Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel CPU - Sandy Bridge 2600k vs i7 Extreme 6 core processors

Hey guys,

With battlefield 3 coming right around the corner, I am seriously considering putting together my own rig for the first time. It seems like the way to go if money is an object, which it is for me.
    My question is, is it worth getting a six core processor like say the i7 970 or the quad core i7 2600k? The price difference on newegg is about 300 bucks, the 970 being more expensive.... I was thinking about sacrificing graphics power by getting the gtx 480 and putting that extra money into the six core, any thoughts?

Thanks guys.
    sigpic

Re: Intel CPU - Sandy Bridge 2600k vs i7 Extreme 6 core processors

Rumors say that BF3 may take advantage of anywhere from 4-8 cores. This does not mean that you will see a direct multiplication of performance in comparison to the number of cores. However, they are just rumors so you would be better of waiting until we have more information on the game and how it utilizes different hardware if you don't have any other pressing need for a new computer.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
      Rumors say that BF3 may take advantage of anywhere from 4-8 cores. This does not mean that you will see a direct multiplication of performance in comparison to the number of cores. However, they are just rumors so you would be better of waiting until we have more information on the game and how it utilizes different hardware if you don't have any other pressing need for a new computer.
      Yea definitely going to wait for the system requirements to come out. I've also been heared that BF3 will be a very CPU intensive game, which is why I would rather sacrifice some graphics processing power...
      sigpic

Comment

If the i7-2600K isn't enough CPU to run BF3 really well, something has gone horribly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
          If the i7-2600K isn't enough CPU to run BF3 really well, something has gone horribly wrong.
          Indeed.

Keep in mind that there are some differences between the 2600K and the 970. The 2600K has a unlocked multiplier making overclocking a breeze. The 970 has locked multipliers. Also the 970 is rated at 130W TDP vs. the 95W rating of the 2600K (more heat vs. less). As Namebot pointed out, just because it's 6 cores doesn't mean you'll get some significant performance boost. It all relies on how the application you're running is threaded and if it can take advantage of the extra cores (most can't).

Unless you're running some server applications or demanding development apps, it's not worth getting the 970 for a small perceived benefit in gaming. When it comes down to it, you'll get more benefit pairing a 2600K with a better graphics card (say the HD6990).
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I doubt that they are targeting 6 cores with BF3 as most people are still using dual core or quad core processors. I can't find the article right now, but I recently read that the hardware requirements and performance were going to be very similar to Bad Company 2. I would imagine that means any computer that can run Bad Company 2 very well will at least be able to run BF3 smoothly.
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooIT View Post
              I doubt that they are targeting 6 cores with BF3 as most people are still using dual core or quad core processors. I can't find the article right now, but I recently read that the hardware requirements and performance were going to be very similar to Bad Company 2. I would imagine that means any computer that can run Bad Company 2 very well will at least be able to run BF3 smoothly.
              And BC2 runs quite well on my old E8400 dual-core with a 9600GT. So the 2600K is more than enough to handle BF3 if performance and hardware requirements are similar to BC2.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thats all the info i needed, im not about to spend 300 plus dollars on a six core when i can put it toward a better graphics card. Now the only question is which graphics card will give me the best performance with the 2600k. Ah the beauty of research !
                sigpic

Comment

Do you use Maya at all?

I ask since this tends to be a breakaway decision for AMD graphics cards. If you use Maya, then you're pretty much stuck with nVidia for the forseeable future. If you don't use Maya, you have a pretty beefy selection.

The best single graphics card out there right now is the HD6990 (it's a dual GPU card). Performance in BC2 is pretty spectacular with over 50 frames per second on HD or higher resolution (1920 x 1080). On the nvidia side of things, the GTX590 is their most powerful single card (also dual GPU).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Do you use Maya at all?

I ask since this tends to be a breakaway decision for AMD graphics cards. If you use Maya, then you're pretty much stuck with nVidia for the forseeable future. If you don't use Maya, you have a pretty beefy selection.

