Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon Droid X Android 2.3 Gingerbread update

From CNET:

Motorola and Verizon Wireless are expected to deploy Android 2.3 to the Droid X on Friday, May 27. The Gingerbread update is rather sizable at 112MB, but it comes with a host of new features and enhancements including a new download manager app, application grouping, and an updated user interface (see our Samsung Nexus S review for the full Gingerbread features). Additionally, it should be easier to enter numbers and symbols, copy and paste text, and manage contacts.

In addition to the typical stability and general performance tweaks, Verizon has also improved upon the calendar, camera, and e-mail functions. More specifically, the update addresses bugs and missing features on the Exchange Active Sync side of things.

As is the case with many mobile software updates, the Gingerbread rollout will be in waves. Should you find yourself not wanting to wait your turn, you can initiate the update by searching for the update in your Droid X's settings. Verizon has a dedicated page to help walk users through the software update if necessary.
    In case you didn't realize that your Droid X has an update available - it does. It actually started rolling out last month - but I never got any type of notification on my phone. I just happened across the news about a week ago and downloaded the update manually. Needless to say, it's awesome. They added some new, minor bells and whistles, but it's the performance of my phone that has drastically improved. Before the update my phone used to randomly lock-up and freeze - overall performance wasn't that great to be honest, but no longer. And the new interface makes it feel like you have just bought a brand new phone.

Verizon has a full description of the changes and features of the update Here. To update the Droid X, just go to settings, about phone, and then system updates.

It's rather nice to have a phone that's about a year old - Droid X - and get the latest Android OS made available to be honest. I'm just pleasantly pleased, but here's the real stunner about the Gingerbread update:

From Android Police:

Netflix Now Officially Compatible With Gingerbread-Running DROID X

Gingerbread-using DROID X owners, your handsets are excluded from the elite ranks of Netflix-compatible devices no more; a recent update to the official Netflix application added support for your 2.3-running phones. Unfortunately, the DROID X is the only Gingerbread handset (with the exception of the Nexus phones) currently compatible with the movie rental service Ė my EVO 4G, which received its official 2.3 update a few weeks ago, still canít access the app. Additionally, those DROID X users still running Froyo are left out of the fun. Bummer.

Nevertheless, if youíre rocking an updated DROID X and feel like adding a touch of Netflix to your Gingerbread-infused phone, you can grab the app via the widget below.
    If you have a Droid X and a Netflix account it: Update your OS and get the Netflix App at the Android Market. It's pure love!

|TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Verizon Droid X Android 2.3 Gingerbread update

Yeah..rub it in.. I jumped on the Thunderbolt at release...and I am still stuck without Netflix.. Bleh! ..Even Rooted can't get it to work.. The lack of DRM is the killer..

Stupid DRM..

Just for that I am going to rip something...
    :icon26:
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Re: Verizon Droid X Android 2.3 Gingerbread update

Originally posted by peardog View Post
      Yeah..rub it in.. I jumped on the Thunderbolt at release...and I am still stuck without Netflix.. Bleh! ..Even Rooted can't get it to work.. The lack of DRM is the killer..

Stupid DRM..

Just for that I am going to rip something...
      :icon26:
      I feel your pain, and yes, it is the DRM issues with Netflix.

It's only a matter of time before Netflix is available on all Android devices, but it's been painful in the meantime.

Here's the current list of Netflix supported Android phones:

From Netflix:

* The Netflix app runs on these phones:
      - HTC Incredible with Android 2.2
      - HTC Nexus One with Android 2.2, 2.3
      - HTC G2 with Android 2.2
      - Samsung Nexus S with Android 2.3
      - Motorola Droid
      - LG Revolution
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X