ram help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ram help

Well I recently purchased a new pack of ram, however not all of my ram is not being detected.

Before: Core i7 920, 3 gig ram (3X1 config), MSI X58 platinum mother board
    purchased: 6 gig pack (3X2 gig)

I put the new sticks into the open slots, and everything started to work fine. After a quick dxdiag check it is only reading 7168mb, and should be at around 9 gig.

Checking in the bios, and SIW, all 6 sticks are being registered. Checking the motherboard manual, all it recommends is having sticks of the same density grouped together, which I do. Motherboard also supports up to 24 gigs.

Quick note: In the middle of trouble shooting, the amount dropped down to 4 gigs. However I corrected this be reseating all 6 strips.

Anyone have any suggestions? If you need any info fell free to ask.

Re: ram help

1. Do you have onboard graphics disabled?

If not, then disable it. Most likely the onboard graphics has about 2 GBs of main memory assigned to it. That would explain why you're only seeing 7 GBs or so of the 9 GBs.

2. Run Memtest86+ on that RAM if the #1 doesn't do anything (or you don't have onboard graphics). It sounds like some of the memory chips on one or more sticks might have gone bad.

If Memtest returns errors, then more than likely, you've got some bad RAM in the mix. RMA for a replacement set.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Not sure if you have tried this but I think the same density ram goes into the same coloured DIMM slots, try the 2 gb sticks in the blue slots and the rest in the black.

Comment

Yea thats the way I have it (or had it.) Right now, they alternate, so 2 gigs are in black (might be blue) and 1's in the other. When I reseated everything think I switched around the colors.

As for acreos suggestion. Either I dont have integrated graphics or it is very tough to find. Saw nothing in the bios or the mobos manual. As for the memtest suggestion, running it right now. Finished one pass, no errors. Doing another right now.

Edit: Black has the 1 gigs blue has the 2 gigs

Comment

dxdiag shows you your total RAM. So whether you have onboard graphics or some other graphics card that utilizes shared memory has nothing to do with it not detecting the amount you ought to have.

Comment

Yea, just say DXdiag since it is another simple quick reference.

Well, I am starting to think there is something wrong with the motherboard. Started having issues with it not even posting. After trying it with just a single stick of ram, it has started up again.

Edit: It would appear to be working. Just posted and reading 9216MB. ONLY way to get it to work would be install, boot up one stick at a time. If I would try putting in 2 or more at a time, it would not boot. Started up 3 times, now. Just hope it is stable and lasts. Thanks all for the quick and timely help.
            Last edited by Hellswaters; 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM.

Comment

it could be bad voltage regulation or capacitors on the motherboard, or undervoltage going to the ram. 2x check that your voltages are right in bios, then run a util in windows to verify that's what you are getting.

another possibility is a faulty 3.3v rail in the power supply. I dunno your exact specs, but being able to boot with one stick just fine sounds like power issues... if you have another ps, try it out... if you have tons of peripherals, strip down to bare bones... you may be overworking a power rail or caps / vr on the mobo.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Oh wait, I can't believe it never occurred to me you're running both the 3x1 and 3x2 triple pairings at the same time (even though you implicitly said it).

My suggestion, is NOT to run those at the same time. Choose either the 3x2s or the 3x1s. Don't mix-and-match. The cause of your problems is incorrect voltages and timings for one of the sets. Basically if set 1 (3x1) is slower and rated for lower voltages and higher timings and the other set is rated for a higher voltage and lower timings, the other set won't operate (or cause errors) when used at a lower voltage and a higher timing.

Hence, why those X58 boards have matched triple RAM pairings. They are not designed to run mix-and-match pairings as that often times causes lots of weird errors and problems like you are experiencing.

So in other words, run the 3x2 config. If you want more RAM, return the 3x2 and get yourself a 3x4 triple matched RAM set.
                Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 04-28-2011, 02:43 AM.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

yeah... what he said... power issues... LOL... i did not catch the mix either. I thought he was adding same to same, and just over working components, never occurred to me that there would possibly be a voltage disparity between the sets - nice catch.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Hellswaters View Post
                    Edit: It would appear to be working. Just posted and reading 9216MB. ONLY way to get it to work would be install, boot up one stick at a time. If I would try putting in 2 or more at a time, it would not boot. Started up 3 times, now. Just hope it is stable and lasts. Thanks all for the quick and timely help.
                    3x1 + 3x2 is not liable to remain stable. Heck, even using identical sets of paired memory can be finicky at times* (as in, two sets of the same paired units of memory). You would be better off, as Acreo suggested, returning the 3x2 and investing in 3x4 and running it alone. Or if you're really feeling cheeky, get 6x4 arrangement! :D

*Depends on the individual mobo and memory involved, though it seems that triple-paired memory is less likely to have this issue than the older dual-paired style.

Comment

Hmm, well, he could always go with a 6x2 config: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145233

It costs like $10-15 more and he'd lose 3 of his 6 slots. I still think the 3x4 is better.

As for 2 sets of matched ram causing problems on the triples vs. the older doubles, that's not the case anymore. It hasn't been much of an issue since we left DDR1 RAM behind. I'm actually running 2 2x2 DDR2 800 matched pairs from two different batches a whole two years apart. Ran memtest (8+ hours) and didn't get any errors.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X