Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i format my hard drive, But keep my windows installation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i format my hard drive, But keep my windows installation?

Hey there, I currently broke my windows xp install disk!OOPS! But now i wish to re-install my system, is there any way i can do it without removing the windows files? E.g delete the whole hard drive but keep the windows xp installation in. Thanks.

I am now download Windows XP Home Edition from bearshare, But im worried about what will happen if the installation has an error half way through? If it does well.. then im.... pritty.... *uk*d
    Last edited by Craigster; 07-18-2005, 10:35 AM.
    Abehep

Re: How do i format my hard drive, But keep my windows installation?

Craig, you cant reformat and keep contents of the drive. Once you format, everything is gone. If you still have your cd-key, I would recomend downloading an iso image from your favorite p2p program and burning it to cd. MAKE SURE you use your own legit key. Dont steal software.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

What's an iso image?
      Abehep

Comment

An ISO image is a file that contains the contents of a CD. You can look at it as an exact copy of a cd, in one file. You will need cd burning software to be able to do this. You can ask jeeves how to do this. They bring you through many different softwares. If you have a cdrw drive, you most likely have one of the softwares listed there. Goodluck!
        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

So, if i wanted to keep burn the windows installation, How would i do that?
          Abehep

Comment

You dont burn your windows installation... IF you LEGALLY own a copy of windows you can (somewhat) legally (some would probably argue this) download a copy of windows from bit torrent, or kazaa, or emule or... any peer to pee source you want to use, then burn this onto cd or dvd or whatever and then install a new copy of windows from this using the CD key that came with your LEGAL copy of windows.

Comment

if you own a legal copy, then you are allowed an archival copy of the media for whick you own the license. If you need to get the media from the internet, as long as it is an original, non-edited copy, I seriously doubt microsoft will be knocking on your door. The media is not the key component, the COA and license key are. (the sticker)
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Cool thanks, Were do u suggest i search for a copy of windows? ( By the way my windows xp is legal, and so is my cd-key! )
                Abehep

Comment

Oh dont worry about were to find it, I found some on bearshare! THANKS GUYS!
                  Abehep

Comment

The main thing im worried about is, What if the installation has an error in the middle? then wot?!?
                    Abehep

Comment

Please help :(:(
                      Abehep

Comment

:(:(:(:(:(:( lol:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
                        Abehep

Comment

If the installation has an error in the middle, then you are screwed until you can get a good version.

Windows licences come in many formats. Some are sold through computer retail companies. These are cheap because microsoft does not need to factor in costs for technical support - you will have to go to the supplier in order to get windows help. If you have a full retail version then you can get support, and even order replacement media (ie a CD) at cost.

I am assuming you have the former because you don't have a CD. Contact the company that supplied the PC to you and they might be able to send you a copy of the media for a small fee. Alternatively as you have bought a licence of Windows to use form that supplier, you could insist that they resupply you with the OS. Check their terms and conditions. Most suppliers ghost the installation on anyhow.

Installing the media off of the internet can be problematic. Also as mentioned above the licensing issues are not 100% clear.

----

It is better to reinstall windows in this instance as you will have some huge performance benefits. Windows XP especially clogs up quick, and this can cause a real slow down. My windows booting can take around 10 seconds longer after 3 months of being installed. Remember to back up all of your drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                            if you own a legal copy, then you are allowed an archival copy of the media for whick you own the license. If you need to get the media from the internet, as long as it is an original, non-edited copy, I seriously doubt microsoft will be knocking on your door. The media is not the key component, the COA and license key are. (the sticker)
                            Microsoft doesnt really give a crap about joe-schmo that pirates a copy of windows. If they did they would make windows update auto-report copies that fail update because of invalid keys/overused keys. The fact of the matter is the only thing they care about is corporations that buy tens of thousands of highly priced corporate liscences, and manufacturers that force their buyers to purchase with windows already installed.

Comment

What your suggesting, is that if i download a copy from p2p client, The performance of windows xp will decrease? I'm mainly formatting so that i can get the games i play to run alot faster, As they are pritty slow at the moment ( online gaming )
                              Abehep

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X