Help needed: TS3 wizards apply within [re: squad channels]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed: TS3 wizards apply within [re: squad channels]

As many of you may know, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 doesn't have native VOIP. Instead we use TS3 for voice-comms. Recently we found TS3/BC2 plugin that can automatically identify players on both servers [BC2 and TS3] and move them to the appropriate TS3 squad or team channel!

There isn't much value in this plugin if we only use team-wide channels [it's easy enough to get in the right team's channel on one's own], but it could potentially be of GREAT value if we could use squad sub-channels! True squad-only VOIP! Switch teams or squads at will, and know you'll end up in the right TS3 channel automatically!? Yes please!

There is one major snag, and we need your help with it: Squad-only VOIP isn't enough on it's own - we also need the ability to broadcast team-wide. So, before we can test any sort of squad-based VOIP solution, we need a way to talk to everyone in 'sibling' squad channels... or everyone in a parent channel.

Team1
    |- Sq. Alpha
    |- Sq. Bravo
    '- Sq. Charlie

Team2
    |- Sq. Alpha
    |- Sq. Bravo
    '- Sq. Charlie

Thanks!!
    - Everyone that plays BC2
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 04-18-2011, 11:39 AM.

Re: Help needed: TS3 users apply within [re: squad channels]

The best solution i can think of is 2 whipser lists, one for each team, with whipser to multiple channels (see pic)

Comment

Re: Help needed: TS3 users apply within [re: squad channels]

IIRC, squad based channels was the primary plan, while using whisper list functionality as a substitute for team-wide comms.

There are multiple ways to implement this:
      • If alt-tabbing out of game is NOT an issue, simple join the game, find out what team you are on (1 or 2), and create a whisper list that consists of all 4 squad sub-channels of that team. This takes less than a minute to do.
      • If alt-tabbing results in some error, then the best solution would be to map 2 different buttons for the team-wide whisper list. This is not ideal, since you have to remember which button is for your corresponding team. Pressing the wrong button basically transmits info to the enemy team.

I have a couple of questions about this new plugin:
      • When is it being implemented, if not already?
      • So what happens when you're in TS, and you join the server? Are you automatically transferred to the corresponding squad?
      • There are currently 6 squads in BC2, but only 4 squad channels in TS. What happens when more than 4 squads are formed? How does the plugin know what squad channel maps to which squad?

Edit: Looks like you can disregard my 3rd question. Silver's screenshot shows that a channel was created for all squads.

Comment

Re: Help needed: TS3 wizards apply within [re: squad channels]

1) The whole point is to have a solution that doesn't require alt-tabbing and changing options/settings every time you want to play. IMO, that's just not going to catch on. The ideal solution gives us one PTT button for your current squad, and another button that talks to your entire team... Think squad-voip and SL-to-CO voip in other BF series. The buttons should always work - regardless of team or squad.

2) This past weekend we got the plugin fully integrated, tested and functional - however, it's disabled until we can work this out. There isn't much point if we don't use squad-subchannels.

3) The plugin runs in the BC2 Admin tool called Procon. It queryies the TS3 user-list, and then compares that to the player-list on the given BC2 server. When it finds a name match [to within a tunable threshold], it moves the TS3-user to the appropriate BC2 sub-channel... be it team or squad.

Comment

The whisper to channel would require setting up and then work on an ongoing basic
          but you require 2 buttons, one for each team and to know which button to press for the team you are on, if someone is whispering to the wrong team its a mess up because they will just continue to whipser to the wrong team and it gets silly

Comment

I can't download TS3 at work, is Whisper to group > Channel Family an option?

I think that would cover our needs if it's there in TS3.

Comment

hmmmmm

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...520#post239520

Comment

Hmm, not quite the same, TS2 whisper

Channel family - this is a wierd one, when you are in the parent channel, it talks to all the sub channels but not the channel you are in; when you are in a sub channel, it talks to the parent channel and all sub channels;

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
                  Hmm, not quite the same, TS2 whisper
                  From my post above, it sounds like it exists in TS3 - but I don't see where.

Comment

Its difficult because we have different teams and you might get switched. The TS developers reckons whisper lists are enough for most uses. It could be solved with connecting multiple times with the client, clones. Then you could be in two channels at once. But youd still need to tab to the correct clone which is difficult without seeing the TS-client.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...381#post218381

My question is this, why do we need to talk to the whole team if we have squad-based comms? I think it will end in everyone talking to the whole team even though we have the plugin setup.
                    sigpic

Comment

You can run two connections in separate tabs in one instance, and set up a hotkey to switch between the tabs and activate the mic.

That'd still require the BC2/TS plugin to place one connection in the team channel and one connection in the squad channel... If it can do that, the actual talking can be solved. But it might be getting too complicated.

(FWIW I'd settle for squad VOIP and use text chat for inter-squad coordination if needed.)

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
                        Its difficult because we have different teams and you might get switched. The TS developers reckons whisper lists are enough for most uses. It could be solved with connecting multiple times with the client, clones. Then you could be in two channels at once. But youd still need to tab to the correct clone which is difficult without seeing the TS-client.

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...381#post218381
                        It seems as if there is a way to whisper to channel family in TS3. This would be what we need, if someone can find it.

My question is this, why do we need to talk to the whole team if we have squad-based comms? I think it will end in everyone talking to the whole team even though we have the plugin setup.
                        I think the goal would be for most comms to be intra-squad. This would let squads start acting like squads, ya know? You could stick together and ask for help or different kits or just generally be more vocal. I think that much of the stuff we verbalize today is only interesting to the players local to you (ideally, your squad). For example, a player all the way on the other side of the map doesn't need to know that you "need ammo", or that there's "still one upstairs", or that you "dropped a medpack by the tank spawn", or that you've "got eyes on the hill", or that you want your squadmates to "hold spawn until I get past the bridge". (In fact, a lot of those things aren't said, because it's not of team-wide interest.)

But, we still need to have team-wide coordination... for when [said to squad] "one contact by the UAV" becomes [said to team] "big push on A - need help!"... or for things like "everyone, hit A first?" or "fast mover headed to C".

I think the primary TS button (which I have on my mouse), would be squad, with a secondary button for the less frequently used team-chat.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                          I think the goal would be for most comms to be intra-squad. This would let squads start acting like squads, ya know? You could stick together and ask for help or different kits or just generally be more vocal. I think that much of the stuff we verbalize today is only interesting to the players local to you (ideally, your squad). For example, a player all the way on the other side of the map doesn't need to know that you "need ammo", or that there's "still one upstairs", or that you "dropped a medpack by the tank spawn", or that you've "got eyes on the hill", or that you want your squadmates to "hold spawn until I get past the bridge". (In fact, a lot of those things aren't said, because it's not of team-wide interest.)
                          Yep, Im all for it. But like Iamthefallen says, we could use ingame textchat for teamwide comms.
                          sigpic

Comment

W6, Tools > Whisper Lists > New
                            Whisper to: Groups
                            Group whisper type/target: ?

Comment

It's pretty much what fallen found. Not sure what the appropriate one we're looking for.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X