Gaming Laptops suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Laptops suggestions?

I'm currently in the market for a laptop that is good enough to play Arma 2 and battlefield 3 at mid level settings. I don't know much about gaming laptops at all so tell me if thats even plausible.

The laptop has to have a wide enough screen(15 inch will do).
    It has to be a good quality piece of hardware, I dont want to be replacing parts after 1 years use.
    It has to be able to run above mentioned games comfortably (if plausible).
    It has to be portable(it is still a notebook and i'll need it for school etc).
    IT has to have atleast 2 hours worth of battery life.
    Price range I'de say around 900 euros or 1300 u.s (I could ask daddy for a couple hundred more if needed, I am a struggling student after-all)

Asking too much? I hope not!
    What are thou suggestions?

also I am fond of alienware. what would be the best bang for my buck, alienware wise?
    Last edited by Kwalc; 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM.

Re: Gaming Laptops suggestions?

Asus G73s-A1
    Just got one, LOVE it

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
    George S. Patton

Comment

Pretty much any ASUS G series laptop should do you fine. The one Redneck posted is phenomenal. I myself play on an ASUS G60Jx, one of the slightly older models. Core i5 2.27 GHz, 4Gigs of DDR3, and a Nvidia GTS360M. Runs Black Ops and Bad Company 2 like a champ, and the GPU runs stable even with some user-end overclocking.

Alienware looks nice on paper but at the end of the day you'd be paying more money than you'd need to for just the little alien head. My friend has an Alienware laptop and he's had the network card, the screen, and the battery replaced within 6 months. Just routine failures. I've experienced none of these with my ASUS.

It needs to be said though that this is a gaming laptop you're looking for. A lot of this will come down to research on your part, as the bigger a machine you get, the better it will handle games (generally) but it will be less portable. And vice versa.

Also, I'd recommend you look into a good cooler for long gaming sessions. I use a Thermaltake Massive23cs and it works wonderfully.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Consider using a laptop for portability and a desktop for gaming if you haven't already. If you have the space for both and gaming on the go isn't a priority for you, it is usually the best of both worlds.

Portability and battery life are on the opposite end of the spectrum from good gaming, you will find your search that much harder.

As far as alienware goes most agree they are over priced, but I would suggest you look at the M14x if you feel the style is worth it. 6lbs is not light but manageable, decent specs for gaming when you want to, and optimus technology allows you to switch to integrated graphics when you aren't to preserve battery life.

I use this site to reference specs of mobile graphics cards:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.41933.0.html
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

But Namebot is right. Very few of us play on laptops for a good reason. You can build a great desktop for a fraction of your budget. You can use the rest for a netbook or budget laptop for class.

You're not going to find a decent gaming laptop that's also portable or good on battery life.

Comment

macbook pro 15" core i7 quad core, 2.2ghz, 4gig ddr3, 128gig ssd, radeon 6750 1gb + intel 3000 with 384MB of DDR3 (dynamic switching), hi-res 1680x1050 screen, up to 7 hr battery life
            that meets the performance / battery life / portability requirements with ease... unless I am missing something.

.....edit, NM, I thought you said 900-1300 euros. adding a few hundred euros would have gotten you there.

as for the fraction of the budget part... they are right. I just built a SLAMMIN' computer for 450... and spent 200 of that on the processor alone. the only thing I was missing was the video card.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

At this point it's really anybody's guess what it will take to run BF3 well, but I would say the most critical component in a gaming laptop is the GPU. You really need to get a high end mobile GPU since you basically can't upgrade anything in a laptop and GPUs get outdated pretty fast.

Like others have mentioned, I'll always point out in threads like this that gaming should really be done on a desktop machine. You get a lot more for what you pay for, your computer doesn't get outdated as fast and you can upgrade anything in a desktop.
              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                You're not going to find a decent gaming laptop that's also portable or good on battery life.
                Its been repeated but sordavie summed it up most effectively.

You'll be better off in the end just building/buying a desktop. Don't get me wrong, many of these laptops can perform like their desktop cousins, but I use my ASUS laptop in the same way as a desktop, so I'm planning to replace it with a full desktop this year sometime. You can probably build a desktop and buy a netbook or tablet for mobile uses and probably spend just as much as a gaming laptop would cost, and then you can upgrade the desktop when needed.

Also, I take it you're in college/university, so if you have space concerns about fitting a desktop on your desk then don't even think about it. My dad was dead certain that I couldn't fit a desktop on my desk at school, but yet I have space for a laptop on a cooler, mousepad, gamepad, a flatscreen monitor, a desk lamp, and books and food when doing serious work on a 23in by 41.5in desk. I could make a desktop fit on this with ease. Unless you get stuck with a desk the size of a nightstand, you'll probably be able to fit a desktop on it.
                Last edited by TheLancerMancer; 04-25-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: grammar

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

OK, My desktop is an I7 975, with 12 gig ram and a 2gig vid card and my g73s is a fine portable version of that for me. Battery life is something you don’t consider when looking at a gamming laptop, you look at power. Look at your planed usage, if you need to work on a laptop for extended periods without a power source handy, look at a lower non-gaming laptop with battery life. But if you’re going to game, and like me do it in several places go for power….

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                  George S. Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X