No announcement yet.

Looking for gaming laptop.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for gaming laptop.

Hey Guys.

I will be on the road a lot in the near future so i am looking into getting a decent gaming laptop. I want it to be able to handle BF3 perfectly so i will need latest GPU (perhaps NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM), I7 CPU, 6gb+ memory and 64bit version of Windows. I have looked into Alienware and Asus laptops. Alienware are ridiculously overpriced and i had some bad experiences with Asus in the past. Did anyone recently purchased a gaming laptop and is completely satisfied with it? Any laptop or laptop selling web sites you guys recommend?
    Any feedback and help will be appreciated.

Re: Looking for gaming laptop.

In my search for a college laptop I learned of many great choices for this purpose.
    One of the most recommended is the Sager np8130/8150, comes with a 560m gpu which is upgradable to a 6970m or 485m. Pretty nice for around $1300 (for the 560m).

What's your price range?

Well, I got an Asus G73Jh which has an i7 Quad Core 1.6-2.8, ATI 5870 1Gb, got 2 500 Gb hard drives, 8Gb DDR3, window 7 64 bit Ultimate, 4x blu-ray, and it is a 17.3 inch and it came a lot of side goodies too. It does have wifi and bluetooth. I paid about $2200. I customized a lot of things with this build because the base version is only $1500

I bought it from Xotic PC.

I know they made a few newer versions because this one was customized and bought last August. I think there is a version with the new 6,000 series from ATI and a version with Nvidia's line.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
          What's your price range?
          I don't want to spend more then 2k

Try looking at: or

I am looking at this:
              Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM
              - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
              - Included nVIDIA Wireless 3D Glasses (Bundled with 3D Screen)
              - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
              - - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)
              - - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
              - ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD6970 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11
              - No Video Adapter
              - ~ 8,192MB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
              - Standard Finish
              - ~ 120GB Intel 510 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III)
              - ~ 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)-
              - HDD Raid Settings - OFF
              - ~ Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included)
              - No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
              - No Back Up Hard Drive
              - NO External USB Optical Drive
              - No Floppy Drive
              - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
              - No Back Up Software
              - None Standard--
              - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth
              - No Network Accessory
              - Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
              - No TV Tuner
              - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
              - Basic Black Business Case - Included
              - Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
              - No Car Adapter
              - None Standard*
              - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
              - Integrated Fingerprint Reader
              - No External Keyboard or Mouse
              - No Notebook Cooler
              - No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
              - ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
              - No Office Software
              - No Software Bundle
              - 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
              Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
              - No Xotic PC Gear
              PRICE $2159

Any word of advice?

Found a review: The only flaw is the fan noise that I see.

To me, heat build-up is always the issue with laptops themselves.

I have a sony viao with blue ray for gaming / movie watching on the road. I like many parts of it. it is not a flashy looking gaming machine so it can double duty as a work laptop at meetings and presentations. it has a 220m gpu and an i7 cpu. it plays bfbc2 decent with 30 fps.

What I dislike: Fan noise that is loud, heat on the keyboard where my hands are resting, low battery life, and crappy hotel internet connections that give me a 300 ping most of the time, I got a large 17 inch unit. I regret getting something so large. I would be fine with a 15 inch screen for portability, a smaller screen will also use less battery and allow for higher fps if the native resolution is smaller.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Smaller 15" laptops tend to sacrifice on the type of GPU you can put in it and i don't want to do that since i want to run BF3 on highest settings.

I heard from that AMD Radeon HD 6970M GPU with 2GB GDDR5 will be able to run BF3 at medium settings at best, but the source is not reliable, can anyone confirm that? What GPU do i need ?

No one knows what the system requirements are. If playing BF3 is a large determinant in the laptop you choose, you should wait until closer to release date(if you aren't going to be traveling right away) for better information.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Ostry, is portability that important to you? It seems if you want to maximize performance, especially at a good price, desktops are better suited.

One place to check out is Puget Computers. They're not as cheap as Jak's CyberPower, but they have incredible build quality and stress test each part to ensure it won't fail.

I also like how you didn't want to spend over 2k, yet your first build posted is over it. :p

Wow these are pricy, i think i'll go with Sager once i know BF3 system requirements, which should be available along with Beta in September.

Asus G73SW. IMO it is one of the best out. Best Buy has a low end version of it on display that you can see and touch first. You can get a killer version of the SW for around 1800.
                            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

MSI has a new gaming laptop out.
                              |TG-12th| asch

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed