will be a lot lower. I used to always want to get the fastest stuff possible, but my priorities have changed over the past couple years so I tend to stick with what will do the job and not frustrate me and make me want to snap my motherboard in half. DDR2-800 still works for me!

Comment

sweet then ill just get that upgrade plus 3 years should like a good enough time for this small upgrade.

reason im not sure what to do at first is that i got the newest Gameinformer issue yesterday and i was reading this big article that Unreal Engine 2 in the next few years is going to be upgraded to something BIG! im looking at the pictures and i have to say the graphics upgrade for Unreal 3 looks awesome, in the GDC they demoed the upgraded Unreal 3 engine in a PC set up running 3 GTX 580s and supporting DX-11

they said this is only a demo to show what they can do with unreal 3 and with DX-11. they said the more they work on it they are hopping with updates and patches they can get it to run only on one high end GPU, and they are hopping when the next consoles come out they can run the everything on a mid-range GPU so that mid range GPU can run everything on very high.

so thats why im not sure what to do. but i was thinking that wont be in a few years so ill be fine with this set up.

My PC.
          GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
          DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
          Res 1920x1080

Comment

From everything I've read memory speed only needs to be fast enough to keep up with the system bus for games. So your memory should work fine until you change processors.
            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I had a DDR2 system and upgraded last month on the cheap
              I did have a reasonable CPU in the Q9550 and a good 700W power supply
              so I bought the motherboard that takes 775 chip (the Q9550) and DDR3 ram, bought 8gb ram and a really good air cooled CPU fan
              so i have gone from 4gb ddr2 to 8gb ddr3 and up to 64 bit windows 7
              with the better fan, I will OC my CPU by about 20% (still due to do that)
              even without that I can play BC2 at full res and details, so i should be set for BF3

so what CPU and PSU do you have ?

Comment

i have a Phenom II x4 3.2GHZ CPU and a Corsairs 650w PSU. do you guys think my PSU is good enough to run 2 GTX 570? my PSu support one 12V [email protected] and only has 2x6 to 8 PCI-E power connectors

My PC.
                GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                Res 1920x1080

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                  so i have gone from 4gb ddr2 to 8gb ddr3 and up to 64 bit windows 7
                  Did you happen to benchmark your system in games like BC2 before and after the upgrade? I'm really curious if people are getting tangible performance benefits going from 4GB of memory to 8GB in current games. Every time this subject gets brought up, people come out of the woodwork insisting that this is a necessary upgrade for everybody and they typically cite usage scenarios that aren't representative of what most people do such as photoshopping huge images, video editing/encoding or running three virtual machines. I have my doubts and I would love to know the truth.

i have a Phenom II x4 3.2GHZ CPU and a Corsairs 650w PSU. do you guys think my PSU is good enough to run 2 GTX 570? my PSu support one 12V [email protected] and only has 2x6 to 8 PCI-E power connectors
                  If I had to bet, I would say 650W is not enough for two GTX 570's.

If upgrading to DDR3 ram was a simple matter of going out and buying the new ram and sticking it in your old motherboard, I would say why not, go for it. But the fact that you would have to buy a new motherboard on top of an 8GB set of memory and Windows 7 64bit means that its totally not worth it. That's a $300 upgrade minimum for what would be a minor improvement in your games. For $300 you would do a lot better to save that money for a platform upgrade (new cpu, motherboard, ram) down the road when you really feel your computer is holding you back.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I went to 8GB for a variety of reasons, but gaming really wasn't one of them. 4GB should be enough for gaming and I wouldn't expect a massive improvement going to 8GB, but it's a pretty big jump for some of my graphic/video stuff I do for home.

Comment

OK so I got home from work early today and decided to scratch my own itch. I realized how easy it would be for me to test the difference RAM makes in a game like BC2 so I ran some quick benchmarks. For reference, this is my current system:

Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
                      12 GB DDR3-1600
                      GeForce GTX 580

Resolution 1920x1200
                      Bad Company 2 in-game settings were all set to High, HBAO on, 4x AA, 8x AF

I set FRAPs to benchmark my min/max/avg framerate over the course of 5 minutes. I ran it twice on each configuration (12GB versus 4GB). Since I was playing the game on a multiplayer server the results were obviously not perfectly repeatable, but I did my best to make sure the conditions were similar. I played each 5 minute loop on a 24/7 Arica Harbor server with 32 total players.

12GB (3 x 4GB)

1st Set: 91.8 average, 130 max, 57 min
                      2nd Set: 89.6 average, 130 max, 65 min

basically 90 fps. Now keep in mind I'm running on an x58 chipset which uses a triple channel memory controller. At 12GB I am using all three channels (3 dimms). At 4GB I am only using one channel of memory bandwidth (1 dimm) which in theory would cripple the memory throughput of my computer.

4GB (1 x 4GB)

1st Set: 88.7 average, 125 max, 63 min
                      2nd Set: 88.0 average, 126 max, 65 min

so let's say 88 fps. Surprising right? I lost about 2 frames per second off my average which was totally imperceivable during my play because 1. nobody can tell the difference between 2 fps, and 2. my minimum framerate never fell below 60fps which is the most my monitor can even display at 60hz refresh rate. Also, 2fps falls within a 3% margin of error for these tests so yea, it is an inconsequential difference.

Granted, I wasn't running itunes, photoshop or anything else in the background, but frankly you should close that stuff before you load your game up anyways. I know this doesn't tell the full picture. Maybe other games like ARMA will benefit more from the additional ram. But Bad Company 2 is still a fairly modern, demanding game and I think these results speak volumes for what extra RAM does or doesn't do for you.
                      "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

ok so let me askt his. with out the extra RAm should i just buy 2 WD black HDD and get windows 7 64bit to fully use all 4 GB of RAM?

My PC.
                        GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                        DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                        Res 1920x1080

Comment

The way I perceive it is
                          faster DDR3 ram does improve gaming over ddr2 speeds, I can now play GTA4, while before my DDR2 ram could not cope with loading sections of the map fast and created lag
                          over 4gb does not necessarily make a difference for gaming, however 32 bit OS takes 1gb while idle while 64 OS takes 2 gb while idle, I am not sure of implication of this

Comment

How much RAM Windows allocates to it's own processes stop mattering after 2 GBs of RAM. It will still take up about 600-800 MBs (assuming you have no other programs running in the background).

As for which option you should go with ascam, I honestly would go for Option #2. I was basically in the same boat as you last year. I ended weighing everything out and no matter what, it was cheaper for me to: buy a Q9550, aftermarket cooler, another 2x2GB of DDR2 800 RAM, a new video. Buying a new board meant: new CPU and new RAM (and even more money on this to get 8 GBs).

95% of the time, you'd probably never cross over 4 GBs of RAM usage, but if you plan on using your rig for more demanding programs (thinking modeling, animation, video production, sound production software), then the extra 4 GBs comes in handy. If your most demanding apps are games, I wouldn't even bother buying more RAM. It's just not worth it unless you use more than 4 GBs.

Originally posted by Apophis
                            I went to 8GB for a variety of reasons, but gaming really wasn't one of them. 4GB should be enough for gaming and I wouldn't expect a massive improvement going to 8GB, but it's a pretty big jump for some of my graphic/video stuff I do for home.
                            Exactly the reason I moved from 4 GBs to 8 GBs.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

well ok that make sense thanks :D.

but do you think getting just the 2 WD Black HDD and moving from Windows 7 32bit to Windows 64bit is a good thing to do?

My PC.
                              GTX 570 1.2GB 320bit,
                              DDR2 800 4GB RAM,
                              Res 1920x1080

Comment

Connect

Collapse