Android Testers Needed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Testers Needed!

I could use a couple people to do a little testing and give me some feedback.

If you feel like spending $0.99, check out the new Tactical Gamer Mobile app in the Android Market!

It's a TG specific app to browse the forums, blogs, etc. You can do all sorts of cool stuff. Unfortunately, I don't have an Android phone at home so I'm unable to do much right now.

I want to get a little bit of testing done before I put up anything on the front page or make any big promotion for it.

Once I have things sorted, there will be two versions of the app. A free version supported by ads and the paid version for $0.99.

I'm also trying to sort out a code-based method of getting the paid app for free if you're a supporting member, but that's going to take a little more work.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Android Testers Needed!

Oh.. And an iPhone version will be along shortly too...

Comment

Ok, went through it and it looks pretty good. Some slight issues:
      1. The icon needs to be improved. Currently, it looks pretty darn bad on the market and in the app list.

2. When viewing threads, it starts at the very beginning of the thread. While this is ok for brand new/low postcount threads, imagine trying to view a thread with several hundred pages to it (like JMJ's neighbor hating thread, or the gigantic thread in the 6th forum which I know you can see). Sufficed to say, when I checked that particular thread in the 6th forum, it took me 14 minutes to scroll to the last page. I think setting the default to last post would be great.

3. Theres no options menu to tweak anything. Also, theres no way to directly exit the application without having to logout first. I love the concept, but I'd rather it had a "stay logged in" feature like tapatalk does.

I'm sure I'll think of/find more stuff to bring up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
        Ok, went through it and it looks pretty good. Some slight issues:
        1. The icon needs to be improved. Currently, it looks pretty darn bad on the market and in the app list.

2. When viewing threads, it starts at the very beginning of the thread. While this is ok for brand new/low postcount threads, imagine trying to view a thread with several hundred pages to it (like JMJ's neighbor hating thread, or the gigantic thread in the 6th forum which I know you can see). Sufficed to say, when I checked that particular thread in the 6th forum, it took me 14 minutes to scroll to the last page. I think setting the default to last post would be great.

3. Theres no options menu to tweak anything. Also, theres no way to directly exit the application without having to logout first. I love the concept, but I'd rather it had a "stay logged in" feature like tapatalk does.

I'm sure I'll think of/find more stuff to bring up.
        1. The icon was, unfortunately, designed for the iPhone and it got scaled down to work on Android. I'll tweak it so the resolution is closer to native for the Android devices. It looks fantastic on the iPhone though! :) I'll post some screenshots of that shortly once my phone is done syncing up my apps.

2. Will submit as feature request for next version. Very good points. I just did the same thing with JMJ's neighbor thread and did notice that it was a little annoying. I'm not sure how bad it is on Android, but it's rather quick on the iPhone to scroll across pages.

3. Will submit as feature request for next version.

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/members...ure8393-a.html

You can see the TG icon is SUPPOSED to look.

I really like being able to take photos and send them right to my TG album though. That's just cool.

Comment

Curiously, how does this app differ from tapatalk?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
            |TG|Melee
            Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
              Curiously, how does this app differ from tapatalk?

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk.
              It's TG specific and adds a bunch of new features that are specific to vBulletin vs. a more generic platform.

Comment

Oh nice....I was hoping an app like this would come
                "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Test post from the app. Also noticed that images don't show up in posts (avatars do) and bbcode just shows as code instead of being properly formatted.

EDIT: ok, now that i'm back on the computer, some additional notes:
                  1. The format for posting allows for a reply "topic", which tapatalk doesnt (i.e. the "Re: Android Testers Needed!") which is why tapatalk posts always look so funny cause they're right at the top border. A feature request to populate this field with the topic being posted in automatically would make it better. The initial post from the app looked just like a tapatalk post until I went in and manually entered the title, and then it looked right.

2. The application seems to hang a lot, even on wifi. Connection errors on about every second action in the app.

3. Here's what the forum posts look like to illustrate my point from the app post:

No image.

No formatting for bbcode

bbcode apparently works when you view individual posts. Pictures still dont.
                  Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

FYI: This is the current bug tracker for the mobile application platforms:

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBM

You might be able to submit bugs directly for the Android app. I'm not sure if it requires anything other than a forum account on the vBulletin site.

Comment

I'm on it right now and I like it so far. A few things I would note:

1. The app looks great except when browsing by forum. The blue on white color scheme is a bit hard on the eyes.

2. Scrolling is pretty choppy on my phone. I have a low end phone (Optimus S overclocked to 748MhZ) but nothing else I use is as lacking in fluidity.

3. To piggyback on what Ferris said, scrolling through long threads is a nightmare. It's slow and you can almost watch the battery drain as it loads page after page. A "skip to last unread post" option would be wonderful.

Other than that, I like the app. I can't wait to see what future incarnations bring.
                      Last edited by Buckets; 04-29-2011, 01:31 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

One more thing. When browsing by newest post on the home screen, it would be nice to know which subforum they're in.

Edit: still hoping that the app someday defaults to last unread post when opening a thread.
                        sigpic

Comment

Apo, on the version I am testing.........

can also confirm that an "Open at last unread post" option would be great. I don't suffer any scrolling issues on my end at all. Some threads can be a little slow to load, but thats most likely to do with the 0.5mb wifi I am connected to.

One issue I DID get this link.

IHS Requirement Thread

Whiskey has a link embedded in his post, that refuses to open regardless of the method I use with the app.

Also, the little "logos" in some threads, to the right of the number of replies, I was at a loss to explain what those were:

Can confirm the upload pics section works very well, better than my imageshack app in fact.

On the forums page, it would be great to have some sort of indicator to show if a certain forum section (EG ArmA, or BF2 etc) had new posts to read in it.

Otherwise, very nice app!

Comment

Also, just noticed that the blogs section does not show replies!

Comment

Lots of bug reports filed, we should see an updated version of the app soon to correct them. On another note, the TG Mobile iPhone App is up on the app store now too!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X