Random BSOD and Other Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random BSOD and Other Stuff

So i got some new computer parts a couple of days ago and after putting it together like an eager kid on christmas i got it all set up with updates, drivers, blah blah etc.

And while im tiddiling around on my desktop, my task bar (which is red) randomly switches colors to blue, so i thought that was kind of weird. After about 2 min it went back to red, and very shortly after that it BSOD'd. I didnt catch the message because i hadnt changed the settings to not restart on a BSOD.

So she booted back up and all seemed well. Then i got my ARMA2/ACE all good to rock and after playing in game with that for a few min the game crashed, i clicked close program and boom another BSOD. I missed the message again (because i forgot to change that setting again).

Then, today while i was on it i was writing a post on the forums here and when i backspaced to correct a spelling error the computer was lagging hard while deleting the text i had put. Shortly after that firefox stopped responding, then itunes, then xfire. Before i knew it all my programs stopped responding. When i tried to reopen them then opened for a second then said the program crashed. Not even a minute later it BSOD'd AGAIN. When i rebooted it started putting in some MS updates and THEN i got an error saying that Windows had gotten a critical error and it would be restarting the computer in one minute. So of course i was wtf'ing like crazy.

I whipped out the mother board manual and began to read like crazy. I found out that my motherboard was underpowering my ram by .2 of a volt (1.5 and its supposed to be 1.7) so i changed it to the right voltage and made sure it was on 1066mhz. I also checked all my other voltages which were in order.

I ran the windows memory diagnostic tool which came up empty handed. Then i tried the usual tedious task of checking my bios version, video drivers, sound drivers, MS updates which were all up to date and squared away. And then i finally remembered to change it to DONT restart on a BSOD and of course, since then it hasnt BSOD's (just my luck) but its been giving me other problems. Since then it was giving me hard core artifacts in ARMA (all temps were below 55*C) and then my desktop changed colors again.

So now im waiting for it to BSOD one more time so i can see the error and pursue from there. Im guessing my ram is muffed. Any input or suggestions while i wait for the BSOD would be greatly appreciated. Oh and i forgot to mention that i did notice the BSOD mention dxdiag real quick as it flashed before my eyes.

Computer Specs:

MSI P43-C51 Mobo
    OCZ Gold Series 1066 DDR3 2x2gb (PC3 8500)
    MSI Geforce GTX275 896MB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Thermaltake 1000w PSU

Thanks,
    Joe
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: Random BSOD and Other Stuff

After some tech forum scouring, I've come up with a few potential causes:

1) Virus -- Two specifically named: W32/Korbo-A and Worm.Brontok, though those aren't guaranteed, just related to your symptoms.
    2) HDD has bad sectors

My suggestion would be to do the normal anti-virus things and also a HDD scan to see if there are any bad sectors. Lastly, since this is a relatively new computer, you might consider going through and making sure everything is seated correctly, especially the video card.

Comment

he Joe is the memory new? You said you had to tweak the voltage .2? That really shouldn't have BSOD if your not overclocking.

Make sure Mem timings are in spec.

if the memory is new you may have a bad stick.

please post what the new hardware is and what version of windows you are running.
      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

A few years ago when I bought the computer I have now, I was getting BSOD while playing PR. I tirelessly tried to investigate what could be causing this, but in the end noticed there was a firmware upgrade for my motherboard BIOS. So, I flashed the BIOS - I was holding my breath the whole time because if something goes wrong while flashing the BIOS, it can really suck. Anyway, it worked and this fixed my problems with the BSOD.

This may have Absolutely nothing to do with your problems but just thought I would mention it. See if there's a firmware upgrade for your motherboard BIOS.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Speaking of RAM, check to make sure the DRAM voltages in the BIOS are calibrated to your specific RAM. I upgraded my RAM not too long ago, but forgot to update my BIOS. My comp would hard crash about 5-10 minutes into BC2 consistently. A post here reminded me about my BIOS settings. Fixed it, and haven't crashed since.

Comment

Thanks for the sugggestions guys!

I popped open my case and made sure everything was properly in place (which it was).Im running a virus scan as im typing this and after that ill do a HDD check (which by the way is also only a few months old). I doubt its a virus but better safe then sorry i guess. As for voltage/timing everything is as should be. Im pretty sure its just a bad stick of ram, I got a buddy who works at a computer store so later on we're gonna swap in some new ram and see how she goes. I should have bought a mobo with DDR2/3 so i could use my OCZ reaper ram!

@Ven, the mother board and the ram are the new bits. And i have Win7 64bit Ultimate

Ill update later on after we've swapped the ram around. Thanks again
            sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

Turns out it was the mobo. We built a whole new computer off my mobo and it was giving me the same errors. Gonna have to RMA it. Thanks for the help though guys!
              sigpic

Comment

That sucks. Mobo problems are always such a pain to fix. At least you were able to identify it relatively painlessly.

Comment

This seems to be the computer from hell... We built it up and it ran perfectly fine for about a day. It took in automatic updates and when i went to bed i shut it down. Woke up in the morning and it BSOD'd repeatedly. I got onto windows once of about 15 tries and i attempted to do a system restore because i figured it was a bad windows update but it BSOD'd. Since then ive been unable to get back onto windows. It gives me two errors, first is a win32k.sys error and the second is a "page_fault_in nonpaged_area" error.
                  sigpic

Comment

According to this forum thread, there are numerous things that could be causing the BSoD's. The last post in the above linked thread says that a chipset driver install fixed the problem. Might be worth a shot even though those posts are from 2009. Also, you might get fewer BSoD's for the driver update in Safe Mode.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah i read that but ive been unsuccessful so far with even getting on the desktop. If i can get back onto the desktop ill try it but I might just have to rip out my hard drive and format it. Problem is that this is the 4th install of windows on the 4th hardware set up with the same problems. If i miss the dirt3 release day im gonna be sooo pissed...
                      sigpic

Comment

Update!

I started getting NTFS.sys BSODs today, no idea why or what from so Ive run a system file check, check disc, ran memtest all without error. I also tried a the memory verifier before those test and it BSOD with NTFS.sys error while trying to do that. I also went through my mini dumps and CBS logs which i will attach along with this post. If anyone is good at reading these and seeing whats up, if you could do that i would really appreciate it.Minidumps.zip
                        sigpic

Comment

Can you get the system to boot into safe mode at all? If so, is it BSoD'ing in safe mode?

sigpic

Comment

Updated update. I was able to get it into safe mode for the last little while and i was able to get driver verifier to work and when it did BSOD i got a GDRV.sys driver failure *breath* WHICH was the cause of my win32k.sys and NTFS.sys BSODs. Turns out GDRV.sys is a driver that comes with Gigabytes Easy Tuner 6 and Dynamic Energy Saver programs. I uninstalled both programs, the GDRV.sys is gone and i am sitting on my regular desktop BSOD free :D

Im hoping this was the fix for it and if it wasnt ill post back. Thanks for the help though
                            sigpic

Comment

Anytime!

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed