Windows 7 major issue(blue screen)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 major issue(blue screen)

Im trying to fix my cousins pc here. I received a notification about a malware infection and the pc blue screened. i tried starting up in safe mode and still got it. i finally said screw this im restoring to factory settings. and while the pc was doing its initial setup just as it was new, it got the blue screen again.

I tried everything. a new windows costs like 100 euros so I dont want her to have to buy a new one.

Any ideas?

Extra info: Now when i start it up and it goes to do the setup it freezes on the initial setup screen.
    Last edited by Kwalc; 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM.

Re: Windows 7 major issue(blue screen)

Unfortunately, it looks like your only option at this point is going to be to grab a new copy of windows and do a clean install. Something has corrupted the core files to such a point that you cant perform a system restore or anything else. The only thing you can do is format and reinstall. Other than that, you *could* yank the primary HD out of another computer, disconnect the one she has for a bit, put in the other one, boot up, set up a sandbox/quarantine, hook up her hard drive, clean and transfer anything she cant afford to lose data-wise and then format and reinstall.

Bottom line though, a complete wipe is going to be required here at some point to get the rig working again from what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      Unfortunately, it looks like your only option at this point is going to be to grab a new copy of windows and do a clean install. Something has corrupted the core files to such a point that you cant perform a system restore or anything else. The only thing you can do is format and reinstall. Other than that, you *could* yank the primary HD out of another computer, disconnect the one she has for a bit, put in the other one, boot up, set up a sandbox/quarantine, hook up her hard drive, clean and transfer anything she cant afford to lose data-wise and then format and reinstall.

Bottom line though, a complete wipe is going to be required here at some point to get the rig working again from what you're saying.
      yea thought so. it has actually begun installation. but after 10 minutes i think its stuck installing the intel display driver. which is process 4/42 so ill wait a little longer and if it dsnt budge i guess ill have to go buy a new copy

Comment

If this is the copy that came with the system, you should be able to do a full reinstall from the image saved to the ghost/hidden partition on the hard drive. You should get options to reinstall/revert to factory defaults when you put in the Dell OEM Windows disk. Or if there wasn't one supplied, look in the user manual. There should be a specific F key you have to hit during POST to bring up the selection menu.

As for the BSOD, sounds like the generic driver that Windows is trying to install isn't quite compatible and bug-free for your particular Intel graphics chipset. A workaround would be to plug in a basic video card just for the install of Windows, then remove it once the install is complete and install the latest Intel display drivers.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, there have been problems involving a defective or damaged (for lack of a better word) driver involved with starting up your harddrives... A friend had to buy a copy of windows because the driver was damaged when he installed an update...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

would it be possible to put avg on a usb stick then run it on safe mode? or will that not work?

Comment

but off course the virus wont let me install the software even in safe mode.

Comment

on the BSOD write down the number codes for example 0x000000A3
                or something like that
                it may be another issue besides operating systerm. It could be hardware etc

Comment

I found the malware. I downloaded a portable anti-spyware program and put it on a usb stick. Im running the scan now and the culprit is "Trojan.Agent/Gen-SVC[Fake]

Comment

Oh, it's a malware infection. Well I hope you manage to get rid of it, otherwise, it'll probably be a full reformat.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X