x6 1090t v. i7 960

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x6 1090t v. i7 960

Is there honestly a reason to dish out the extra $100 for the Intel, or will arma 2 run smooth as a babies bottom on the x6?

Re: x6 1090t v. i7 960

Not sure why you're comparing the x6 1090t with the i7 960. You should probably compare the AMD chip to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115073

Comment

Because from my understanding they were both CPU's, but I have a very vague understanding of hardware I suppose. Really I'm just looking for a great processor to run the game smoothly.

Comment

Would you mind telling me what was odd about my question? It would help me understand better to be frank.

Comment

What Sordavie was reffering to was that you were comparing the AMD 6 core processor to a Core I7. What he was suggesting was that you should compare the AMD processor to a Core I5 Intel processor because they both have similar performance at a similar cost.
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal
          |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

They are both CPUs. But they're in different performance classes. That's why one of them is $100 more than the other. It's hard to compare the two purely in terms of price. Just about any current CPU will allow you to play ARMAII on various settings smoothly. (The smoothness of ARMAII seems really to depend on how HD access speed, if I've read the forums correctly.) It's hard for anyone to give you advice about whether your paying an extra $100 is worth the better performance for you. However, once you've decided what level of performance you want or how much you want to spend, we can give you some advice about choosing a CPU within that performance or price class.

As for price class around the x6 1090t, Intel offers the i5-2500, which is similar in price but offers slightly better performance.

Imagine I asked you whether there is any reason to dish out an extra $10 grand for an Audi S4 over a Toyota Camry, or will the latter get me where ever I want to go quickly and in comfort. This is a similar sort of question you asked. It's odd because nobody can really answer it for me. Different people might have different reasons for wanting the extra performance of the S4 over the Camry, and would be willing to spend the extra cash. Other people might not have any reason to spend that extra cash. What do other people's reasons have to do with your situation though? Either car is going to get you to where ever you want to go quickly and in comfort. The S4 might be more comfortable. It might offer you more quickness if you need it. But nobody can tell you whether you possibly have any good reasons to spend extra dollars for extra performance and features, unless you give us a lot more information about your preferences. Presumably, once you've stated all your preferences, you'll know the answer to your question anyway.

On the other hand, suppose someone frames the question at a particular price point or performance point and asks for advice about cars: Given I want to spend around $22 grand, what are the pros and cons of a Camry versus a Honda Accord? Now people can weigh in without trying to guess how much performance or certain features are worth in terms of dollar amounts to me.

Typically, if something current in the technology world costs more (brand name label recognition and strange supply issues aside), it's going to offer something more. Intel isn't going to offer a CPU at $100 more than its competitor if it doesn't do something more, better, or faster. Whether any of that extra stuff is worth the extra $100 from your pocket, I doubt anyone here can say.

Here are some broad performance/price measures to help you decide what price point you want:
            http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html
            http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...ance,2417.html

Comment

Makes complete sense. I should of added that I am more than willing to pay the additional $100 if the i7 would dramatically improve the overall playability/graphical quality of Arma2. I realize that it does boil down completely to personal taste, but I guess I was looking for someone who had run the game with a similiar, er.. grade(?) processor as the i7 or x6 to give me a little insight. If the i7 offers a significant leap up in quality, I'm all for it, but if there isn't a grand difference in the quality of the game using a i7 over an x6, I won't dish out the extra cash.

By quality I just mean ability to run the game without a nasty dip in fps on very high/high settings with a great view distance (if the view distance can't be maxed, I'm not going to bitch too much). And man I'm trying my hardest not to sound too ignorant, but I'm really only learning.. I appreciate anything you can tell me.

P.S. thanks for the links.

