Last-minute tablet purchase suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last-minute tablet purchase suggestions

Yes, it's yet another "which tablet should I buy" post. Sorry, folks, but I've pretty much left the decision to the last possible moment, so you're my only hope. (cue Star Wars theme)

So, if I were buying a tablet *right now*, what would you recommend?

My four main requirements for the tablet are:

1. Good user experience (in regular use, that is. If need be I can compile things from source to install them. I just would rather not have to.)
    2. Jailbreakable and fully functional after being jailbroken
    3. Available without a mandatory contract
    4. Wifi capable (or does that go without saying nowadays?)

The highly desirable but not absolute deal-breakers are

1. Multitouch
    2. 3G capability
    3. Expandable storage (whether via USB, the perversion that is the iPad camera dongle, or SD card slot)

That's pretty much it. I've played with the Xoom and the PlayBook yesterday, and the PlayBook is pretty much out of the running -- simply too small. The main contenders at the moment are the Xoom and the iPad 2.

Waiting two weeks for delivery isn't really an option. Waiting a few months for an updated release of a piece of kit is definitely not an option. I'm looking at buying one within the next 12-24 hours, come hell or high water. Yes, this means I'll actually set foot in a brick and mortar store. I'm as shocked as any of you, but Promises Were Made.

(brief explanation: I'm looking at having some easy way of keeping my wife -- and myself, I suppose -- entertained in between contractions)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: Last-minute tablet purchase suggestions

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at240000050009
    This bad boy rocks at $399. They're just proving difficult to find. :(

If you have to have to have it now, check out the Acer at Best Buy...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computer...at239100050005
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/XE.H60PN.002
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I agree with War.monger, get the Asus Eee Pad Transformer if you can find it in stock or the Acer ICONIA TAB A Series. I just saw the Acer has a tft screen instead of an ips. Maybe try the Acer out and if you dont like it, return it for the Asus.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

War.monger, you're not kidding about difficult to find! Unavailable at every single BB store within a two-hour driving radius.

Both are tempting, but it looks like neither offers 3G, which is certainly a downside. My plan for 3G is pretty simple: Use the AT&T monthly service ($25/month last I looked) whenever I go for a conference somewhere, and generally pay far less than two days' worth of business hotel wireless would cost. AT&T coverage in this area is essentially non-existent, so there's no point whatsoever in keeping the service on constantly.

Looks like the Xoom is also not 3G, incidentally. There's a 3G model that's expected, but doesn't have a release date (or a price point) as yet.

--BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        --Blackraven93

Comment

There is a Xoom that will be ugradeable to Verizon's LTE service in the near future. I originally wanted that one, but I can't justify the price now that wi-fi honeycomb tablets have dipped right below $400. I thought I wanted 3g/4g, but decided that I'll just buy a new phone (which I'm overdue for) that will have wi-fi hotspot capability, then just run the tablet off of that.

Comment

if you have to have 3G capability right now go with the iPad 2, i think that might be your only option. otherwise I agree with war and trouble, the Eee Pad looks neato and is only $400.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Just learned that AT&T's gonna be selling a 3g/4g version of the Acer Iconia referenced above, but it will be called the A501 instead of the A500. It's not coming out until the summer, though, and I wouldn't really say it's worth the wait over the wi-fi only version. Since the Acer (and Asus I think) have REAL full usb ports, I wonder if usb tethering's a possibility using your Android phone if you have one. Hmm.

Comment

Sorry for disappearing from my own thread, but things progressed (as they do), and I ended up not getting anything before the baby came, after all.

On further reflection, I agree with War.MongeR on the subject of 3G. Paying a $130-$200 premium just for the ability to have it is very hard to justify, especially if I choose a device with bluetooth hotspot capability, and eventually get a phone with tethering.

Having excluded the most expensive options from consideration, I'm most likely going with not one, but two, tablets. One's already been purchased -- a refurbished iPad 1st gen for my wife. Mine will likely be the Asus Eee Pad. You're all right, the $400 price point is very hard to say no to.

