Welcome to a faster web

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to a faster web

SPDY, a protocol Google revealed in late 2009, dramatically speeds up Web page loading by changing the way that browsers communicate with servers. Until now, Google has only tested the research project internally and deployed it on a few of its own sites. But today, the protocol launches as a commercial product.

Website optimization company Strangeloop has built SPDY into its flagship product Site Optimizer, software that sits in between a website and its users, and adjusts the site's code to make pages load more quickly. Strangeloop's customers will have the ability to turn the protocol on easily; in tests, the protocol has sped up websites by 10 to 20 percent.
    Source: http://www.technologyreview.com/web/37772/?p1=A2

I have noticed already some increase in how fast Youtube loads, etc.

Note: You must be using Chrome, and since this is new the servers must support SPDY for it to work. Only a few exist at the moment.

Here is a step-by-step on how to do it:

Open Network and Sharing Center

Go to VIEW STATUS on your connection

Click Properties

Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 ---> go to Properties

Click "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

Type in
    Primary: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220

This can also be done to your router as well. Open up your router stuff in a browser, go to the basic settings and change the DNS to what I have above.

Then:

For those who may have problems, open up your COMMAND PROMPT in admin mode.

Type ipconfig/flushdns

-clear your browser cache completely. close the browser. Done.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: Welcome to a faster web

Sounds like some of the layering tech they have for web hosting side of the industry (where common pages are cached then forwarded as a compressed stream to your browser). The downside is that cache on the client side and server side would have to be flushed if a particular page is updated often (like daily or hourly).

They speak of this tech applying to mobile browsers. Ironic how Opera Mobile and Opera Mini already has a similar technology layer already in place that does what I basically describe above.

That DNS stuff you have doesn't sound like it should be applied to the router end. I'm pretty sure it's applied to a special section in Chrome's settings instead. Otherwise, everything on your entire network would be routed through this protocol even your gaming packets which I'm not sure it can even handle properly.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDY
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

those dns server addresses are for opendns. I have been using them (and thus had them memorized) for 8 years or so.... has something changed? Do I need to go to google's 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8? I don't want trickery in my DNS, I want fast, clean, and rock solid.... maybe fast updates (like 12 hours or less) but even that isn't a must.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
        those dns server addresses are for opendns. I have been using them (and thus had them memorized) for 8 years or so.... has something changed? Do I need to go to google's 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8? I don't want trickery in my DNS, I want fast, clean, and rock solid.... maybe fast updates (like 12 hours or less) but even that isn't a must.
        Ah, well that explains a few things. No wonder I could find any documention on the SPDY Google page.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X