• Show
Clear All

• Trouble Deciding on a New GPU

I'm currently using an ATI HD 5750 and my systems specs are as follows,

ASUS P8P67 mobo
    i5 2500K CPU (Quad 3.5k)
    8GB Crucial XMS3 DDR3 memory
    128gig Crucial SSD

I want a great graphics card for my money and one that's going to get me through BF3 when it comes out, I'm leaning toward a GTX 570 or 580 but wanted to get other people's opinions. I don't want to invest in such an expensive card that I can't get something else if I can just hold off for a bit. However, I've been experiencing bad lag and poor response times in BC2 lately and I think it has a lot to do with my current GPU. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Trouble Deciding on a New GPU

Bang for the buck and maintaining your present driver configs, it'd be hard to argue against the 6870 and the money you'd save over a GTX580 would be significant. The GTX 560 Ti would be a very good inexpensive card that will perform admirable.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Important factor with GPU'S is Monitor Resolution (1980x1080, 1600x800, 1280x1024 etc.). What is yours?

Also, what are your PSU specs (Brand, Wattage and +12v Rail Amps)? Impprtant when running higher end hardware.

You have a very nice and fast CPU,Motherboard and SSD combo, so that 5750 could definitely be the weak spot (Bottleneck). Again, depends on your monitor's resolution. Ballpark on your budget?

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

well, heres my favorite, just installed the Gainward Phantom Gtx 570 a week ago, and it delivers an outstanding performance. you have to notice thogh, that it uses
        2 1/2 slots. so if youre looking for a geforce 570, you cant do anything wrong here. It has got a unique custom design that keeps the temperature low and noise level down. for a 570 you need at least 650 Watt PSU.
        http://www.gainward.com/main/

Comment

I have a 750W PC Power and Cooling PSU, here's the link but I'm certain power won't be an issue as the PSU was certified for crossfire. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703009

Once again, thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

Comment

I found a kind of cool graphics card comparison website a few weeks ago, while doing some research for a friend. Most of the comparisons that I have done are "theoretical" in nature where 4 hardware features are compared: Power consumption, Memory Bandwidth, Texel Rate and Pixel rate. There are some comparisons that also include actual benchmark results. Here is a link comparing a 1GB 5750 to a GTX 570.

Might be worth looking into.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with Zippy, it would be helpful to know what monitor resolution you're running at. Between a GTX 570 and 580, you're definitely going to get more value out of a GTX 570 since it is almost $200 cheaper than a 580, but obviously still very fast. If you don't mind playing the waiting game there will be a new round of graphics cards coming out in the summer before BF3 releases.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

How much are you willing to spend?
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Sorry about that, I meant to answer the question about my monitor resolution earlier, it's 1920x1200 and I really enjoy it where it's at but I'm not sure how to tell which cards are better at which resolution. Concerning money, I know GPU's are where the money is at now and I expected as much. I'd like to say in the $250-350 range if possible, but if there's a can't miss card out there I'd probably be willing to spend a bit more. As you can see from my recent purchase of the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU I don't go all out but usually try to get the most bang for my buck expecting to upgrade a bit sooner of course. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Battledragun View Post
                    As you can see from my recent purchase of the i5 2500k Sandy Bridge CPU I don't go all out but usually try to get the most bang for my buck expecting to upgrade a bit sooner of course. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate the feedback.
                    In that case I would definitely recommend going either GeForce GTX 570 or Radeon HD 6970/6950 depending on whether you prefer nvidia or amd. Either choice will drive a 1920x1200 resolution very well and should be capable of playing BF3 well (complete speculation, who really knows haha). If you're not in a hurry you could wait until the next round of cards come out this summer and either buy the newest or save some money on the current generation stuff.
                    "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Your comment about experiencing lag and poor response times recently conversationally implies that you didn't experience such lag and poor response times in the past. Is that true? Was that with the same 5750? Did your setup undergo any other relevant configuration change (higher resolution monitor, increased graphics settings in game, or whatever)? If you didn't experience the lag and poor response times with the 5750 in the past and there hasn't been any relevant change, then I would doubt that it's the graphics card that's at fault. Is there any particular reason you think it's the GPU?

Understanding what's causing the lag and poor response times is important if you want to potentially save money. If it turns out the GPU isn't at fault, then you could wait until BF3 comes out to buy a new card then, saving potentially quite a bit while getting a faster card. Swapping out a possibly perfectly fine card for a card now, which may be mediocre for BF3 down the line, sounds like an expensive gamble of a fix if you aren't certain that's the problem.

P.S. I run a 5770 with a far slower CPU and a mechanical HD and BFBC2 runs perfectly fine for me at 1920x1200 on mostly high settings. So it seems dubious to me that the 5750 is the true cause of irresolvable bad lag and response times.

And there's never a can't miss card. Moore's law, even a conservative version of it, tells us stuff gets faster all the time at a fairly quick pace. There's always something better just around the corner, as far as computer technology is concerned.

Comment

I've been experiencing bad lag and poor response times in BC2 lately and I think it has a lot to do with my current GPU.
                        Sordavie is right. Experiencing lag now as opposed to not experiencing lag in the past pretty much means the card is not at fault. I can tell you firsthand that many of us are experiencing graphical lag from BC2 as of late. Many times, we've CTD. It's not a hardware issue, something's up with the game.

Comment

I started experiencing all my issues after the patch for BC2 but prior to that had no problems. Upgraded everything in my system except the GPU and PSU thinking I would upgrade the GPU in a couple of months. I still experience the response issues which is my primary problem but I've tried just about everything and can't figure out how to fix it. Understand, my issue isn't with the crappy hit boxes that seem to change from game to game on me but the response time in game, i.e., I hit my left mouse button to fire my weapon and there is a significant delay between when I push that button and when my weapon fires, resulting in my death nearly every time I shoot at Voodoo, whether I have the drop on him or not. Really quite frustrating cause he's not that good :P

Comment

That does not sound like a GPU problem. In any case, given that you had no problems before the last patch and before you upgraded other stuff, it's even more unlikely that your GPU is at fault. Upgrading the rest of your components isn't going to make your computer run slower.

I don't know what you've tried or what you count as "just about everything" in fixing the issue. Perhaps you should post a troubleshooting thread for your problems instead. It sounds to me like it's not an issue with your GPU being too slow. Here you describe what sounds to me like input lag of some sort.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade to a newer faster video card now, it's your prerogative. But don't be surprised if the lag and delay issues are still there and if in 6-12 months your card is merely mediocre for BF3.

Comment

resulting in my death nearly every time I shoot at Voodoo, whether I have the drop on him or not. Really quite frustrating cause he's not that good :P
                              You're not alone in that department! I just voluntarily give him my tags now as a peace offering.

As Brokeback and Sordivie mentioned, it may just be a software issue with BC2. I have heard many people say they are experiencing lag on the server, so you're not the only one reporting problems with this game. Do your problems occur on every map, or certain maps? Just out of curiosity, try putting the settings on low and see how it runs. Also, be sure you have the latest drivers - ATI shows 11.3. You may try the ATI/AMD forums as well for more info.

:icon_frow
                              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X