Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new phone, help me pick one out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new phone, help me pick one out?

Okay, so here's the deal. My Droid (original) is starting to kick the bucket. I am a Verizon customer and am happy with them. I'd really love to stick with Android also. I was waiting on the Droid Bionic, but rumors are swirling that it is canceled. Here is what I'm considering:

HTC Thunderbolt
    Looks like a nice phone, a bit big. I heard battery life isn't the greatest. If that's true, it's a killer for me.

Motorola Droid X
    Looks all around good.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? Or should I wait for something on the horizon?

Re: I need a new phone, help me pick one out?

Between those two phones I would definitely get the Thunderbolt. I think it's the 4G that eats up the battery life on that phone so perhaps only turn it on when you need it. My incredible lasts more then a day.

If you don't have a wireless carrier yet then the phone I would purchase is the HTC EVO 3D with Sprint when it becomes available. I wish Verizon had this phone and I prey they get it's equivalent.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by troublesome4u; 04-17-2011, 03:27 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

My cousin has the Thunderbolt and the stories of poor battery life are true. There also isn't any way to turn 4G off without rooting from what I understand. It's a great phone but you need to be near a plug if you want to use it for any period of time.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the poor battery life of my Captivate.

Comment

Well I use the HTC Evo with Sprint but as you said your not going to change I recommend anything close to that on the verizon network. The battery life is a tad short though with heavy use, so it may not be your cup of tea.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

I'd wait a bit...
            http://androidandme.com/2011/03/carr...ndroid-phones/
            Verizon has some seriously sweet phones on the horizon. Personally, I'm with T-Mobile, and am considering buying the new G2X. They have some REALLY good deals on plans right now. $80/month for unlimited everything. I somehow managed to swoop in last week, and snagged a $60/month unlimited plan.
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I'de go for the samsung galaxy s 2 when it comes out. Why? because I have the first samsung galasxy s and its amazing. fast, dsn't freeze up a bit and battery life is fairly good for a smartphone. it can go 4-6 hours using wi-fi and playing games continuously(will probably be better in the new version).

Oh and it has a DUAL CORE processor! major win if u ask me. here are the specs for the new one:http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ification.html

Comment

I have the Thunderbolt after having the Droid for the duration.. The Thunderbolt does chew up battery but I haven't had an issue with usage.. I turn off the Wifi when there isn't any and I kill the GPS when I don't need it.. Simple things like that.. Plus I have a car charger if needed.. So it's not too terrible. The phone itself is great (FAST..and you will learn to like the HTC sence over the Droid 1 .. very polished interface.. Plus the Thunderbolt is rooted at this point and all is in Play for the phone. I am afraid of Moto's locked Kernel and the lack of Samsungs responsiveness in some of thier technical issues with the Fascinate (AKA the GPS problems..) .. But for not the Thunberbolt is a Great phone..
                As for the Droid X..If you could get a cheap one off of contract..that would get you through this year..and you would be happy with that... I just wouldn't buy that on contact.. OLD TECH..
                |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                  As for the Droid X..If you could get a cheap one off of contract..that would get you through this year..and you would be happy with that... I just wouldn't buy that on contact.. OLD TECH..
                  That's pretty good advice. I've seen some good deals on them here and there.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

As a high school student and a pretty heavy user, I don't always have a plug. No Thunderbolt for me.

As for getting a Droid X of contract, I'd really rather wait and just get a new device that I know will last a while (I tend to hang on to my phones for 1.5-2 years).

I won't be switching from Verizon; I'm on a family plan and my family has no want to switch things around.

From that article, it looks like there is a lot on the horizon to look forward too. The Droid X 2 looks excellent.

Comment

A Samsung Galaxy S II looks amazing :-)
                      sigpic

Comment

I would hold off until the bionic hits myself. First, it is from Motorola - which is closer to enterprise class build quality, and they tent to not drown the UI with pretty like samsung and HTC.

Having said that, it is very easy to make Motorola look and act exactly like HTC. my Driod X in indistinguishable without very close inspection.

I would suggest avoiding samsung like the plague. I have had two different phones - an omnia I and a Fascinate - both burn out the phone radio. VERY odd and troubling behavior. I thought at first the Omnia was B/C I installed a custom rom, but after the Fascinate did it within weeks, I now believe this to be manufacturing related. Also, the TouchWiz UI on Samsung is HORRIBLE. it is over done and lags / stutters constantly. HTC is WAY better in this regard, and Motoroloa barely has any UI enhancements.

My vote is for bionic because I have read dozens of reviews on the bionic / thunderbolt. The bionic is reported to be getting it's ATT cousin's (Atrix 4G) laptop dock. Worth it all by itself. the higher resolution screen, more installed onboard flash, and much bigger battery make it worth waiting for. the down side is you lose some ram, and some resolution on the front facing camera - the camera I truly do not mind... the ram kinda sucks. - especially if it will really be getting the dock like the Atrix. I do not know how they will handle that. The Atrix has 512 dedicated to each OS (the phone OS and the dock OS are apparently separate)

As a stand alone phone, 512 of ram is plenty as android has a very hard time using all of that at one time, since it will manage programs in the background automatically.

Long post for this: wait for the bionic.

In conclusion, the end.
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

every few days is there a published phone models on the market. should have a lot of money to be able to pursue all kinds of nice phone
                          ---------------------------------------
                          friv friv 2 friv friv y8 juegos friv

Comment

I would go with the iphone4. Next in line would be a win7 phone. After that would be a droid.

Comment

I really don't want an iPhone or a Win7 phone. Perfectly happy with my Android operating system.

Btw, I'm still hanging on to my original Droid for the time being.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X