Prog for Monitoring Network Utilization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prog for Monitoring Network Utilization

I recently 'upgraded' to a wireless router. I am concerned that I may have overlooked security settings (the thing came with very poor installation software provided by my crappy ISP, Rogers).

Under my Windows 7 Resource Monitor I see all sorts of active network connections even when no browser is loaded (on).

With Firefox browser on (open) I see 11 network connections (albeit a modest 0 to 17 Kbps Network I/O but 0% Network Utilization -- not sure of the difference between Network I/O (external in/out activity?) and Network Utilization -- a home/office internal network? (I have none -- just one cpu).

So I am looking for a FREE program that will help me interpret what are my active network connections and what exactly are they doing.

There is a bewildering variety of such -- any suggestions?
    sigpic

Re: Prog for Monitoring Network Utilization

You can access the router and it's settings by typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser, there you can setup the security for the router, your isp may have passworded the router but they should have given you that information or put it on a sticker on the router.

The other connections you are seeing are those of your neighbors that your wireless adapter is seeing, this is why you need to setup the security for the router as your neighbors will also see your network show on their PC and if you have not setup any security they will be able to use your internet connection.:row__682:

Microsoft's network monitor will let you capture and analyze your network traffic.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en
    Last edited by MrMojay; 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I accessed my routers system setup and turned off the wireless gateway (as I have no wireless applications as yet).

This appears to have reduced the number of active network connections!
      sigpic

Comment

Update:

With all browsers and progs off, I see the same 4 to 5 connections with minimal net activity, whether I have Wireless access on or off, so at this time of day, I do not think others where accessing my network connection.

I have the usual MS firewall on.
        sigpic

Comment

Those 4-5 are probably the same ones Windows uses to update itself and such. One's probably for Windows Update. Another is probably for your anti-virus. Another (possibily) for any sidebar gadgets you have running that needs info from the web, etc.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X