HD 6950 vs. GTX560

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD 6950 vs. GTX560

After 3+ years my 8800 GTS recently went belly up, so it's time for a replacement. The rest of my system is solid since I built it about 18 months ago (i5-750, 4GB RAM, 750W PS). Right now I just need a card to play CoD:BO until BF3 arrives (open, open, open...).

After a bit of research I've narrowed the search to what appears to be a good performance/price point: HD 6950 or GTX560. Does anyone have any arguments for one versus the other? Any arguments for another card altogether? Is it worth it to go with a 2GB version?
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: HD 6950 vs. GTX560

Personally, I've liked the ATI cards more lately. Not so much due to performance, but for power efficiency and heat. As far as the 2gb vs 1gb thing, while I have a 2gb card, I've read that it doesn't make much of a difference for most applications. I just have a 2gb card, because I got such an insane deal on it. If you can find one for close to the same price, go for it! I wouldn't spend a whole lot more for it, though. It might make a difference for eyefinity setups, though. For what it's worth, I'm running 3 screens, rendering at 5760 x 1080 res, and the card doesn't even break a sweat with all games maxed out. I have a Sapphire 5870 Eyefinity 6 card.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

According to HWCompare the GTX560 is slightly faster.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
        According to HWCompare the GTX560 is slightly faster.
        And runs 30 watts lower, too. I guess I gotta revoke my prior statement. Yeah, this is a tough call. They both seem great. I guess it comes down to whether you wanna crossfire or SLI someday, and if you want to do Eyefinity, which totally rocks, btw.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

One thing to keep in mind with the 6950 is that it can be flashed into a 6970, which would make it faster than the GTX560. Both are great cards and either would be an enormous upgrade over your 8800GTS.
          sigpic

Comment

Flashed into the model higher? How? You saying that you switch drivers?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

No, you flash the BIOS. It unlocks shaders, although the card only has one PCIE power port so it might not be safe to run it at full 6970 clocks.
              sigpic

Comment

See here

Comment

I have a flashed 6950....LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! (very easy to do)

runs at 41C in game as well :)
                  "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

If it's for gaming, I'd probably go with the 6850 for the simple fact that you can flash it into a 6970, thus outperforming the 560Ti. However, if you use Maya for any sort work/academics, you're stuck with choosing the 560Ti since Maya doesn't like to play well with ATI/AMD hardware.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      If it's for gaming, I'd probably go with the 6850 for the simple fact that you can flash it into a 6970, thus outperforming the 560Ti. However, if you use Maya for any sort work/academics, you're stuck with choosing the 560Ti since Maya doesn't like to play well with ATI/AMD hardware.
                      I think you mean 6950.....not 6850 :)
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Update: In case you're curious, I decided on the MSI HD6950 2 GB TWIN FROZR II/OC for $265 (no shipping or tax...I love Amazon).
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                          Update: In case you're curious, I decided on the MSI HD6950 2 GB TWIN FROZR II/OC for $265 (no shipping or tax...I love Amazon).
                          let us know how the bios flash goes if you go in that direction

Comment

I flashed my HD6950 from powercolor to a HD6970, no problems. But Im not sure if you can do that with the HD6950 cards out there now, I think they where going to update something, making you sure that you could not flash the HD6950.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                              I think you mean 6950.....not 6850 :)
                              Grr, yeah 6950. Missed the 9, hit the 8.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X