The best single graphics card out there right now is the HD6990 (it's a dual GPU card). Performance in BC2 is pretty spectacular with over 50 frames per second on HD or higher resolution (1920 x 1080). On the nvidia side of things, the GTX590 is their most powerful single card (also dual GPU).
                    To be honest, I'm not planning on using any 3D graphics software, my main concern is to run BF3 on max settings. I had my eye on a GTX 590, but 800 bucks for a video card is kind of nuts... I was thinking of going with the GTX 580 since that's what the developers said was running BF3 at E3. I tend to shy away from AMD, probably for all the wrong reasons hehe. Down the line if the price drops, maybe I will get another to SLI them... what are the power requirements for an SLI setup? I was thinking of going with a 1050w power supply. And does anyone know of a good mobo combo to go with the i7 2600k?
                    sigpic

Comment

There isn't anything wrong with AMD graphics cards. They're more power efficient now, generate less heat (thanks to AMD's experience on the CPU front) and right are the king of gaming cards (HD6990 + HD6970 == "TripleFire" == the best experience across multiple HD monitors in the most demanding games).

Since you're not going to drop a bucket of money on a card, then I won't recommend the 590 or the 6990 since both are $600+ cards. I'd probably recommend the GTX580 then. The single best single GPU graphics card on the market right now.

SLI isn't worth it unless you have one of those 30"+ monitors (2560 x 1600 resolution) or planning on multi-monitor gaming. As for power requirements, it all depends on which cards you plan on SLI'ing. If it's going to be two GTX580s, then I'd get a 650W or better quality PSU. Ideally, I'd be looking at 750W PSUs. They offer more than enough power for your whole rig even 5 years down the line (capacitors lose some of their rating over time).

Unfortunately there aren't as many SLI ready 1155 boards as there are Crossfire ready boards. Given that, I'd highly recommend going with this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131703

$175 - ASUS P8P67 SLI Ready.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        There isn't anything wrong with AMD graphics cards. They're more power efficient now, generate less heat (thanks to AMD's experience on the CPU front) and right are the king of gaming cards (HD6990 + HD6970 == "TripleFire" == the best experience across multiple HD monitors in the most demanding games).

Since you're not going to drop a bucket of money on a card, then I won't recommend the 590 or the 6990 since both are $600+ cards. I'd probably recommend the GTX580 then. The single best single GPU graphics card on the market right now.

SLI isn't worth it unless you have one of those 30"+ monitors (2560 x 1600 resolution) or planning on multi-monitor gaming. As for power requirements, it all depends on which cards you plan on SLI'ing. If it's going to be two GTX580s, then I'd get a 650W or better quality PSU. Ideally, I'd be looking at 750W PSUs. They offer more than enough power for your whole rig even 5 years down the line (capacitors lose some of their rating over time).

Unfortunately there aren't as many SLI ready 1155 boards as there are Crossfire ready boards. Given that, I'd highly recommend going with this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131703

$175 - ASUS P8P67 SLI Ready.
                        That board looks great... now I'm worrying about the room inside the case, and which case will give me decent cable management. Since this is the first time I'm putting a rig together, I was looking at the Corsair Obsidian Series 650D http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139006 since it looks like it has a nice built in cable management system. I'm also pretty much sold on the EVGA GTX 580 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130587 .
                        sigpic

Comment

I have a Cooler Master tower case and I really love it. Lots of room and everything is cool, lots of big fans.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

That Corsair 650D is an awesome case and it does make cable routing neat and easy. It also makes installing and removing hard drives down the road very easy to do since they are aligned perpendicular to how most cases align hard drives. This means you don't have to uninstall graphics card or other expansion cards just to add/remove a hard drive.

A cheaper, but still awesome version of this case is the Corsair 600T which is about $40 cheaper.
                            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I agree, that Corsair 650D and the 600T are both great cases if you care about cable management. I would still invest in some velcro ties to better manage those cables into neat bundles which really helping with routing through those holes in the case.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X