Liquid's 1st build! Please help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid's 1st build! Please help?

Hello my fellow TG community! I've came to ask advice and tips about my First build from the many tech geniuses this community is known for. Words of wisdom are welcomed by all :D So my computer drew its last breath about two days and has been through plenty of rough times with me these past couple of years (Caught on fire once, dont ask) I purchased the computer for about $1000USD and I've decided this time to build a rig thats going to be faster and cheaper, I would love it to play ARMA2 + Mods to its full potential ( Recently purchased the game and have been addicted to it ever since i hopped on the TG Bravo server :) Most importantly, future-proof. I do intend on purchasing BF3 and ARMA3 whenever its ready and hopefully running it smoothly. I know its going to be hard with a $900 budget or less.
    I started on this project already and this is what i have so far:

CPU- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    MOBO- MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
    CD-ROM- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
    PSU- Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular
    CASE- Rosewill Challenger ATX Midtower or Antec Three Hundred Illusion? ( Haven't decided which one to use )
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147153
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...red%20illusion
    * Will get a afterstock CPU cooler after core components
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Still to get:

GPU- I've done alot of research on the 560GTX series and it has come down to two choices as of now. The MSI 560GTX series provides both excellent cooling and amazing OC performance. MSI 560GTX has better core/shader clocks compared to the MSI 560GTX Twinfrozr 2 and uses a newer Twinfrozr 3 cooling system. The Hawk is bigger in size but not by too much. Only issue I've heard is with Hawk is that the PWM Cooling tends to heat up alot.
    Source: http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...tx_hawk/16.htm
    The MSI 560GTX Twinfrozr 2 on the other hand has more customer ratings on newegg so i know its been well tested and has 2x Winner for Customer Choice awards already. Both cards are with in the same price range with a $5 difference. Logically speaking, most would say go with the Hawk. But I'm not a person who likes to jump into decisions without seeking expert opinions from people such as yourselves, esp when money comes into play. The $20 rebate for both cards expires by the end of the month so i would like to pick out a GPU by next week.
    MSI 560GTX Twinfrozr 2 vs. MSI 560GTX Hawk
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127578
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127565

Now comes the final part of the computer I know the least about, and have to take deep consideration about. SSD OR HDD? if i do decide on getting a HDD, i have the Samsaung F3 7200rpm 1TB in mind. SSD would be the OCZ Vertex 50gb. I thinking of just getting the SSD and mounting my OS on it and keeping my old Hitachi 500gb Hardrive but I've been told HDD as well as CPU is important when it comes ARMA2+MODS. Its still very much unclear so I'm hoping to narrow down the choices I have to make.

Re: Liquid's 1st build! Please help?

I am not a fan of either of those cases.

First, high-end video cards just do not fit well into Mid Tower chassis, and based on my checking the feedback on NewEgg, that seems to be confirmed (either PCI-Express slot will result in some lost drive bays).

Second, based on the layout of your motherboard, neither of those towers are going to provide ideal cable management with a large video card. Both cases mount the PSU on the bottom and in order for you to connect the 24pin ATX line, you're going to have to go around the video card (and in fact, that'll be the case for nearly everything that requires a line from the PSU). Have a crude picture of what I'm talking about:

After that, I'm mildly concerned about the overall layout of the board possibly causing issues with seating the video card. I may be worried for nothing but it's a concern I see from how close certain aspects are sitting together.

Comment

By the way, that Antec case is HUGE and LOUD. I built one for someone else and it is purely for ventilation. No sound dampening whatsoever.

Comment

If you want a mid size tower I suggest: HAF 912 $59.99

Great cooling, front I/O, dust filters and support for long gfx cards. Can also replace the 120mm fans for 200mm if needed.

Comment

Ahh thanks for the input and pictures Flarfignuggen. I see now it cause a crowding issue with the high-end gpus, I dont plan on using SLi anytime soon but its still going to be a pain with cable management. I might just return one of those cases (probably the Rosewill if i can) for a bigger case like the HAF like Canada2005 suggested. Anyone else can vouch for a HAF as a good case for space and vent?

Comment

Flarfignuggen is right about having to wire some of the power cables over a video card, but personally I don't think it's that big of a deal if you have a simple build like the one you've outlined. Personally, I wouldn't buy a case that doesn't allow you to route the cables behind the motherboard. You can get much better airflow and neater cable management if a case allows you to do this. Check out the Fractal Define R3 on newegg. It's a well thought out, quality case that focuses on good cable management, decent airflow and quietness. It's more expensive than the cases you were looking at but it's not unreasonable. The HAF 912 looks like a great deal though.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Yeah I see now that it would be in my best interest to invest on the HAF 912 in that case. Now comes the question with the GPU! Twinfrozr2 or Hawk? unless you guys have better suggestions around the same price

Comment

bump*

Comment

Difference in the coolers from the Twinfrozr and the hawk is minimal (couple degrees). I would say go for the cheaper one.

Comment

Here is the perfect unboxing video for you. Has the differences between the hawk and the twinfrozr II.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X