is this worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this worth it?

My computer has died, and i was offered a new one for 1600 dollars.
    The specs are:
    Intel Core I5 661
    4 gigs DDR3 ram
    1 T disc
    Nvidia GTS 450
    Thanks for your help :D
    /Sproge

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
    "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Re: is this worth it?

Sproge Im no PC build guru but if you have $1600 I think you can build a better one than that, should be able to buy a built to order one that will out perform it (and they charge over the odds). A halfway solution if you don't want to put the whole thing together is a pre-overclocked motherboard bundle. You will commonly find you can get say an o/c'd Intel SandyBridge clocked to near 5.0Ghz, good mobo and good memory for a few hundred dollars like, they are about 350-500 in the UK. That would leave you over a grand for the other stuff, ie new GFX etc. You could go crazy and get yourself the new 3GB Nvidia 580, currently the biggest bad boy on the block as I understand. You may need to save some money for your electricity bill though.

It would help if you posted what happened to your PC, ie, how did it die? From that we can establish if there is any of it you can/want to recycle, for example the case/cards (sound or gfx). I assume you are going to reuse your keyboard/mouse etc.

I think you could build a monster of a rig if you recycle at least some of your old one for well below the $1600 'ceiling'.

Comment

If we're talking about US$, don't take that offer. It's not worth it.

Comment

No way! Just no way. I totally agree with Wickens, do not buy that computer. With that amount of money you could buy something magical.

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
        Erwin Rommel

Comment

I know computer parts are more expensive in Europe, but that still seems like a terrible deal. In the US, a used computer with those specs would be worth around $600 USD.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't sproge. If you have a budget and want help, let us know what your willing to spend and we can get some guys to make a few specs up for you mate.

Comment

ok, ty for the fast response.
              i realy dont want to go over 1000, and i dont realy know how to build a computer :P but i think i can probably find somone that can help me.
              so, i wont get that computer, and i would LOVE some advice on what to get!

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

you came to the right place....There are a ton of guys who will be glad to help with selecting the parts. I've built about 6 machines now...mostly for myself but a couple for others. I was very hesitant at first but it's really pretty easy. Just about everything is pretty much plug and play these days and if you can wire up a stereo receiver or a cable box than you have enough know how to do the pc build.

Good luck.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

That rig is worth at most $700 with Windows 7 Ultimate. Otherwise, if it were without OS, $600.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know you said you don't know how to build a computer, but it is SO much easier than you think. take your dead one apart and put it back together.... all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

I put together a computer that would whup that computer and steal it's lunch money for 470 2 weeks ago - http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ar-budget.html. You REALLY need to consider building. Also, what died? If you can salvage anything at all, it will further your budget... I am sure the case and DVD drive are still fine.. maybe the power supply and ram.... maybe the cpu or video card... even if you have to replace the mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and video card... you can get out under a grand with a SCREAMING computer.

I promise, you can build a computer..... I offer my services over video conference if you think you need it, but I know you wont... just get advice on the parts to buy. putting it together is cake as long as everything matches up.. (right ram, right cpu socket, etc)
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Building a computer is easier than putting together a Lego kit. Obviously you have to be more careful with the parts but the payoff is worth it. You'll learn a lot and will have a much easier time troubleshooting problems should they arise in the future. If you decide to go that route, you'll find plenty of help here. Lots of us think it's really fun spending other peoples' money on computer components. ;)

If you can link us to a good online computer component site that ships to your country, we can start picking out parts for you.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sproge View Post
                        i was offered a new one for 1600 dollars.
                        That extra $1000 must be some sort of consulting fee.

Comment

ok awesome :D i WILL Build a new computer!
                          ok, my old computer was REALY old, and the motherboard died, and it was so old that getting a new mother board is not compatible whit my parts. (its DDR1 ram in it) but the harddrive works, the DVD works to.
                          i cant remembre the name of the grafics card, i will find it soon.
                          do we have a swede that know somwere to shop computerparts? if not, maby use pricerunner.se?
                          thanks for the help, sproge loves you all!

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

Been a little while since I was looking around for cheap computer parts, on top of my head, I would look at: Mycom, dataprince, databutiken, Dustin (names of shops that sells computerparts in Sweden, just google them).

Will see if I can come up with some more names for you...I know I have forgotten a few ;). Ask Alvin, Lien and Abel btw, they might know other cheap stores.
                            When I count, there are only you and I together
                            But when I look ahead up the white road
                            There is always another one walking beside you
                            Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
                            I do not know whether a man or a woman
                            - But who is that on the other side of you?

/The Waste land by T.S Eliot

Comment

Also Sproge, if your computer was really old, I think you might need to buy a new power supply aswell. If you look at it you will find out it's capacity, add a list of what you plan to buy and I'm sure someone here can say if what you have is enough or not.

For a good computer, that you build yourself, you most likely will end up around 8-12k swedish kronor. Also, if you want to save money, you can use (probably) your old graphic card for now and upgrade it later on.
                              When I count, there are only you and I together
                              But when I look ahead up the white road
                              There is always another one walking beside you
                              Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
                              I do not know whether a man or a woman
                              - But who is that on the other side of you?

/The Waste land by T.S Eliot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X