Comment

I am an ArmA2 player that is currently running a core 2 duo dual core processor. The core 2 duo is considered old and came out in 2006ish. Yet, I can run the game on high settings with good view distance. The reason for that is simple, I have a good hard drive(s). My feeling is that you could go with either the x6 or a Core I5, it would't make much of a difference because the game requires a good hard drive. I'm not sure of what your current processor is, but if you were going for a new processor, go for whatever is cheaper because the core i5 and x6 both have good performance. Then use left over money on a new hard drive(s) or SSD. Should you decide to buy a hard drive, you would want to buy two, which you could then put into raid 0 for better performance.
                |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

In terms of the sheer number of frames per second, games nowadays are bound by the GPU ability than CPU ability. With a typical AMD Phenom II X4 or even a last-gen Core i7, the top end GPUs become the bounding factor. Translation: CPUs nowadays are more powerful and graphics cards are the ones bottlenecking the entire rig for demanding games such as Bad Company 2 and ArmA II.

There isn't a need for a gaming rig to go with a 6-core processor. So if you were to pick AMD, I'd go for the generally similar performing but cheaper Phenom II X4s. For example the $155 AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE. That's about half the price of a current-gen Intel i7 2600. Most games don't even make full use of a quad-core or even a triple-core.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

By the graphics card bottlenecking the system, do you mean that while the processor is good enough to run the game, the graphics card can't play the game to it's fullest potential? I'm sure that's a ridiculous questions to you guys, but I really haven't read much more than that 'assets are water'. That's the meaning I extracted from the term. And do you think it'd be better to run the computer with two hard drives or an SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by corester
                      ...while the processor is good enough to run the game, the graphics card can't play the game to it's fullest potential?
                      More-or-less.

This does not mean you get poor framerates. In fact, you get great fps in general, just at higher resolutions with very demanding games, the graphics card is the one holding you back from getting better performance. This of course also becomes moot as time goes on and better graphics cards come out.

(I think the HD6990 probably has made this a rather moot point. Probably with some games and a 6990 CF setup, the CPU becomes the limiting factor.)

Another thing, if you aren't planning on buying right this minute, I'd wait until the AMD Bulldozer desktop chips are out and reviewed first. We're expecting them around the end of June (next month). Depending on how well they stack up against Intel's current parts, they could shift your decision.

As for graphics card, the current top dog is the AMD HD6990. The thing is a beast, not to mention the most expensive card outside of professional workstation graphics cards ($700+).

For example, the HD6990 CF gets over 140 fps in BC2 @ 1920 x 1200: http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-ra...fire-review/20

It's pretty shocking seeing this card leapfrog ahead of almost everything on the market in a lot of games.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

When people say a graphics card is the bottleneck of your computer, they're saying with that graphics card on any given game if you were to replace your CPU with an even faster one, you would still get the same framerate because either CPU provides all the performance that the game needs.

Sordavie was saying the Core i5 2500k makes more sense than a Core i7 960 because it is faster than the 960 and it is cheaper. I would not recommend getting a Phenom II X6 1090T. I think your two options are to either buy a Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500k or wait for AMD's Bulldozer to come out like Acreo said and reevaluate your options then.
                        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Please post your what parts you currently have. That will make it easier for us to determine what needs to be upgraded.
                          |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

Well, the AMD HD6990 sounds phenomenal Acreo, but that's a tad bit pricey. I'm shooting for the $600-800 range for this upgrade. And Voodoo, thanks for laying that out in layman's terms for a novice.. Haha. I didn't realize that the i5 was better than the i7. See, my computer was built about 4-5 years ago by a good friend of mine, and he recently upgraded himself about a year ago. I was going to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4870, but he told me that that is what he purchased when he upgraded, and that I could find better, so I'm looking for a graphics card of similiar price ($214 is the price of the 4870 currently) but of possibly better quality?

As for the processor, the i5-2500k sounds good. Once I actually GET the parts and get the computer together, I'm going to ask that same friend to show me the basics, maybe how to overclock it to a reasonable speed? Is that%2

Comment

@corester,

That motherboard is for a AMD processor. What you want is something like this (Intel LGA 1155 socket): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131724

To find out what parts are in your current rig do this:

1. Download and install PC Wizard
                              2. Run PC Wizard
                              3. Click on the Computer icon and copy and paste that info into a post and post here.

Without knowing what's already in your rig and how big your case is, we can't say for sure the parts you want will fit/work.

As for the 1000W PSU, you don't need that unless you're planning on using multiple graphics cards.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X