Presents and hardware question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presents and hardware question

For my upcoming b-day, i bought myself Windows 7 and a 64 gig SSD for my desktop. I'm getting sick of Vista and want to make the switch.

I was hoping to install 7 on the SSD, and use my current harddrive for storage. I'm wondering if it's possible to install my ArmA2 (Steam Version) on the SSD while having the rest of the Steam games install on my larger hardrive. ArmA2, from what I hear, has a great performance boost on a SSD, and I want to see if I can get it running separately.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Presents and hardware question

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an official function: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7710-tdlc-0426

That said, there are two potential options:
    1) Install ArmA2 outside of Steam (sometimes you can get a digital distributable from the developer/publisher, sometimes not)
    2) Find out if you can juggle two separate Steam installs

The magic 8ball says "Unlikely" on option 2 but hey.

Comment

It's possible. I do the same for BC2. The trick is to install ArmA2 on the HDD first, transfer the installation over to the SSD, then create a link. Unfortunately this involves uninstalling Steam and reinstalling it, but given you're reinstalling your OS, I don't think this is an issue.
      1. When you first install Steam, make sure it installs on your HDD. This was install all future Steam games to your HDD.
      2. Install ArmA2 like you would any of your other Steam games, to your HDD.
      3. Prior to moving ArmA2 to your SSD, execute the game to set up all the initial settings that Steam runs when executing the game for the 1st time. From my experience, transferring the game to the SSD before running it causes issues with that particular game.
      4. After you've initialized the game (via execution) for the first time, exit the game and exit steam.
      5. Copy the game over to your SSD. To keep things simple, I create an exact copy of the location in my SSD. If my HDD were the F: drive, and I installed Steam to the default location of F:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common, I'd copy the game to C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common.
      6. Go to the command prompt and execute the following command. The syntax is: mklink /j [link location] [target location]
        mklink /J "F:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\<FOLDER>" "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\<FOLDER>"
        Here, you just fill out the folder name of the game you moved (I'm guessing \ArmA2).
      7. After the symbolic link is created, you should see a folder that resembles a shortcut folder in your default steam game folder on your HDD.
      8. Run the game as usual from Steam

Previously, I defaulted the installation to my SSD and then moved the games to my HDD, but I noticed the moved games often had troubles when updating. Since I want most of my games on my HDD and only a select few on my SSD, I found it much easier to move games to let them install on the HDD and move them to the SSD as opposed to the other way around.

The only catch is that I wonder if the performance gained from an SSD is reduced in any form since the game has to through the Steam HDD first. I'm not sure and I haven't done any tests, so I recommend testing it out by playing the game on the HDD prior to moving it to the SSD, then replaying it post-move and noting if there were any noticeable differences.

Comment

I think Flar's first option is better. You should just get a separate copy of ArmA II digitally and have it installed on the SSD and just leave the rest of your Steam games and app installed on the second HDD. That way you're not dealing with the mess above (it's a bigger headache if you have to redo later).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Brokeback's method for putting the most played games on your SSD and the rest on your HDD is actually really straight forward if you follow his instructions and I think your best bet if you'd rather not repurchase ARMA II and its expansions.
          "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
            Brokeback's method for putting the most played games on your SSD and the rest on your HDD is actually really straight forward if you follow his instructions and I think your best bet if you'd rather not repurchase ARMA II and its expansions.
            I'd rather go through an hours worth of fiddling then spend another 60 dollars for a game i already own.

Thank you Broke.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X