In the market for a new desktop mouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a new desktop mouse

So, I currently have a Logitech RX1500. I like it a lot, but I have one problem. The mouse keeps disconnecting from the computer and reconnecting, despite the cord not moving at all. This can be frustrating when playing games because the mouse can disconnect every 2 minutes, or every 20 minutes, there is no way to tell.
    I looked up solutions to the problem and none of them have worked, leaving me with no option but buying a new mouse. From what I understand, Logitech has bad cables.

As such, I am going to try and stray away from Logitech. I am not trying to spend any more then $30. The mouse needs to have a good scroll wheel and good DPI.
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: In the market for a new desktop mouse

Do you like smooth scroll or ratchet scroll (clicky-click)?

Do you have a preference for tilt wheel mice?

Would you consider a wireless mouse?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I prefer smooth scroll. I have no idea what a tilt wheel mouse is, so I'm going with no on that one.

I'd prefer to have a wired mouse, but if there is a suitable wireless mouse, then I would consider it.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

This is what I use

http://store.razerzone.com/DRHM/stor...ctID=169416100

Comment

Logitech G500

Has mouse sensitivity on the fly, ratchet and smooth mouse wheel.

I know you said you would like to stay away from Logitech but this one has a strong braided cable but still flexible enough to bend. Lots of good reviews also.

Also you get what you pay for. Not too many mice around $30 unless its a mini or very cheapo.

Comment

The single most important factor you need to consider when buying a mouse is how you hold it: whether you're a finger user or a palm user. Logitech mice are shaped in a way that feels typically better for palm users. Earlier Razer mice were shaped for finger users.

Comment

I got a Microsoft bluetooth mouse for my macbook, but am so completely impressed by it that I am considering getting another one for my desktop. It is on the smaller side, so if you have large hands like I do, It can get a little cramped after 5 or 6 hours. It has a ratchet wheel, and the softest click buttons I have ever used, but I am getting to where I prefer it. It can easily be picked up on ebay for under 30.00
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks to Acreo's advertising and hype, I bought into the G700, and am very happy with it. The grip is perfect for me since I'm a hybrid palm-claw gripper.

Like sordavie says, the best thing to look for is comfortability (ie, how you hold it). If its going to hurt your hand, then theres very little benefit from all its features. After that, I personally prefer functionality... things like # of buttons, ability for on-the-fly-DPI, etc. I actually use all that stuff, so it's nice to minimize taking your hand off the keyboard to accomplish all that.

Comment

From my own experience, any full-sized desktop mouse is good for palm grip or hybrid palm-claw grip (this is also my grip). Claw is probably the only one where you'd have to go and feel the mouse before buying as some just aren't good while others are great.

@socomseal

Your RX1500 has a tilt-wheel. Basically it tilts side-the-side for side scrolling (also can be remapped to mimic keyboard strokes).

I could rattle off a slew of mice that I think would be great, from wired to wireless even though your smooth scroll preference does eliminate about half...

Logitech M500 Laser Wired - $34

At the low end we have the Logitech M500 laser wired mouse. It's basically the updated MX610/620 laser mouse with a hybrid scroll tilt wheel (smooth or ratchet at the click of a button). Very comfortable for palm grip as well as palm-claw especially you have long hands.

Razer DeathAdder Laser Wired - $45

Long-time favorite amongst Razer fans. Great palm grip mice in general (and palm-claw). Smooth scroll wheel. Typical 2 side buttons, no tilt-wheel. Lights up blue when on (which some don't like).

Logitech G500 Laser Wired - $64

Recommended above. Also has a hybrid scroll tilt wheel. Has several side and index buttons. All of them are remappable through Setpoint. I've owned the wireless the cousin the G7 and it's similar in shape to my current G700 that you can palm or palm-claw it quite nicely. You could probably claw grip it just as well.

Logitech G9x Laser Wired - $70

Hybrid scroll tilt wheel (switch on bottom of mouse). Interchangeable grip shells (there's a wide one included). One of the few mice that are great for claw or palm-claw grips. Not so great for palm grips if you have long hands.

Razer Naga MMO Laser Wired - $80

The main selling point: numpad-style side buttons for those MMO players who need a ton of buttons on their mice for quick remapping use.

Logitech G700 Laser Wired/Wireless - $90 (Amazon is cheaper I think by $15)

Hybrid scroll tilt wheel. Hybrid wired/wireless. My current main desktop mouse. Basically the same ergo shape as the G500, G5, and G7 mice. It runs off one a single Eneloop rechargeable battery (included). The wired/wireless hybrid is basically the same as the Razer Mamba. You can use it wireless or wired and switch between the two on the fly. You can have the charging cable (which is also a data cable) plugged all all the time or only when you need to charge the battery. When unplugged, it's a wireless mouse.

There are quite a few side buttons (4) and index buttons (3) for remapping. Probably my favorite thus far with the Mamba in close second place (due to ergo fit).

Razer Naga MMO Laser Wireless - $100

Same as the Naga above, just using the wired/wireless system (not hybird, meaning when charging, you cannot use the mouse). Comes with a charging base to plug the mouse into.

Razer Mamba Laser Wired/Wireless - $120

Basically the same wired/wireless hybrid system my Logitech G700 above uses. You can use it wireless or wired and switch between the two on the fly. Comes well packaged and the whole thing comes with a display stand to show off your mouse. The differences here with the G700 are the lack of extra buttons and a higher price tag.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I second the Logitech G700. It is great, particularly for ArmA with all those buttons, where I have my DPI, my compass, my binos, and ALL my different comms channels on their. My only issue is the battery life. From fully charged to down low on gaming mode in about 5 hours.

I also stress the one I had before that, the Microsoft XM8 Sidewinder. Great mouse. Again with a tilt wheel, which is ESSENTIAL. It's quite big but it fitted my hand well. Less buttons that the G700, but a FAR superior charge method and battery life. Both great, and both wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                      My only issue is the battery life. From fully charged to down low on gaming mode in about 5 hours.
                      I think I may have overcharged it, so I go from fully charged to 1 bar in 2-3 gaming hours. Then again I set my Setpoint settings to 1000 polling rate and "Max Gaming" usage.

Comment

So do I. Maybe I was being generous with the above. The battery life really has dipped. I have a spare duracell rechargeable battery, might try that out. My old X8 Sidewinder would last a week! :(

Comment

I just bought some Sanyo Eneloop batteries, the same one the mouse came with. Suppossedly, like alkaline batteries, it holds the charge when not in use. I plan on just charging them all, then swapping the batteries when they die. It's more work than necessary, but at least it maximizes wireless time.

I'm also thinking the battery Logitech provided wasn't that great.

Comment

The new Eneloops actually have a higher capacity (2700 mah) than the original ones that come with the mouse (2000 mah). As for the 2-3 lifespan, try draining the battery then recharging it to full. Sometimes it takes a few full cycles for the cell to absorb all the power and give you that 5 hour lifespan.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

R.A.T 7 or 9
                              FTW

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                              George S. Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X