Constant Bad Company 2 Crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Bad Company 2 Crashes

Hello mates (: I was wondering if anyone else had this on board audio crash problem that I have for bad company 2. I play for maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour, sound repeats in cycle and I get a frozen computer. no way of exit, ALT-f4, and ALT-TAB. I'm forced to manually restart my PC. So far I have tried updating to the latest Realtek drivers, Latest ATI drivers, and various fixes people have tried for this same problem. But I haven't had any luck what so ever. :( any ideas buds?

My system specifications:
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.60 Ghz
    Biostar TA785GE mother board
    AMD ATI 3870 512 mb video card 804.0 Mhz
    3.25 GB DDR2 1200.0 Mhz

Re: Constant Bad Company 2 Crashes

Is your CPU or GPU overheating? Most likely one of those two components might be too hot, thus causing a lockup (requiring a hard reset).

You can easily check the temperatures of both using:

SpeedFan (allows you to check both CPU and GPU temps all in one place) - leave it running and play the game for a few minutes, then exit out and check the highest temps of both.

Alternatively, you can:

Use CoreTemp for your CPU and MSI Afterburner for your GPU. Afterburner will give you a onscreen display in the upper left area of your screen in game showing you framerates and GPU core temperature. Play for a few minutes and see how hot your GPU gets. Leave the game and open up CoreTemp and check what the highest temp was for your CPU cores.

Typically for graphics cards, anything below 125 C is "normal/safe" temp. For CPUs in general, you want each core to be at least 15-20 C away from TJMax (the temp at which it triggers a automatic power off of everything in your system).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Other people have reported the same issue with realtek onboard audio. You can try a sound card or disabling your onboard sound to see if that solves it.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

I crash all the time in BFBC2, I have a 6900 series GFX and realtek onboard as well. No other game crashes for me.
        USAR

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions (:
          I downloaded after burner and the 3870 runs about 60c,
          and the phenom II runs at 67c in game that's a hot processor :(
          I have a decent case HAF 922 but it's obviously running hot in there.
          I shall also try disabling the on board audio, I don't know if i should
          spend the extra money on a sound card for a single game yet. :(

Comment

You shouldn't disable onboard audio if you actually use it (i.e. don't use a sound card).

Have you updated anything in your computer lately? I'd go into BIOS and make sure all settings are where they should be. Right after I installed new RAM, my game constantly crashed after some BC2, and only BC2. It turns out my BIOS was set to 1.5v of RAM, where my new RAM required 1.6v. After I fixed that, I haven't crashed since. Double check your RAM voltages (who knows, maybe they changed), if not, I'd double check those audio drivers. Download the latest, uninstall and reinstall.

Comment

Your temps are fine, and you've got a more than capable CPU, but it may be your GPU that's bogging down as it's several generations ago. Make sure ALL your BC2 settings are set to low. What resolution is your monitor and what resolution are you running the game at?

:icon_frow
              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
              sigpic

Comment

I had a problem with World of Tanks and it was a GPU problem. Download the free app "Open Hardware Monitor" it will show a lot of reading in graph form. It helped me a lot.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I also have a Phenom II X4 955 processor and it's stock speed is 3.2 GHz. Perhaps the overclock to 3.6 GHz is the problem? Some games just don't like overclocks so, in addition to the above mentioned fixes, I would also revert any OC'ing to stock speeds.

Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton926 View Post
                    Thank you for the suggestions (:
                    I downloaded after burner and the 3870 runs about 60c,
                    and the phenom II runs at 67c in game that's a hot processor :(
                    I have a decent case HAF 922 but it's obviously running hot in there.
                    Well AMD's listed max "safe" temp is 62 C overall. If a straight average of all the core temps is 67, I'd probably consider lowering your OC or keeping it at stock temps until you get a better cooler (like the Hyper 212 or another aftermarket cooler).

Otherwise, your graphics card is running really cool.

Zippy points out the other issue I was going to address: the age of your 3870 vs. the game. It's a old card and I doubt it can really keep up in BC2.

Do you have a more powerful graphics card lying around you could swap in?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Alright, so I cleaned out my case it was extremely dusty towards the front of the case.
                      I ran the game for a few minutes to check the temperature's again and they are as following:
                      CPU 54c
                      3870 30c
                      I checked my ram timings, voltages and a few other settings in BIOS and all seems to be fine. :)
                      Would 54c be okay for my 3.6 Ghz overclock on stock cooling? or should I upgrade the heatsink?
                      Yes, My card is fairly outdated now :( I get an average of 43 fps, on medium settings at 1600X900.
                      I really wish I had another card lying around but for now I must wait until I have a decent amount of
                      money to purchase another :( I hope all goes well when I test it out today.

I really appreciate the help guys, thank you all (:

Comment

54C is fine. That's more like the "right" temperature for a Phenom II CPU.

Are you sure you're using the latest Catalyst drivers?
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

So I tested Bad Company 2 once again. Same problem even after everything I previously did. :(
                          I continued doing research on google as I have been doing for a while, and decided eh I'll give
                          youtube a shot. I found a video with what I believe and tested for about two and a half hours
                          as the answer :) basically you disable your GPU's HDMI sound card.

Controlpanel -> HardwareSound -> Sound -> Disable your corresponding ATI/Nvidia sound card.

the video has no more then 1,500 views

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxFB9...el_video_title

for a huge problem, 256 pages of reports on EA's official forum.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/4020/380660.page

I hope this is truly the answer for everyone's problems, I believe it is we all have ATI/Nvidia GPU's
                          seeing as most cards I believe ranging from my 3870 to the newest cards all render audio on board.
                          And everyone with this problem is not using a discrete audio processing unit. There is an interference
                          in game in between your ATI/Nvidia sound and your on board Realtek HD audio.

I will further test this out, but so far so good :)
                          I hope we can pass this information around the Bad Company 2 section for the rest of our mates
                          with this problems to hopefully correct it and enjoy some game play without having to worry about
                          a sudden crash of your system :)

Comment

Good news. I'm glad you found this solution, and it was actually the next question I was going to ask you. There are a lot of threads on this subject on the EVGA forums regarding Nvidia's included HD Audio and 3D drivers as part of their latest driver suite download (275.xx). Since I have a separate sound card and a non-3D monitor, I exclude all of the HD Audio, 3D, and other extras included in the latest Nvidia drivers. For my GTX 580, 560 and 275 cards I only install the Display driver and PhysX driver, and fortunately this has allowed me to play crash free. So it seems ATI drivers have some of the same issues.

Have fun! -Zip

:icon_frow
                            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                            sigpic

Comment

That's a interesting solution. I've never had to do anything like that for my HD5830 in playing BC2. You should definitely go and post that solution over at the EA forums so other people are aware of it.

Out of curiosity, were you using HDMI to connect your monitor to your PC?
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X