Arma 2 Low fps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma 2 Low fps?

Completely noob question here hopefully it hasn't been posted 400 times on here. Sorry in advance if it has i tried searching for some. So basically ive had problems not being able to even break 30 fps on arma 2 and OA multiplayer. Im not sure if this is a common thing but any help would be greatly appreciated. I went searching for a few hours and most of the posts were all about single player poor preformance in which case it was usually the persons computer. Unfortunately i get like 160 fps in single player, and the gameplay is obviously noticeably better. now i fully understand theirs way more involved with the multiplayer but I'd only expect maybe a 40 fps drop at most. Anyway. SPECS:
    CPU= I7 950 (stock speed)
    Ram= 6 gb (ddr3 1600 mhz)
    Videocards= 2x AMD 6850's
    Mobo= Sabertooth X58
    PSU= CM 1000 watt gold
    OS=Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Everything runs nice and cool, and ive never had a problem in the past. Im probably no different than anyone else's preformance but i can't help but feel I have a setting wrong somewhere. My Arma 2 settings are as follows.

High everything except AA and AF which are at normal. 1920x1080. View distance 2400 roughly. On Single player i can literally crank everything full and i still get over 60fps. Thanks to anyone who spent 5 min answering the noobs question.

Re: Arma 2 Low fps?

I do know that FPS is quite low in this game regardless of ones rig. What the issue lies is in your hard drive, as Arma loves to give it a run for its money.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

i knew i forgot a part in my system. I run an OCZ vertex 2 SSD, for windows. Arma 2 is installed on a 500gb hdd 64 mb cache, 7200rpm, Sata 6.... I know that it makes no difference because it is not on the solid state, but I say again.. REALLY?! I dont even think my rig is that crazy but how can i max out the game in single player and then take such a hit like basically unplayable hit in MP? My pig is always like 50-90 and although my interent isn't great where i live its reasonable. I have no virus's and keep my windows extremely clean running, no errors no bsod's, brand new video drivers, Crossfire is properly setup! what does this game want from me!!

Comment

Think of the size of an average single players game and then think of the size of the map for arma, add in all the different textures and hundreds of different things that can happen at any point and you can start to see why it can run slow :), try installing arma on the ssd, it should improve.

CPU and hard drive are hit the hardest for arma, while most other games make use of the gpu :)

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
        So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I suppose i could I just dont understand why other with even slower hdd's dont complain. Weird but ill probably try it. Would overclocking the cpu help its already at 3.07 on a quad core i7

Comment

do you use the steam or CD version? when i used the CD version i got bad fps because the game tried to pull stuff off the CD
            if you have the CD version try using a no cd patch

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
            The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

no i have it on steam version. Like is it just me that has this? :P What kind of systems do you guys run on? Like its weird too because no matter how much I adjust settings i still only get between like 22-30 fps always even if all settings are on low. Its as if something was setup wrong or theres some sort of cap. I have no clue

Comment

No CD patch is no longer needed with the recent ArmA version.

As for your FPS issue. It could be that your graphics card is not configured right to run the game? or that the game isn't using all the cores to its full potential.
                Check around the Bohemia Interactive Studio forum. There are many forum threads regarding such issues.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Try running with one Graphics card and see if it changes. I know you going "wtf" by now but once you read the threads on the BIS forum you will understand that people have been chasing the golden fleece of optimising Arma since day one. I have seen grown men weep at empty wallets , while thier rigs on crack struggled with Arma. I have a relativly cheap AMD 6 core, one 6870, 8Gb ddr3 memory and run my game on a Crucial C300 SSD Sata3 . SSD will not give you better frames , just runs smoother. I average about 40 fps, lower in the teens in some places in the game and in the 60's in the desert. After my initlial testing and set up i never used fraps again, i go by how the game looks and feels to me. Chasing the frames in this game will make you crazy and a whole lot poorer.

Comment

I second Chiefs points.
                    It is indeed the golden fleece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

My specs...

i7 960 @ 3.75
                      EVGA GTX 480
                      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
                      6Gbs Corsair Dominator DDR 3 @ 1600

Most maps see me @ around 50-90 FPS with some dips down to the 30's and even the 20's at times (smoke & explosions)

Alot depends on the scripts running in the missions. If there are alot of AI activity your FPS will drop. Sounds crazy but this is a function of the CPU dependency for this game.

Putting on the SSD really helped the stuttering I had when it lived on my WD 1000RPM raptor.

Welcome to TG ARMA. I'm with Chief. After initial tweaking I disabled my FPS counter. As long as you are running fine in game why torture your self.

Also...doesn't make sense but....running with shadows enabled at the highest quality is supposed to yield more FPS...counter intuitive but so much about ARMA is.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthrunner1 View Post
                        Completely noob question here hopefully it hasn't been posted 400 times on here. Sorry in advance if it has i tried searching for some. So basically ive had problems not being able to even break 30 fps on arma 2 and OA multiplayer. Im not sure if this is a common thing but any help would be greatly appreciated. I went searching for a few hours and most of the posts were all about single player poor preformance in which case it was usually the persons computer. Unfortunately i get like 160 fps in single player, and the gameplay is obviously noticeably better. now i fully understand theirs way more involved with the multiplayer but I'd only expect maybe a 40 fps drop at most. Anyway. SPECS:
                        CPU= I7 950 (stock speed)
                        Ram= 6 gb (ddr3 1600 mhz)
                        Videocards= 2x AMD 6850's
                        Mobo= Sabertooth X58
                        PSU= CM 1000 watt gold
                        OS=Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Everything runs nice and cool, and ive never had a problem in the past. Im probably no different than anyone else's preformance but i can't help but feel I have a setting wrong somewhere. My Arma 2 settings are as follows.

High everything except AA and AF which are at normal. 1920x1080. View distance 2400 roughly. On Single player i can literally crank everything full and i still get over 60fps. Thanks to anyone who spent 5 min answering the noobs question.
                        Holy crap....thats a nice rig....should play anything out there really well, there has to be a setting or something capping your frames.
                        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X