Looking for a soundcard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a soundcard

A few months ago, I got the Sennheiser 360s and a Xonar DX with it. They've been working great, but lately the DX has been giving me issues in that any major update, whether it be Windows Update or even a graphics driver update would cause the DX to not be detected.

I've done some research on this, and found a few "solutions", from ignoring code signing of device drivers to looking at the EEPRPOM, all to no avail. I've basically given up. I heard the D1 (the PCI version of this card) doesn't have this issue, so I'll give that a try. If it doesn't, I plan on just looking into getting another soundcard.

I know a few people here have Sennheiser headsets. What do you use for your soundcard? I'm just looking for recommendations in general. I use my headset mostly for gaming. I do listen to music every now and then, but I'm not too picky on it so quality of music output is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Looking for a soundcard

I have the PC350's and a Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer soundcard (I think lol). I was disheartened to read of your issues with the Xonar DX as I was thinking of switching to that card due to the long line of problems associated with Creative cards (appalling drivers, support etc).

However it seems apparent to me that Windows updates cause all sorts of problems with soundcards, from seemingly renenabling previously disabled onboard sound when you have a discrete soundcard to just messing with your settings. Check your base windows settings regularly, I have to.

The Creative card has great sound quality but the issues I have had have been a major put off. I have read that the Titanium series of Creative cards and most of the very top end one ($100 ish) have less problems. Maybe check out some reviews on those. If I remember the names of the specific cards (that appear to have better Driver support) from Creative I will post them up.

Comment

Yeah, the DX was working great... I don't know what happened. It's pretty annoying that I can't update anything. I've read that it's a PCI-E thing and may not be an issue with the PCI based D1. I bit the bullet and bought the D1 yesterday, so I should be getting it sometime in the next few days. I'll let you know if getting the D1 fixes anything. Then again, this issue didn't come up until a few months after installing it, so if something happens then I'll revive this thread.

Comment

if you're not that picky on music sound quality then why don't you just use your motherboards onboard sound?
        "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Normally, I would have, but since I actually used the card, there's a significant difference in the mobo integrated sound vs. the output of the DX, especially in-game.

Anyway, Wickens, I tried the D1, and it works great. I had an issue installing the driver at first, but after I restarted, it installed fine. I was able to update Windows and my graphics drivers without affecting my sound whatsoever. Then again, the DX worked nicely initially, as well. I guess time will tell.

I know you have a near-identical setup to mine, so if you're considering the DX/D1, it's worth a shot. Although, given my issues with the DX, I'd suggest the D1 over the DX.

Comment

Thats great news Broke, pleased for you, I will now put the D1 on my list of things I 'need' to get lol.

Comment

I am kind of wanting my sound card to go out so I can try this - http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_forte.php
              Viking

Comment

Hmm, intrigued, but it says the word 'Creative' in the overview (chipset). Probably not an issue but I shudder when I hear the name lol.

Comment

I bought the D1 based solely on what you guys said here, after seeing it was under a hundred dollars, and I'm glad I did, I can't wait to try out BF2 PR with this thing.
                  |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X