That is, if I could find the damned things in stock anywhere...

While I was doing my digging, though, I put this together. Hopefully, someone else will find it helpful.

--BlackMirror
                --Blackraven93

Comment

Well, I couldn't hold out any longer. I bought the Xoom. The Transformer is still the one I want ultimately, but I'm working in Montana and wanted a way to do video chat without buying a new phone. I found a $50 gift certificate to Costco, a hundred bucks that I lost some time ago, and with no sales tax here, it brought my out of pocket price down to $439. I'm really impressed with it. It's very fast and responsive, it has excellent build quality, the screen is excellent, and I love the size of it. Comics are awesome on this thing compared to the 7 inchers.

When the 32 gb Transformer and dock FINALLY become available, I might sell my Xoom and buy that instead. Still, I'm very pleased with it.

Great comparison sheet, Cheburash! The only innacuracies I saw on your Xoom info, is that in actuality, it has 802.11 a/b/g/n. It also has 10-point multitouch, a light sensor, a proximity sensor, and even a barometer.

Comment

Congrats on the xoom War.monger.

I'm going to purchase the 32gb Asus Transformer as soon as I can find one in stock. Also I'll get the keyboard and a 32gb sd card. All the websites say out of stock or back ordered so perhaps I'll just order it and wait until they become available. If anyone finds one in stock please let me know because it's mine.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I'm not going to bother with the 32GB version. I can buy a pair of 32GB SD cards for that extra $100, which will work just fine for me.

Also, check out http://www.nowinstock.net
                      The name's pretty self-explanatory, I would imagine :)

Forgot to mention: Looks like the supply shortages are due to part sourcing difficulties on ASUS' end. Engadget cites Netbook News, which says production is bottlenecked at a mere 10,000 units per month. Supposedly, we should see more of these in June, but who knows... Maybe one of the German-speaking TGers can look into the original article and confirm or deny?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/s...-production-t/

And the German piece itself:
                      http://www.netbooknews.de/39604/engp...o-monat-bauen/

--BlackMirror
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

Thanks for the link Cheb :). Perhaps the 16gb would be suffice with 32gb sd cards. I'll let everyone know when I get it and how I like it.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          I'm really impressed with it. It's very fast and responsive, it has excellent build quality, the screen is excellent, and I love the size of it. Comics are awesome on this thing compared to the 7 inchers.
                          Congrats! I played around with it at Staples, and liked what I saw, too. The only issue for me is price (and I'm no good at reselling electronics).

The Xoom's build quality also makes me slightly concerned about the criticisms I've seen of the Transformer, mentioning flimsy feel and sharp-ish corners. Thoughts?

The only innacuracies I saw on your Xoom info, is that in actuality, it has 802.11 a/b/g/n. It also has 10-point multitouch, a light sensor, a proximity sensor, and even a barometer.
                          Thank you. Updated.

--BlackMirror
                          --Blackraven93

Comment

Another thing to consider is the charging ports/time. A downside AND an upside to my Xoom is that it has a funky adapter plug. It's teeny tiny, and this thing does not, and cannot charge via usb. The downside to that is that you may not always have your adapter with you or a car charger, whereas it's always easy to find a usb cable/plug. The major upside to this charging platform is that it's charging times are insanely fast! I remember reading somewhere that usb, while convenient, is a slower method to charge. Could be wrong, though. I went from about 45% to full in about 20-30 minutes today. Battery life also appears to be better than advertised. I've used the crap out of it all week, and only got it down to 45%.

Comment

The charging/proprietary connector issue seems to be common to the current generation of devices. The Nook Color ran into this, where you simply can't draw enough power over standard USB. With the Nook, however, no matter what the manual said, you could charge the device via USB, just at a much slower rate. I suspect the same is true with the Xoom -- the high-capacity battery needs more power than USB offers, so they went with a proprietary cable.

--BlackMirror
                              --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X