Help Sproge build a new computer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Sproge build a new computer!

I have 1000 USD to spend. i want the new rig to be able to play BF3.
    I have everything "around" the computer (keyboard and such).
    I have a working but old hard drive, 200 gigs.
    I will have the info on what can be reused this monday, i will post it in this thread.
    I need your help in what parts to get, places to shop in sweden are Mycom, dataprince, databutiken, Dustin amongst others. Pricerunner.se is a nice site to use.
    Thank you for your help!
    /Sproge
    Last edited by sproge; 04-29-2011, 07:56 AM. Reason: Why did i put a "O" there?

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
    "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Re: Help Sproge build a new computer!

I just built my Sandy Bridge computer, I'd suggest building around the Intel i-5 2500K. You can spring for the i-7 2600K if you like, but I don't think it's needed, especially if funds are limited, I'd spend the difference on the video card or an SSD.
    For the motherboard there are lots of options, and I spent a lot of time looking at reviews and tech specs, and the ASUS P8P67-m Pro seems to offer the best features at a reasonable price with few complaints.

SSDs are nice, very nice. If you have a bit of money to spend I'd get one in addition to the larger hard drive.

Here's a pretty basic computer build checklist that should be plenty fast. As long as the core components are compatible, the other stuff isn't that important. Putting it all together is pretty straightforward,

Core parts that you need to buy
    [ ] CPU - Intel i5 2500K ($200 / 2000SEK)
    [ ] Motherboard - I'd get the ASUS P8P67-m Pro ($150 / 1315SEK)
    [ ] RAM - 4-8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333Mhz ram. For example Corsair 4GB DDR3 ($40 / 414SEK)
    [ ] 600W+ Powersupply with the appropriate connections. For example OCZ ModXStream ($70 / 700SEK)
    [ ] Video Card - The best that you can afford after everything else :-)

If you're going to run a very high-end video card or SLI/Crossfire, you might need to get a larger power supply. Just figure out what video card setup you want to get and then look for the appropriate PSU with the keywords ATX v2.2 and EPS12V.

Other things that you can buy or reuse from existing stuff, some people choose to spend lots of money on this stuff, but in general it doesn't really matter. Get what you can afford or what makes you happy.

[ ] Case - Any mid tower of a decent brand. For example Antec One Hundred. ($50 / 500SEK)
    [ ] SATA DVD R/W - Whatever that doesn't have horrible reviews ($25), they all work.
    [ ] SATA Harddrive - Whatever 7200rpm drive that doesn't have horrible reviews ($50), they all work.
    [ ] Windows 7 Home / Home Premium OEM 64bit (Get student version if you're eligible)

Optional stuff
    [ ] SSD for the boot drive ($100-200)
    [ ] Cables and Fans - A couple SATA cables and case fans if the case doesn't have them ($20).

Comment

And when it comes to CPU choice, consider that most (all?) of the P67 chipset motherboards have built-in overclocking abilities, you just click a button and it overclocks the CPU for you. It set my i-5 2500K at 4.2Ghz and it's been running rock solid for the past month.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
        If you're going to run a very high-end video card or SLI/Crossfire, you might need to get a larger power supply. Just figure out what video card setup you want to get and then look for the appropriate PSU with the keywords ATX v2.2 and EPS12V.
        As a side note, unless you intend to use multiple monitors, SLI/Crossfire isn't worth the money or effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
          As a side note, unless you intend to use multiple monitors, SLI/Crossfire isn't worth the money or effort.
          agreed, spend the money and get a heavy duty single card solution. ATI 6950/6970 or Nvidia 580 serires
          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

HDD-For a mechanichal main drive you really can't beat the Samsung F3 1TB (7200rpm). Excellent games performance, reliable, very quick, about 45.00 in the UK. Regularly comes out as the goto HDD for a games system on price/performance (I have one and love it). Then you could put the OS and a few games on the SSD.

Comment

[ ] Motherboard - I'd get the ASUS P8P67-m Pro ($150 / 1315SEK)
              [ ] RAM - 4-8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333Mhz ram. For example Corsair 4GB DDR3 ($40 / 414SEK)
              [ ] 600W+ Powersupply with the appropriate connections. For example OCZ ModXStream ($70 / 700SEK)
              [ ] Video Card - ATI 6950/6970 or Nvidia 580 serires
              [ ] Case - Any mid tower of a decent brand. For example Antec One Hundred. ($50 / 500SEK)
              [ ] SATA DVD R/W - Whatever that doesn't have horrible reviews ($25), they all work.
              [ ] SATA Harddrive - Samsung F3 1TB (7200rpm).
              [ ] Windows 7 Home / Home Premium OEM 64bit (Get student version if you're eligible)

lets fill the rest in, and then im good to go :D

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

Case:

rosewill blackbone : 45 bucks US
                SILVERSTONE Precision Series PS05-B : 50 bucks us
                Antec TWO HUNDRED S :50 bucks us

power supply:

SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W : 70 bucks us
                Sunbeam PSU-COM680-BK-US 680W : 70 bucks us
                Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W :80 bucks us
                SILVERSTONE ST60F-P 600W : 110 bucks us
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I like Corsair PSU's. A 650W should be all you would need and more. Also as cheap as RAM is, I HIGHLY recommend going with 8 gigs instead of 4. Watch the sales and you can get 8 gigs of solid RAM for $70.
                  Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I'd also always recommend going for a full tower case where space around the case is not a prime concern. A full tower will give any air cooling solutions the best environment to function and allows room for expansion later on. Also make sure you get that Sandyfield CPU pre-overclocked if you aren't o/c'ing it yourself. They are made for overclocking. It will massively improve performance for 'everything'. That processor will O/C to over 4.5 with a reasonable 3d party cooler.

Comment

Yup, you can get an ATX fulltower as well, I just don't think unless you're really in to upgrading your computer the case matters much. Just get a mid-tower or larger, in whatever color/style makes you happy.

And yep, I'd go with 8Gb of RAM as well if the budget allows it. I started my build with 4 and will add another 4 in the future to keep the initial expense down.

sproge, what are you missing at this point? Any questions?

Comment

I would advice considering a bigger monitor, go for 23" or bigger, this was an update i did in Feb and it made a great difference, I love it

Comment

Originally posted by sproge View Post
                          [ ] Video Card - ATI 6950/6970 or Nvidia 580 serires
                          :D
                          I'm going to throw this out there as a money saver only because I did it and was very happy with the results. I have the XFX 6950 2gb card, the 6950 is unique in that it has an actual dual bios on the card which you can choose between via a selector switch. I have one of those bios flashed with a 6970 bios therefore essentially making my 6950 a 6970. Mine has been rock stable and runs very cool (41C) in any game I have played. It is an option for you as it will give you more bang for the buck. The bios lash itself is very easy and instructions, tools, are all over the web. Just throwing it out there.
                          "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

so, after beeing AFK for like a week, im back :P
                            will get the info on what parts i have tomorow, will post then and after that, i will check everything.
                            now i will go to bed!

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

ok, i think my video card is reusable, it's a 8800 GTS.
                              also, a friend told me to get RAM whit RIDE (I have noidea what that is except that it allows 2 of somthing to work at the same time, im so bad at this :/ ) he said 2 500 gig ride would do the job, what do you say about that?
                              he also said something about corsair power supply being awesome
                              my case and DVD is reusable to.
                              how do i check if all the part are compatible?
                              i love you guys!

Sproge The Crazy Swede

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...